Sponsored

Question about navigation via cell phone

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
In the base model system is it possible to have the turn by turn directions come over the speakers while listening to the radio? The only way I could get it to work is by changing the source to "Media" which meant that I either had sit in silence or use Pandora, etc to hear music. The problem is that the signal where I was wasn't the best. So, running Pandora and Google Maps wasn't working great. I would have preferred to just keep the radio on.
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
correct, thats how i use my system daily. iphone 6 with waze and pandora running thru bluetooth during my commute.

OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Thanks, I was hoping that wasn't the case. But, I don't need to use navigation much. Although, I need to check out Waze. I see a lot of people mention that app.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
waze is amazing. it has saved me countless hours due to traffic rerouting

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Unless Waze down loads and stores map data on your phone I wouldn't rely on it if I was planning to go some where that may not have cell coverage. I learned the hard way in the mountains one time when my map just went grey.

FWIW, it takes about 2.5 Gigs of data to cover the US.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
i have not been anywhere lately that has no cell coverage. even upstate NY where there were dead spots in the early 2000s have coverage these days.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Get into the White Mountains in NH and there are lots of spots.

Just look at the coverage maps for the major carriers and there are huge gaps in areas where the population density is low.

If you never travel through an area with spotty coverage a cell phone app will get the job done. Just making folks realize that there is a potential down side to free cell phone apps.

Andella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2008 Buell 1125R
Waze may not be the best GPS option, but the fact that police locations are posted/reportable makes it invaluable.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
i think waze is amazing. traffic rerouting has saved me dozens of hours on the road since i started using it.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Waze is amazing. I prefer it over the built in Nav unfortunately theres no good spot to put the iphone (mines iphone 6) . I dont want to have a phone holder because it looks tacky so I'm going to use the Nav for now.

SSLByron

Media Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leftlanenews.com
First Name
Byron
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard GT PP
Sorry for the late bump; I just saw this.

Basically, you need an app that will let you change the text-to-speech engine's behavior so that it chooses the phone's built-in speakers instead of letting the Google Maps app decide for you.

I use an (Android) app called SoundAbout to change the speaker output behavior. It's free to try and $3.00 or something to activate the pro features after the trial (which you'll need). With SoundAbout, I can listen to music via my USB flash drive and have nav directions come directly from the phone all while having BT free for phone calls.

It'll let you customize behavior for other stuff too (media output, etc.).
Sponsored