5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
First post here...owner of a 2014 SGM GT Track Pack w/Recaros's seriously considering a 2017 Lightning Blue GT. I'm really having a hard time with this...as you will see by the window stickers one is auto, one is manual with PP. Mine is a manual, and while I do enjoy that, the thoughts of having a paddle-shift auto intrigues me (especially since, from what I understand, a tune can significantly speed up the shifts).
I have attached the window stickers of both vehicles.
Both are LB...
First
Manual, PP, spoiler delete, 3.73 Torsen, 19" black wheels, cloth/6-way power
Sticker $36,190
Second
Auto, raised blade decklid spoiler, 3.55 limited slip, black accent package, 19" black wheels, painted black roof, cloth 6-way power
Sticker $36,300
There will be mods done regardless of which. I do like some spirited driving (round-a-bouts, etc). I've both auto and manual cars in my time...manual is fun, sucks in traffic...this auto has the potential for fun, awesome in traffic. Thanks for any and all input.
Sponsored

Attachments

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
You are correct, a tune gives a great improvement on the auto.

Pro's and con's for both. I've got an auto and still get a lot of enjoyment from banging through the gears with the paddles when I want to play :)

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
wait next year, the 10 speed will be great imo. you're gonna use x-plan/haggle right? I wouldnt pay more than $34K(before TTL) for that setup
The 10 speed shifts faster than a DCT, atleast when auto upshifting/downshifting.

I wouldnt pay $1K for the blacked out package unless you really like the wheels/no plan on changing them. Also, I think Koons in Virginia? has the best prices without even haggling. I see you're in FL so it should be what half a day of driving? Unless you can get a similar deal in florida

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Manual vs Auto

As we grow older the auto is more relaxing for crusing, but some guys just won't drive a pony car w/auto. I am enjoying my paddle shifting as it's a learning curve and I enjoy R&D with all things cars. I also prefer the 3.55:1 gear as it is better for a boosted car if you go that route in the future. Coyote Red has 3.55:1 and he scoots!
tn_DSCN1286.JPG

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
both have there positives but at the end of the day a manual is more engaging I had a 15 auto and now will be getting a manual the auto just got boring

Sponsored

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
both have there positives but at the end of the day a manual is more engaging I had a 15 auto and now will be getting a manual the auto just got boring
Adding boost might be cheaper than trading cars. I love my manual in my car. With headers, Corsa extreme, and gt350 manifold, it's a pure joy to shift at 7,800 rpm, it just keeps pulling. But, I am annoyed by the upshift rev match and how slow the rpms drop, even with a lund tune. It's way better tuned, driving it stock was not fun for me at all. I look over at my wife's auto and think how easy that thing would be boost, and not worry about half shafts, clutches, transmissions...

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I have a CS auto and am glad I got an auto. I did put the factory Brembo brakes on it , tires/wheels and different springs, and have no regrets. My Vette is a manual and I happy with it also, but as a daily driver, I would prefer an auto.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
As we grow older the auto is more relaxing for crusing, but some guys just won't drive a pony car w/auto. I am enjoying my paddle shifting as it's a learning curve and I enjoy R&D with all things cars. I also prefer the 3.55:1 gear as it is better for a boosted car if you go that route in the future. Coyote Red has 3.55:1 and he scoots!
Actually the 3.15 is better for a boosted car.

I agree I would do the auto 3.55 over an MT-82 any day of the week.

I'm excited to drive an 18+ with the new 10 speed auto.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
I say... Get the lightning blue one :-D

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Why are you getting rid of the 14? That would probably help answer which one to choose next. I traded my 13 for a 16 but I was upgrading from a six to a GT.

But if you have a manual now, I'd stick with that. To me auto just isn't as fun. There's always something exciting about rowing your own gears.

Sponsored

TCZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT Convertible
Just went from a 6 speed manual in my 911 to auto in the Mustang, The auto tranny is actually crisper than I thought it would be (not like the dual clutch auto in the wife's GTI) but in Sport mode it's quite a bit of fun. Nothing compares to manual in terms of connecting to the car, but daily driving a manual can become tiresome. Pros and cons....

*I recently did an exotic car driving experience (Lambo, Ferrari, GTR, and new Z06). All were dual clutch except the Vette (although the auto tranny in the Vette was also awesome). Going to the paddles is the way these days and at least we have that option with the auto in the Mustang.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Manual '16 PP here. I DD the car and I've found when I drive auto cars I'm almost falling asleep so it made the decision easy for me. My old car was a gen1 speed3 and that thing was so annoying to drive in traffic daily but this car is soo much easier to drive.

I haven't driven the auto mustang but I've driven paddle shifter cars before and IMO it just isn't as engaging or fun as rowing through gears like Shouldhavegotthegt said.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
$700.00 to paint a roof black, why not just buy a black car? I understand you don't have a choice though if it's a lot car. That useless option can buy you a tuner and more.

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Thank you all so much for your replies...kinda seems like it's split down the middle amongst all of you. I will try and drive both cars, unfortunately they are at dealers that are exactly opposite in distance from each other with me in the middle, lol. I'm going to try and see the black roof auto today...and ya, $700 to paint a roof...I'll tell the sales guy pound sand for that...I'll pay maybe half that or less for a painted roof, but no more than that!

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Only paddle shift car i tried was an 04(maybe) vette and i was not impressed at all...hopefully they've sped things up a bit lol. I could've taken a nap in between shifts.

I did drive a fun auto car once though, a 13 callaway SC vette. I wasn't in it long enough to see if i got bored with the tranny, but damn would it whine and put ya back in the seat
Sponsored