Sponsored

Burning smell coming from engine compartment

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
I drive a 2015 GT Premium with less than 30K miles on it. I just noticed this a few days ago. There is a burning smell coming from the engine compartment. Almost smells like burning rubber. At first, I thought it was coming from the front left wheel well/brakes, but now I'm thinking it is coming from the engine compartment. You notice it when the windows are down and you come to a stop light. All the gauges are fine and the engine temp gauge is in the normal range. No other indicators and the car's performance has not been impacted. Should I be concerned? Any ideas on what the issue is before I take it in to the dealer?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's possible that you might have a leaky valve cover gasket or the bolts are not torqued down properly causing engine oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold.

OP
OP
P2

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Possible I suppose, But I'm not seeing any smoke...

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Plastic bag caught on some part of the exhaust?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Possible I suppose, But I'm not seeing any smoke...
It's not smoking but could be just slight drip.
Wait till engine is cool and feel around the gasket with your finger see if it's wet.

Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Check around the battery if you havent already

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Mine was doing the same thing then started to smoke after a while. Look at the exhaust manifolds on either side of the engine, you should be able to see if something is dripping on one of them. Mine was a faulty PVC valve that was dripping oil at the back of the passenger side manifold and was a quick warranty fix.

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Mine ended up being a leaking front cover that had creeped around to the turbo side and started to stink. Crap would get stuck in the residue and burn off. Warranty fix.

Tron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT w/PP
Check the driverside valve cover bolts. Mine had a burning smell with no smoke. Valve cover was leaking, 6 bolts were literally loose. Tightened them, cleaned away oil, seems to be good now.

Louieg58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt performance package black
I am having the same issue. I don't notice the smell until I almost come to a stop and then it lasts for 10 seconds or so. I have noticed smoke coming from my front left wheel area when stopped too. I originally thought it was the hose that feeds the clutch from the brake reservoir as the hose was almost off the nipple and had some fluid when I moved it. I changed the hose to the steeda upgraded hose but am still having the smell/smoke issue from the front left of the car. I even took to the dealer and they told me it was the clutch feed line after I told them about it. I'm assuming the didn't look at the car much and just took my suggestion. I am starting to think it may be the valve cover. Any advise would be helpful.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am having the same issue. I don't notice the smell until I almost come to a stop and then it lasts for 10 seconds or so. I have noticed smoke coming from my front left wheel area when stopped too. I originally thought it was the hose that feeds the clutch from the brake reservoir as the hose was almost off the nipple and had some fluid when I moved it. I changed the hose to the steeda upgraded hose but am still having the smell/smoke issue from the front left of the car. I even took to the dealer and they told me it was the clutch feed line after I told them about it. I'm assuming the didn't look at the car much and just took my suggestion. I am starting to think it may be the valve cover. Any advise would be helpful.
I don't see how the clutch feed line can cause smoke because it's nowhere near the exhaust manifold.

OP
OP
P2

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine turned out to be the valve cover bolts (4 of them) had come loose. One was slightly leaking oil. They tightened them up and the problem went away.

Jukehz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kylescaptures.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Bumping a really old thread but my issue is very similar on my 2018. I only was able to get to like 5 or 6 of the 8-10 bolts on the driver side valve cover but I tightened them, not very loose. Still smelling it though. Hoping it's just some road debris or a bug on the header. Smells like plastic though.
Sponsored