Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Has it been confirmed that that next halo-stang won't be labeled a GT500? I mean I'd be perfectly fine with it being called a cobra
Me too,...........as long as it looks killer, has gobs of power/torque and is a great overall performer! :thumbsup: :D
Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
So will this next halo-Mustang be released during the unveiling of the S650?

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Has it been confirmed that that next halo-stang won't be labeled a GT500? I mean I'd be perfectly fine with it being called a cobra
Ford won't confirm anything.....at least not until they actually reveal the car.

However, there are some on this site.....and others from other sources....that have indicated it won't be called GT500. They haven't stated it won't be a Shelby....just not a GT500.

And some of those same people have indicated it will be on the S550 platform, most likely for the '19MY.

Of course, things can change, so all we can do is wait. Impatiently :frusty:

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
I have it from credible sources that it won't be a GT500.

Something is coming that will "raise the bar".

My guess, it's a guess, all along has been that the Cobra name comes back.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm just saying...
Ford is all hush hush nothing but chirping crickets. It's boring stuff man! while other American auto's are getting mid engines that can be purchased by non media geeks (most likely), 900hp street/drag cars...we sit here with nothing...unless your in fords right pocket. Maybe ford wants to get the GT350s issues fixed up before they decide to move on to another vehicle haha. Yeah, I guess you could say I'm jealous of the other auto makes...they spew info and it makes it exciting. I guess ford likes to bore people with ecoboost 4s and 6s and hybrid Mustang talk. Yay! So exciting!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I do wish Ford would be a little more up front about future product, but it seems its just not their style :(

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I have it from credible sources that it won't be a GT500.

Something is coming that will "raise the bar".

My guess, it's a guess, all along has been that the Cobra name comes back.

And there it is again :)

Yes, I've heard along the lines of "you won't care what it's called, you'll just WANT it"

Hopefully we'll start to see a camo'd prototype doing some Summer testing, perhaps at the 'Ring. That'll be the first clue something's coming. I'd like to say "definitely" coming......but then it's almost 6 months since we saw this....and so far, we've not seen it again :(

Reactions: HCT

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
And there it is again :)

Yes, I've heard along the lines of "you won't care what it's called, you'll just WANT it"

Hopefully we'll start to see a camo'd prototype doing some Summer testing, perhaps at the 'Ring. That'll be the first clue something's coming. I'd like to say "definitely" coming......but then it's almost 6 months since we saw this....and so far, we've not seen it again :(

that's probably the GT4 I realize they didn't need to road test though

Sponsored

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
I do wish Ford would be a little more up front about future product, but it seems its just not their style :(
Sorry but they would be stupid to do so.

It is called the Osborne Effect.

Nothing like killing current sales by talking about future items too early. Although the impact of the loose lips has been debated as to the death of Osborne computer...in the early 1980s there was the Osborne 1 (luggable computer but it could be hauled around as an all in one unit).

Well good ol' Robert Osborne talked about the next version before it was ready....sales of the Osborne 1 dried up as dealers/buyers waited for the next version. There was no next version...no money to put it into production when current sales died....

Slightly early release of info (such as the 2018 Mustang)can help steal media attention away from competitors, too early can kill you... a fine balancing act.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I do agree, but.......with a speciality model such as the next halo-Stang, some potential buyers may just go elsewhere for their next fix. Ford seem to be able to sell every GT350 they build, so I wouldn't expect a massive impact on GT350 sales if a replacement model was mooted, especially as it likely won't be a direct replacement (i.e. we're expecting the next halo-Stang to use a form of forced induction).

Of course, there will always be the Mustang die-hard fans who will never buy anything but a Mustang. I guess it's those guys (us, mainly!) that hunt for every last bit of info on whatever may be coming next.

For me, it's kind of fun putting the pieces of the puzzle together.......but it does get frustrating when there just aren't enough pieces to put in place.....at least not yet :D

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I do agree, but.......with a speciality model such as the next halo-Stang, some potential buyers may just go elsewhere for their next fix.

Let them.

If those particular people are so impatient that they need to buy the hottest thing right now then they can buy whatever and when the next best thing comes out they'll jump ship again. And again........and again.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
True, if they would name some of the other edition mustangs it may kill sales of the current. But, what about models like the mach1. Is it going to be better than the 350? I don't think so, why haven't we heard diddly squat about that. What about the 12 by 20? Is their R and D lagging so far behind that they an ounce 6 more in 2019/2020.
As a buyer, wouldn't you like to have time to purchase 1 car a year vs 4 or 6? IMO they put too much emphasis on a car they are going to sell to 750 people vs ones they could sell to 20,000 to 40,000 people. Shows where their interests lie I suppose.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Let them.

If those particular people are so impatient that they need to buy the hottest thing right now then they can buy whatever and when the next best thing comes out they'll jump ship again. And again........and again.
When range toppers come along it doesn't matter. Dodge is going after the drag crowd with the demon and there isn't a way in hell Ford is going to top them on it, no way. So those guys can rest assured that they will have the top HP/drag strip car on the US market. Now, if ford brought an AWD, they wouldn't need HP to beat it, at least stop lighting.
I'm not so easy to give into that one. I'll be at least waiting to hear what fords plans are, but as far as US models go, I'm leaning toward the ME Corvette next, and will again wait to see what it has in it for a power plant, and if it's even branded a Chevy.
Im sure things are coming, but seemed like there was a big gap in the reveal time line.
Sponsored