Sponsored

Convince me why I should get a Shelby GT500...

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. (PP) Magnetic
over say, a Z51 C7?

Lets be honest here, Ford has had a lot of blows recently regarding quality control. Hell, my GT has a paint blotch on one of the pillars I never had dealt with because I thought Ford would screw it up worse!

I love my stang, I really do. But if I'm going to drop money on a vehicle, Chevrolet has had much better QC than Ford.

Someone convince me I shouldn't trade up to a current gen vette in 2018 than a shelby?
Sponsored

OP
OP
RoninRed

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the good word,but I'm hoping someone who's owned a corvette on here or at least dealt with Chevrolet can chime in and offer some insight.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Enjoy the Vette.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Having owned an early GT500 and another S197, get the Corvette.

I like my '15 GT better than I did the GT500, it's a far superior car overall despite the power difference (mine was ~540 at the tire). While I haven't been in a C7, it in turn has to be worlds apart from the S550.

It's been years since I lusted after a GM product, but I would loooooove a new Grand Sport.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
What GT500? When will we see it? How long do you want to wait?

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
over say, a Z51 C7?

Lets be honest here, Ford has had a lot of blows recently regarding quality control. Hell, my GT has a paint blotch on one of the pillars I never had dealt with because I thought Ford would screw it up worse!

I love my stang, I really do. But if I'm going to drop money on a vehicle, Chevrolet has had much better QC than Ford.

Someone convince me I shouldn't trade up to a current gen vette in 2018 than a shelby?
If the gt500 comes out, it will be way above the league of z51 c7!!! Why? Look at the current zl1 camaro, it bests even a grand sport vette. Do you think Ford is going to drop the ball on the gt500? I don't think so. Quality wise, i know how you feel, but most domestic brands suffer the same consequences! I owned a camaro and it was not perfect either. Maybe the QC is a little better with chevy but not by a lot. It all depends on those individuals at the plant.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My dealership/service experience with Chevrolet is worlds better than Ford. But Chevrolet doesn't make a Mustang, just a Camaro with A/C vents located right where you keep your hand such that it will freeze off and you will never be able to drive a stick again. Government conspiracy to make us all go to 19 speed automatics.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My bad, I was referring to S197 GT500s, since they actually exist. ;)

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
lol There is no info on the GT500 so you making a decision based on speculation of whay it will be? This is like spreadsheet bench racing

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
My dealership/service experience with Chevrolet is worlds better than Ford. But Chevrolet doesn't make a Mustang, just a Camaro with A/C vents located right where you keep your hand such that it will freeze off and you will never be able to drive a stick again. Government conspiracy to make us all go to 19 speed automatics.
There is one advantage to those vents, I don't want to be a smartass but, it prevents you resting your hand on the shifter at all times. If you value your transmission, never rest your hand on the shifter, just shift fast and put both hands on the steering wheel. It will also keep you safe!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I love these quality threads. If anyone thinks a massed produced. American owned company. Make a better car then any other. Your nuts. My 11 Camaro SS had paint peeling off a soon as I got it. The Mustang had paint issues. The only difference was the Ford dealer here was willing to give me a repaint. If you want a Corvette over a Mustang because it offers more performance. More power to ya. If you think GM has some kind of Porsche type quality. Your just crazy.

OP
OP
RoninRed

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What GT500? When will we see it? How long do you want to wait?
I'm betting my bottom dollar ford will answer Chevy with a GT500, I feel the 350 was just a dip into the water to test the market on how well a GT500 would be received.

I would be willing to wait another two years give or take a few months for product line releases.

I've a lot under my belt regarding my new job, so dumping my beloved S550 for a vette is not a move that is practical with the amount of money of dropped on her. My GT has proved to be reliable from the factory, while not without her kinks...

As for performance over cosmetics and such; I am looking for a sports car that behaves as such. Something mean that packs a punch, which is what the mustang is giving me now, but the QC and the fact that they haven't produced a mustang without the useless back seats yet is a little irritating.

Performance can be adjusted in the aftermarket.

Cosmetics are not as easily found, when you buy a chevy it seems that you get all the options you want from the factory and youd better like it, because there aren't a lot of aftermarket cosmetic options for the camaro and even less for the corvette.

I'm at a cross roads!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You're the only one who can make this decision. Lately IMO Ford is more of an innovator and they are leading the way. I don't love the way pushrod engines produce power when they are saddled with all the current environmental regs.

I don't think GM quality is better than Ford, but appearance and quality are much less important to me than innovation and function. I don't care about a cheap interior (although I actually think Ford's interior is better) or perfect paint. I DO care about a great engine and drivetrain.

Your posts come off like you are more of a Chevy fan, and if you are you should definitely buy the 'vette. If you hate it the GT500 will still be out there in a few years. You can sell the 'vette at that time and buy the GT500 later. Best of both worlds as long as your pocket book can withstand it.

OP
OP
RoninRed

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're the only one who can make this decision. Lately IMO Ford is more of an innovator and they are leading the way. I don't love the way pushrod engines produce power when they are saddled with all the current environmental regs.

I honestly haven't looked too much into the way of differences between the engines, but this is something I should look into I suppose.

I don't think GM quality is better than Ford, but appearance and quality are much less important to me than innovation and function. I don't care about a cheap interior (although I actually think Ford's interior is better) or perfect paint. I DO care about a great engine and drivetrain.

I think that GM is tighter about their product until it gets into your hands, I have heard stories about Chevy dealerships red flagging customer vehicles that have had factory issues, because the owner put in an CAI or larger brakes, leaving the owner helpless... but I've also seen the numerous accounts of factory defects being denied repair by Ford on their products as well. I think its a catch 22 with customer service and QC.

Your posts come off like you are more of a Chevy fan, and if you are you should definitely buy the 'vette. If you hate it the GT500 will still be out there in a few years. You can sell the 'vette at that time and buy the GT500 later. Best of both worlds as long as your pocket book can withstand it.

I really don't like Chevy all too much, I think the Camaro is a hideous coffin box and under performs dollar for dollar compared to the Mustang; not to mention everyone around where i live is Chevy through and through (of course I didnt realize this until I got so much crap for my stang lol)

I think ultimately it will come down to just sitting in a Vette and driving one to really figure out what feels best. I have the basic feel for a mustang, I'm sure the GT500 will have a nice interior but it wont deviate too much from a GT prem. but a vette is unknown territory. I don't think I've ever even sat in one...

I'm thankful this is something I'm worrying about and not if I'm going to be able to eat tonight!
Sponsored