Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I've had a S550 GTPP since Nov 2014, and this week my boss just picked up a 2016 WRX STI. Out the door I paid $38K and he ended up out the door at $46K. I've been giving him sh*t because for almost 10K less I told him I could still out run him.

We are both sports car enthusiasts and are skilled drivers. Head to head, which would come out on top at the drag strip and at the track? I cannot seem to find any video or real world comparisons on these two vehicles.
Sponsored

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you can launch well or if from a roll you'll win easily. AWD means he'll jump you from a dig but if your launch is decent you'll reel him in.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
On the launch you don't stand a chance but after that you should have no problem.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
S550 wins in every category. Like others have said, the launch from a dig in that STi (assuming he knows what hes doing) can be viscous. However, i dont see him willing dropping that clutch at 4k rpms either, being a brand new car and all. Who knows tho? Track and strip, the GT SHOULD win. Only one way to know for sure tho! ;)

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Wow, $46k for an STI? The AWD is nice for all weather and four seasons, but other then that you got a much better buy, that's for sure.

The mustang is nicer inside and out, has more power, and I believe it's probably more reliable too, from all I've heard about the STI's.

Add to that the much better aftermarket support for the mustang.

With all that said, the STI is still a really cool car though, and no slouch off the line.

Sponsored

Supa LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, $46k for an STI? The AWD is nice for all weather and four seasons, but other then that you got a much better buy, that's for sure.

The mustang is nicer inside and out, has more power, and I believe it's probably more reliable too, from all I've heard about the STI's.

Add to that the much better aftermarket support for the mustang.

With all that said, the STI is still a really cool car though, and no slouch off the line.
Dude paid a severe markup for sure. They can be had for $40k. There's a much larger aftermarket world for the sti. It's the same engine they've been using since 2004, just a few minor tweaks.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
As an owner of a 2004 Sti for several years I'm utterly shocked that it sells for over $40K now. It was a fantastic perf car yes, but it was also really cheap (not as cheap as say an Evo in the day) but you got what you paid for for $30K. But back then, 300 HP was something, today every family sedan V6 has it and can be had for under $30K easy.

RobMustang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Automatic
As an owner of a 2004 Sti for several years I'm utterly shocked that it sells for over $40K now. It was a fantastic perf car yes, but it was also really cheap (not as cheap as say an Evo in the day) but you got what you paid for for $30K. But back then, 300 HP was something, today every family sedan V6 has it and can be had for under $30K easy.
Before I bought my Mustang I was at a Subaru dealer trying to get a WRX, for a mid-level automatic they wouldn't go lower than $30.5K .

They definitely got expensive.

Supa LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Resell value on a subaru is extremely high tho. That's one solidity. I'm looking at them for a daily, and 2002 wrx cars with 150k miles are still going for $7-10k. Ridiculous.

Sponsored

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? I find that surprising. I always thought the Mustang's aftermarket was second to none.

-T
Yeah, same here. From top to bottom there is endless options with just about every part for a mustang.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Resell value on a subaru is extremely high tho. That's one solidity. I'm looking at them for a daily, and 2002 wrx cars with 150k miles are still going for $7-10k. Ridiculous.
And I don't understand that either, because reliability is usually the main component with resale value, and from my understanding, Subie's have never been known to be all that reliable.

Supa LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? I find that surprising. I always thought the Mustang's aftermarket was second to none.

-T
Oh the JDM market is massive for the wrx/sti. Like I said, it is basically the same motor since 2004. All of the parts and pieces are basically interchangeable. Hybrid builds with swapped heads etc. I would put the Mustang right up there close to it tho.
And I don't understand that either, because reliability is usually the main component with resale value, and from my understanding, Subie's have never been known to be all that reliable.
Lol yep. However, if taken care of properly and not constantly abused, they can go for a good while. I've come across many wrx with over 200k miles on stock motor and trans. How many times can you do that with a domestic? Tough to do. It's all relevant tho. If you maintain a vehicle the correct way, most of the time they last. Problem with the older wrx and sti is these younger kids get them and mod to the moon, put in the wrong or unpreferred oil etc then the engine says bye!

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Out of topic but the new Focus RS with the 36.5 g pricing is hard to beat. Can't wait to see the performance number for that car!

Back to our topic. GTPP will win in every category:headbang:
Sponsored