Sponsored

AMP ditributing

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
subd as well

Looks like some good stuff, curious why it isn't talked about more on here.

Rebuilding a manual trans is def in the realm of something a moderate wrencher can do in their own garage.

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Trans is back in with the "AMP Distribution" MT82 kit. Trans shifts really nice during initial street testing to get a few break-in miles. Will hit it hard at the track very soon.

IMG_2894.jpg

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
AMP update

Made 4 - 5 passes with the rebuilt AMP MT82 and it felt good and stayed together (consistent 10.4x - 10.5x). DA was over 2700 and I was shifting around 7500. More testing to come - with better air and 7800 - 8000 shifts I think 10.2x is easily doable.
IMG_2934.jpg

Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Rainmaker, did you do the gear install yourself?
If so, any specialty tools required?
Never taken apart a tranny before, but im not afraid to get my hands dirty

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Rainmaker, did you do the gear install yourself?
If so, any specialty tools required?
Never taken apart a tranny before, but im not afraid to get my hands dirty
I removed / installed the trans but I let a local Chicagoland trans shop that specializes in Tremecs, Powerglides, TH400s, and ring & pinion swaps handle the rebuild (this was there first MT82). I know the owner so I was able to see it all disassembled and how it goes back together (I should have taken pics). There is a 5 or 6 part vid on YouTube that shows how to rebuild it if you want to see what's involved. He did mention that you need a pretty robust press.

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
How much power ? Hp/Tq
I don't know - car is fully option'd PP car (non recaro) with 240lb driver, 3/4 tank of fuel for these passes, and rear seat delete as only weight reduction. Based on this and 2700 DA I'm guessing 740ish RWHP, but it's just a guess.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I don't know - car is fully option'd PP car (non recaro) with 240lb driver, 3/4 tank of fuel for these passes, and rear seat delete as only weight reduction. Based on this and 2700 DA I'm guessing 740ish RWHP, but it's just a guess.
Did the guys from Ampd say if that rebuilt mt82 would be as stout as a 60/60,i guess the best question is what sold you on going this route and feeling confident on the trans being reliable?Im running mid 10's and getting ready to put an rxt in,i want a strong clutch just tryin to decide on what route to go.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Did the guys from Ampd say if that rebuilt mt82 would be as stout as a 60/60,i guess the best question is what sold you on going this route and feeling confident on the trans being reliable?Im running mid 10's and getting ready to put an rxt in,i want a strong clutch just tryin to decide on what route to go.
Also interested in this. If we can beef up the stock MT82 and have a strong reliable transmission i'm fine with that.

5.O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It's not just the input shaft that is weak, all gears are weak too. the whole thing probably isn't that good.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
It's not just the input shaft that is weak, all gears are weak too. the whole thing probably isn't that good.
I understand that,thats why i was asking what was done to the trans.They sell stronger gears also,anything can made bullet proof,question is it going to to be cost effective to make the mt82 a strong trans compared to doing a swap.It gets expensive when u start buying harden gears.

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have MT82 + RXT + basically full weight car. I can only share my experience. My original stock MT82 lasted 1.5 yrs with hundreds of passes with RXT & DRs and then hundreds of passes with RXT & slicks & MGW until I blew up 2nd gear last summer. I honestly believe my stock MT82 would have lasted even longer but I think it probably incurred some damage with the repeated missed shifts and launches on DRs before I moved to the hoosier slicks + MGW + BMR engine mounts + Boomba trans mount. I bought the AMP stage II kit with upgraded 2nd gear, shift pads, etc. I also replaced 3rd gear with OEM because it looked suspect from the missed shifts with stock shifter. AMP claims their 2nd gear is made out of 8620 steel and its "much stronger."

Choice was easy for me, MT82 is lighter, I already have shifter, driveshaft, 3.31 rear gear, and if you use slicks + MGW shifter + good engine & trans mount I think it will take a beating and last a while. I'll run mine at the track almost every weekend so I'll let you know how long it lasts at 700+ RWHP. When my MT82 blows, I'll look to move to a TH400 and change DS and ring & pinion again at that time.

Another option is to wait for Calimer / G-force's 1,000HP gear set and roll with that. It doesn't make sense to me to change driveshaft, shifter, and ring and pinion again and end of with a slightly better manual trans IMHO
Sponsored