Sponsored

All seasons or summer tires?

BoostedRubyRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red EB Premium
I switched out my factory 235/50/18 factory Eagles for the DWS tires in 275/35/19 and the car is like night and day to drive. I know a wider tire helps grip, but the feel of the DWS tires is much more confident even in heavy down pours. I am sure when the cold comes this winter they will be a perfect tire for the cold temps we get in Charlotte.
Sponsored

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't think you are giving up as much as some people think .

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/03/27/tire-review-continental-extremecontact-dws06/
This is a great read, but I was hoping for a direct comparison between these Ultra High Performance A/S and the current Pirelli Summer Only tires that come with the performance pack. While obviously the All Seasons will do great in the cold, how much difference is there in all of the other conditions? Specifically, the chart at the end of the write up and one with the current pirelli tires (or something comparable).

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
If you Google summer tire reviews you can get the Pirelli tires compared to the others and then base the DWS to them. Sort of convoluted but you will get the idea. Another thought is maybe Continental has a direct comparison between DW and DWS?

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you Google summer tire reviews you can get the Pirelli tires compared to the others and then base the DWS to them. Sort of convoluted but you will get the idea. Another thought is maybe Continental has a direct comparison between DW and DWS?
Good looks! I'll definitely do the continental comparison

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I got forced in to buying before I was ready and chose the Comp2 A/S, picked up a nail int he shoulder of my PZero last nite.

Sponsored

Thunderbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Are there any all season tires with grip comparable to a summer tire? I want to replace my AS Pirelli tires which aren't doing me any favors, but I don't want to have to buy 2 sets of tires for summer and winter. I live in the DC area so dealing with snow is reality.
Are you tracking the car? Autox? If so, get summer tires, and swap in the winter. For everyday driving, depending on how hard you drive, good all seasons may be fine.

I have done all seasons and summer tires, and for normal everyday driving the all seasons are a good compromise. You get better gas milage with all seasons, and they will last much longer vs summer tires.

Now, if you decide to swap tires (summer/winter), DC doesn't get that much snow... go with an all season for the winter. I live north of Chicago, and the Mustang handles the snow just fine with all seasons. Winter tires are great if it's snowing and wet every day, but if you get snow every few weeks and then it's cleared, you're just driving around on dry pavement on loud winter tires.

Colorado? Get winter tires. DC? All-Seasons.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I would recommend all seasons for spring, summer, fall and winter tires for the winter if you don't go summer/winter.

The big advantage a winter tire has over a summer or all season is the drastically improved traction on cold dry pavement, cold wet pavement and icy pavement. Improved snow traction is just a small part of what a winter tire does. In fact a high performance winter tire like a Blizzack gives up some snow performance to improve traction on cold dry/wet/icy pavement.

You can't believe how much better a winter tire works when the temps are at freezing or below compared to an all Season until you try them.
Sponsored