Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I wouldn't use or recommend either of these street tires on track.

I recommend getting a dedicated track tire.

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Got the tires in the farm truck. Now to put them on.
IMG_0528.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wouldn't use or recommend either of these street tires on track.

I recommend getting a dedicated track tire.
The impression I'm getting is that the same tires will need to be capable of pulling street duty, and that OP perhaps isn't ready for dedicated track tires quite yet. Plus, the MPSS is a go-to tire in case your track day turns out to be all wet sessions. R7's or NT01's for playing in the wet . . . I don't think so.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
The impression I'm getting is that the same tires will need to be capable of pulling street duty, and that OP perhaps isn't ready for dedicated track tires quite yet. Plus, the MPSS is a go-to tire in case your track day turns out to be all wet sessions. R7's or NT01's for playing in the wet . . . I don't think so.

Norm
Again, Norm, your absolutely right.

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
MPSS mounted up. I had the PZero all seasons before these, not as much traction in the rain as expected, but not bad. I'm sure it will get better as they brake in a little. Now I'm just waiting for some dry weather.
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Camber is right around -2°, about all I can get the way the car is currently configured. I could use a little more, but it hasn't hurt me all that much except for a couple of sessions where I was running the left side tires on the gators through the slow left sweeper that exits toward the bridge (lifting the left side of the car up an inch or so effectively rolls the entire car further over onto the right side tire outer shoulders by a full degree . . . ouch). Car can still datalog 1.3g laterally on a fairly flat track when I do my part.

:cheers:

Norm
thanks for the comment norm. yes every tire i have killed has been on the front of the gti.. fwd is not as much fun as rwd..

good news for me is my rx8 is back with a killer motor and ready to track..

as to the topic at hand. the pss will do just fine on track if camber and pressure settings are proper. or if you are at the top of the advanced class running coilovers, but then you would not be on the pss.

as to the pss dropping in price, it will be. it is being replaced by a sport4 something. it is being introduced in the larger sizes.

spent today at the conti tire series race at daytona, watched the gt350r4 i thing it is whip ass all day till the last caution. or a drive through. not sure what happened.

beers

beers

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I have 255/275 NT555 G2 all the way around. I haven't really got to do a whole lot of driving on them yet because of cold weather but when I did, they seemed to hold really well. They also do surprisingly well in cold weather (sub 30). I've had them in rain as well. Clearly if you smash the pedal they will still break loose in low gears but they handle well. They aren't too noisy either.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
MPSS mounted up. I had the PZero all seasons before these, not as much traction in the rain as expected, but not bad. I'm sure it will get better as they brake in a little. Now I'm just waiting for some dry weather.
Had a chance to do an intro shakedown yet?

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Had a chance to do an intro shakedown yet?
Yeah. I've almost put about 1000 miles on them already. It's been dry for the most part since I put them on. Dry grip is incredibly good. I'm looking forward to my commute tomorrow to see how they are in the rain now the mold release is worn off. I'm super impressed with these tires so far. They picked up a lot of crap from the road they're so sticky when brand new. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
I have 255/275 NT555 G2 all the way around. I haven't really got to do a whole lot of driving on them yet because of cold weather but when I did, they seemed to hold really well. They also do surprisingly well in cold weather (sub 30). I've had them in rain as well. Clearly if you smash the pedal they will still break loose in low gears but they handle well. They aren't too noisy either.
I have similar sentiments. Way better than expected in cold, great in rain, very good in warm/dry. But then again the mpss's I had on my previous s4 were all those things too. Overall I'd say they're 85% the tire the mpss is. So are the nitto's 85% as expensive? For me at the time they were much cheaper hence the decision.

Btw Norm you're that smooth and the tire is that beat :eyebulge:? Me thinks track day tires?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Btw Norm you're that smooth and the tire is that beat :eyebulge:? Me thinks track day tires?
Thanks for the compliment :cheers:

Yes, 10 events/1200-ish track miles :D

The rest was break-in miles, travel to and from events, and street driving in between closely scheduled events. They're still at about 60% tread depth, but I have a feeling that the next 40% wear isn't going to take another 10 events.

Norm

702TrafficCone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I just got my NT555G2 and new wheels mounted today and I'm loving them. It's been pouring rain out here in Vegas, so the streets are extra slippery and slick. But they tires have not dissapointed at all, even being brand new. The 315/35/20 rear is nice too!
Sponsored