Sponsored

Mt82 trans fluid options?

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Hey gang. Getting ready to change trans fluid on my 2016 mt82.

What is everyone having best luck with? Royal purple keeps coming up but has anyone used motul? If so what weight is best and how many quarts do I need?

FYI my trans has been flawless. Feels great now but I'm at 32000 miles and want to change it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
BG synchro shift II is the popular item.

OP
OP
ArabianOak

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Awesome. Would you do a braided clutch line as well?

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange
BG Synchro has a great rep as of now! I still havent tried it yet. Supposed to make the trans run smoother compared to the piss thin factory fluid.

Sponsored

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Can confirm, BG Syncro Shift II is some top-notch stuff. Vastly improved shift quality. Optimum Performance also supports it really well by selling a full kit (fluid, pump, and tubes) along with very detailed instructions. Credit to [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] for quickly convincing me that this would be a good idea.

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange
Can confirm, BG Syncro Shift II is some top-notch stuff. Vastly improved shift quality. Optimum Performance also supports it really well by selling a full kit (fluid, pump, and tubes) along with very detailed instructions. Credit to [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] for quickly convincing me that this would be a good idea.

Did it also make your trans quieter? I thought I read somewhere that it made it quiet for someone?

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Did it also make your trans quieter? I thought I read somewhere that it made it quiet for someone?
Tough to say in my specific case. Given that I'm driving a Perf. Pack. car on Detroit roads, I deal with lots of other noises that I'm sure would otherwise mask transmission noise :thumbdown:

The biggest difference I found was in shift quality. Transitions from gear to gear feel significantly smoother and require less effort. Furthermore, whereas I used to frequently get 3rd and 5th gear lockouts when driving agressively, I now almost never get them.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
+1.

Anyone can comment on noisiness?

I do not mean clunkiness when you go through gears. I mean when you are already on a gear.

Mine does not have excessive noise, but noisier than prev. manuals I used to own.

P.S. Is it feasible to change the oil without a lift? I doubt it, but who knows.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
+1.

Anyone can comment on noisiness?

I do not mean clunkiness when you go through gears. I mean when you are already on a gear.

Mine does not have excessive noise, but noisier than prev. manuals I used to own.

P.S. Is it feasible to change the oil without a lift? I doubt it, but who knows.
Totally doable on jack stands.

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Totally doable on jack stands.
Just be sure to jack the car from the front or rear using a well-supported cross member when trying to put it up on 4 jack stands. Optimum's recommendations on this are included in their trans oil kit. Or if you have jacking rails, I presume you could just jack up one side, slide in two stands, then repeat on the other.

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
Just be sure to jack the car from the front or rear using a well-supported cross member when trying to put it up on 4 jack stands. Optimum's recommendations on this are included in their trans oil kit. Or if you have jacking rails, I presume you could just jack up one side, slide in two stands, then repeat on the other.
Jacking up one side then the other works great.
Sponsored