Boomba Racing Intake Manifold and Throttle Body Spacers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
There's science behind the spacers, if done right lol. If they can lengthen the intake runners, and have the flow wavelength essentially "convince" more air in, you can see some nice gains. The issue is if you tune the runners for the low end, you'll lose more top end than is being shown.

Spacers are essentially a cheap way to change your intake manifold. Look at the boss intake, or the cobra jet intake. Those are intakes tuned for high end power.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
How are people still dupped into buying these spacers? It's 2015 guys. Time to put down the "paper weights" and focus on parts that actually produce power.
They serve their purpose well actually. IF you were in a tq limited car and in a power to weight racing class, you could easily gain a lot of low end tq and lower your total hp for a better car (in that class).

End result, the ecoboost is an already torquey car down low, and this will make your top end feel like it falls flat on its face, but would be an excellent way to add direct port secondary fueling and/or meth injection without going to a custom manifold.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
If you buy a TB spacer please send me $100 I'll say a whimsical prayer and give your car a 20 hp increase I swear.

Here's a 4runner testing a Airaid TB spacer

BEFORE
Run 1: 140rwhp
Run 2: 142rwhp
Run 3: 139rwhp
Run 4: 139rwhp
Run 5: 143rwhp

AFTER
Run 1: 141rwhp
Run 2: 139rwhp
Run 3: 144rwhp
Run 4: 143rwhp
Run 5: 137rwhp

Here is a tundra tested if you read the article they saw maybe a 1hp difference

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/volant-throttle-body-spacer-review/

Here's a Charger it saw .1 tq and .2 hp

http://www.moparmax.com/tech/2014/ix_8-hamburger-1.html

SNAKE OIL

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
If you buy a TB spacer please send me $100 I'll say a whimsical prayer and give your car a 20 hp increase I swear.

BEFORE

AFTER

SNAKE OIL

You seem to only be concerned with PEAK power numbers. These spacers are not going to increase your PEAK numbers but rather increase curve area between a certain RPM like they have shown in the graphs above. So again if your only worried about peak numbers then you are correct in that there is no benifit to a spacer. But if you want to increase a certain part of the power band then these ARE useful.

The V6 might actually be able to benifit from a product like this.... As everyone knows our low end torque could use some help.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

BEFORE

AFTER

SNAKE OIL
Those are throttle body spacers. We're discussing intake manifold spacers. Throttle body spacers won't add too much, if any, power to a system that doesn't have a volume issue with the intake manifold. If a situation was to come where there wasn't enough volume in the intake manifold, a throttle body spacer will help. An intake manifold spacer WILL show some gains, not significant, but some. You lengthen the intake runners, you gain more torque down low but sacrifice high end flow.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Smdh

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
LOL okay. I'm all for learning, but if you're just gonna throw some random terrible articles (one used an excel graph for the dyno graph. Seriously?) and not try to explain your reasoning besides "SNAKE OIL!" I'm not going to listen. Plus, the main discussion is intake manifold spacers, NOT throttle body spacers.

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Those are throttle body spacers. We're discussing intake manifold spacers. Throttle body spacers won't add too much, if any, power to a system that doesn't have a volume issue with the intake manifold. If a situation was to come where there wasn't enough volume in the intake manifold, a throttle body spacer will help. An intake manifold spacer WILL show some gains, not significant, but some. You lengthen the intake runners, you gain more torque down low but sacrifice high end flow.
Not sure I agree with that.

Changing the intake runner length will change where the torque peaks, but it cannot dramatically change the value of the torque peak.

Furthermore, the change in length is very small. I've seen race manifolds with runners on the order of 4". Whereas, it seems most road cars have runner lengths on the order of 12". This results in harmonics in the range of every 2200 RPM (notice many N/A engines have torque peaks around 4400?). A spacer would at best change the harmonics a few hundred RPM.

The science simply doesn't back Boomba's claims.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
LOL okay. I'm all for learning, but if you're just gonna throw some random terrible articles (one used an excel graph for the dyno graph. Seriously?) and not try to explain your reasoning besides "SNAKE OIL!" I'm not going to listen. Plus, the main discussion is intake manifold spacers, NOT throttle body spacers.
I'm not gonna sit here and argue with someone over paper weights. Increased runner lengths. HA

You are entertaining.

I need to take this info to the best drag racers and call them all stupid for not using spacers.

While your at it hot shot how about you add an electric super charger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251846739721

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Not sure I agree with that.

Changing the intake runner length will change where the torque peaks, but it cannot dramatically change the value of the torque peak.

Furthermore, the change in length is very small. I've seen race manifolds with runners on the order of 4". Whereas, it seems most road cars have runner lengths on the order of 12". This results in harmonics in the range of every 2200 RPM (notice many N/A engines have torque peaks around 4400?). A spacer would at best change the harmonics a few hundred RPM.

The science simply doesn't back Boomba's claims.
True, but there's quite a few variables in an intake system. You also have the opening of the valves, which plays into this whole equation also.

I'm not saying these gains will be substantial, and it is true it is more of a "shift" of the power curve as you lose top end. Beyond the harmonics of the situation, you have the air flow characteristics (amplyfing turbulent flow for example) which can be changed with different runners which actually won't be a shifting, and would be a gain up to a point.

No, I don't think you can get that much power as boomba is saying. But, you can get something (5-10 ft-lbs).

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I'm not gonna sit here and argue with someone over paper weights. Increased runner lengths. HA

You are entertaining.

I need to take this info to the best drag racers and call them all stupid for not using spacers.

While your at it hot shot how about you add an electric super charger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251846739721
If you honestly don't think that drag racers change runner length then you're lost. This is a SPACER. It is a poor man's fix to lengthening your intake runners, which will only go so far. Of course drag racers won't do this, it won't affect them much at all, BUT if you're a dyno queen then it might help. Besides, serious drag racers will just have a new intake fabbed up for them and pay whatever.

Cute joke about an electric supercharger. Shame that it isn't actually a thing that Audi is doing. Centrifugal electric supercharger.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/27/audi-sq7-electric-turbo-report/

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
If you honestly don't think that drag racers change runner length then you're lost. This is a SPACER. It is a poor man's fix to lengthening your intake runners, which will only go so far. Of course drag racers won't do this, it won't affect them much at all, BUT if you're a dyno queen then it might help. Besides, serious drag racers will just have a new intake fabbed up for them and pay whatever.

Cute joke about an electric supercharger. Shame that it isn't actually a thing that Audi is doing. Centrifugal electric supercharger.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/27/audi-sq7-electric-turbo-report/
Shhhhh just shhhhh

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
We can always wait till bombs does an actual dyno. Can't sell a product with no proof that it works on our cars

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
We can always wait till bombs does an actual dyno. Can't sell a product with no proof that it works on our cars
The problem is that dynos can be manipulated. And the dynos posted so far lead me to conclude that Boomba is doing just that.

OP
OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boombaracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost TY 6MT w/ PP
The problem is that dynos can be manipulated. And the dynos posted so far lead me to conclude that Boomba is doing just that.
Manipulating our dynos? What would we have to gain in doing that? "False gains" are something we'd never risk just to sell some products. We pride ourselves on having top-notch products and standing behind everything we sell.

On both the Focus ST and Fiesta ST, the baseline pulls were done, the spacers were put on, and the resulting pulls were done. They were running the same tank of gas, with the same tunes, on the same dyno. There was no "manipulating".

Status
Not open for further replies.