Sponsored

Active Grill Shutter (AGS)

mtoo22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple GT
Tore mine out. Deleted them in ATR and haven't seen any difference at all.
Sponsored

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
Despite popular opinion, I'm attempting to fit AGS to a Uk Ecoboost. May need some wiring help from the forum, but will be sure to report any gain in mpg, though I doubt it will be noticeable!

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It won't throw a CEL, but it will store a code in the ECU.
If you check a car with a code reader and you removed your AGS, it will show the stored code U0284
No harm no foul.
If you live in a state that uses the OBD port to check for emissions compliance a stored trouble code even if it doesn't trip the light is grounds for failing the test.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
If you live in a state that uses the OBD port to check for emissions compliance a stored trouble code even if it doesn't trip the light is grounds for failing the test.
This is true only if the stored code is emissions related.

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
Guys I'm still after a favour from someone if anyone is feeling some Christmas goodwill :D

Can anyone please put a voltmeter on the connector that plugs to the AGS shutter motor, and tell me what voltages they see coming from the harness?

It's 4 pins should be quite simple, like:
1) 12V switched live (ie on with ignition, off otherwise)
2) signal, maybe 5V or 12V when shutters move
3) signal, maybe 5V or 12V when shutters move
4) 0V ground

Anyone? :thumbsup:

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
If you drive really fast, there may be a reason to keep it. If you track the car, I believe I have read that removing the AGS system can contribute to underhood turbulence, hood flutter, and remove front end downforce since all that air flowing in has to find somewhere to flow out (which will be under the car). Can anyone confirm or deny that?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
If you drive really fast, there may be a reason to keep it. If you track the car, I believe I have read that removing the AGS system can contribute to underhood turbulence, hood flutter, and remove front end downforce since all that air flowing in has to find somewhere to flow out (which will be under the car). Can anyone confirm or deny that?
While I can't confirm that, I think you're correct. I read that one of the purposes of the AGS was for better mileage at higher speeds. I have the 50 yr appearance package which comes without the AGS. I can tell you my stock flimsy aluminum hood used to shake around like mad. I also got worse MPG than many report and I'm typically going 80 on the Interstate. I also have the PP and the 3.55 gears account for some of that MPG loss.

So the loss of economy = loss of efficiency. That turbulence would certainly add drag not sure how much it reduces actual downforce though.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
I removed mine. They did not affect anything performance or economy wise. The car has been the exact same, so to me they really are useless.
That said, if you wish to keep them you would need to use a stock replacement intercooler like a cobb, or the map one. Ones like Full Race, Level's Performance (which is what I run) etc require you to remove the shutters.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I am keeping mine, I have had my car close to 140mph and believe they are making a difference, the car isn't the most aerodynamic thing in the world, everything helps imo.

TC :thumbsup:

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am keeping mine, I have had my car close to 140mph and believe they are making a difference, the car isn't the most aerodynamic thing in the world, everything helps imo.

TC :thumbsup:
If it helps every record holding s550 does not have the active shutters.

Sponsored

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
I don't think they'd help much on a 1/4 mile (at least not as much as a race size Intercooler), however my reason for installing them is more to do with doing a lot of motorway miles between 80-90mph. At this speed the aerodynamic drag associated with inducting that much air is considerable, and since fuel this side of the pond is roughly 4 times as much, it makes a difference. Kinda ironic that they left off the shutters for UK exports as our emission test cycle isn't as good, and Ford obviously couldn't be arsed to develop a specific control algorithm in the EU engine calibration!

All I'm asking is for someone stateside who has the shutters removed to chuck a voltmeter on the end of the harness pins and let us know which is which - I hoped someone kind with some time on their hands over Christmas might be able to help ;)

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
While I have a big FFTEC intercooler which is incompatible with the AGS, I think a perfect fit for most people would be a smaller, stock location MAP intercooler with the stock shutters still on the car. For the smaller intercoolers they can actually help channel air into it. All of the talk about pressure differential and air turbulence is true as well.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think they'd help much on a 1/4 mile (at least not as much as a race size Intercooler), however my reason for installing them is more to do with doing a lot of motorway miles between 80-90mph. At this speed the aerodynamic drag associated with inducting that much air is considerable, and since fuel this side of the pond is roughly 4 times as much, it makes a difference. Kinda ironic that they left off the shutters for UK exports as our emission test cycle isn't as good, and Ford obviously couldn't be arsed to develop a specific control algorithm in the EU engine calibration!

All I'm asking is for someone stateside who has the shutters removed to chuck a voltmeter on the end of the harness pins and let us know which is which - I hoped someone kind with some time on their hands over Christmas might be able to help ;)
Not sure about the aerodynamic drag. But I do know my gas mileage since removing the shutters is exactly the same as when I had them. Hopefully though somebody can answer your initial question.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Not sure about the aerodynamic drag. But I do know my gas mileage since removing the shutters is exactly the same as when I had them. Hopefully though somebody can answer your initial question.
all tunes (except possibly the Ford tune) disable the grill shutters (command them 100% open all the time.) As soon as you load the tune the shutters will stay open. The only way to really test this is to have a stock tune or have your tuner put the grill shutter table back to stock.

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Does anyone know if the Shutters are programmed to open when the intake system heats up? I would think it's programmed to open when the intercooler air gets hot.
Sponsored