Sponsored

Static hissing noise from the speakers

blkmgc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've got a weird problem where whenever the car has auxiliary power (whether or not the engine is running), I hear this high frequency static hissing noise from what seems to be the speakers. You can hear it in this video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alooyt20l9frnpp/IMG_1711.mov?dl=0

The sound is so distinct that even driving around with the windows down doesn't drown it out, I can still hear it and it's really annoying. This happens even if the volume is at 0.

I took it into the dealership today, even had a tech sit down with me and confirm that he heard the noise, but they ended up saying that everything was working as expected and that this is "normal electrical noise". Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't heard anything like this in any other car, but I have not sat in another S550 Mustang to be able to know for sure. My car is a 2017 GT350 with the Electronics package (Shaker 9 speaker audio) if that matters.
Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
I've got a weird problem where whenever the car has auxiliary power (whether or not the engine is running), I hear this high frequency static hissing noise from what seems to be the speakers. You can hear it in this video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alooyt20l9frnpp/IMG_1711.mov?dl=0

The sound is so distinct that even driving around with the windows down doesn't drown it out, I can still hear it and it's really annoying. This happens even if the volume is at 0.

I took it into the dealership today, even had a tech sit down with me and confirm that he heard the noise, but they ended up saying that everything was working as expected and that this is "normal electrical noise". Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't heard anything like this in any other car, but I have not sat in another S550 Mustang to be able to know for sure. My car is a 2017 GT350 with the Electronics package (Shaker 9 speaker audio) if that matters.
That is not normal

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
do you have aftermarket speakers or amp? when i put my aftermarket stuff i got some of this static crossover coming from the speakers. i never really found a cure for it i just turned the gain down on the amp until it wasnt really noticeable. if your stuff is factory then idk what to tell you. but my static im pretty sure is due to current crossover in the speaker wires.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Shit, I thought it was just me.

I never really noticed the hissing noise on the stock stereo, but now with all my gear installed I hear it when nothing is playing... even with the volume at zero.

Like kluke15, I just fiddled with the gain on my MS-8 and amps until it was not as obnoxious.

SubZombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 401A
The AC/Heating on the seats make a noise that sound just like that. It stays on after you cut the car off sometimes for a short bit. May not be it but I thought I had a similar thing back when I got my car and it was that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

blkmgc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This is happening with stock audio equipment. I also don't have heated/cooled seats, so it can't be that. I think I'll just take it to another dealer and see what they have to say. It doesn't seem like this is a normal thing amongst S550's.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The speakers do make a hiss when you get in the car as that's when the amp is powered. The audio noise you are hearing in the beginning seems like noise from the HID convertors. Similar to alternator noise. Maybe just a bad ground in the audio loop.

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have the same issue on my right speaker when the car is off but the infotainment display is on. If I turn off the display in settings, the sound stops. Turn it back on, I hear the faint hissing sound. Did you ever get this issue looked at?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Hate to ask this question but do you have heated/cooled seats? If so are they on all the time? Why do I ask? Because when I test drove my 17, I shut off the 9 speaker system and the AC to listen to the car as we were getting ready to test drive. There was this hissing noise that sounded exactly like white noise in the car. Sounded as if it was coming from the back. As the sales rep and I started isolating it, we realized that the source was actually from under the drivers side seat. The cooled seat option was on and air blows through making that noise that can also be heard with windows down. The heated seats also move air through the seats.

So this MAY be the source of your noise. When I turned the cooled seat function off poof! noise gone. So see if it may just be that. The sound plays tricks on you because it sounds like its coming from the rear speakers. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP

blkmgc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have the same issue on my right speaker when the car is off but the infotainment display is on. If I turn off the display in settings, the sound stops. Turn it back on, I hear the faint hissing sound. Did you ever get this issue looked at?
I had it looked at by 2 dealerships and they both concluded that it was normal for the car because their showroom models did it too. It's unbelievable that there's no fix for this.

Hate to ask this question but do you have heated/cooled seats? If so are they on all the time? Why do I ask? Because when I test drove my 14, I shut off the 9 speaker system and the AC to listen to the car as we were getting ready to test drive. There was this hissing noise that sounded exactly like white noise in the car. Sounded as if it was coming from the back. As the sales rep and I started isolating it, we realized that the source was actually from under the drivers side seat. The cooled seat option was on and air blows through making that noise that can also be heard with windows down. The heated seats also move air through the seats.

So this MAY be the source of your noise. When I turned the cooled seat function off poof! noise gone. So see if it may just be that. The sound plays tricks on you because it sounds like its coming from the rear speakers. Hope this helps.
I don't have heated/cooled seats, I have the manual Recaro's.

Sponsored

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hate to ask this question but do you have heated/cooled seats? If so are they on all the time? Why do I ask? Because when I test drove my 14, I shut off the 9 speaker system and the AC to listen to the car as we were getting ready to test drive. There was this hissing noise that sounded exactly like white noise in the car. Sounded as if it was coming from the back. As the sales rep and I started isolating it, we realized that the source was actually from under the drivers side seat. The cooled seat option was on and air blows through making that noise that can also be heard with windows down. The heated seats also move air through the seats.

My heat/cool seats are off and i still hear it faintly. I don't think that's the issue for me unfortunately.

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had it looked at by 2 dealerships and they both concluded that it was normal for the car because their showroom models did it too. It's unbelievable that there's no fix for this.

I don't have heated/cooled seats, I have the manual Recaro's.

interesting.. hmm i mean i can live with it but there has to be a wiring issue somewhere. I found this old thread on another forum and it seems that the Audio Control Module (ACM) might be the culprit if these other owners are having the same issue as us.

https://www.ecoboostmustang.org/for...ving-hissing-sizzle-noise-right-speakers.html

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
interesting.. hmm i mean i can live with it but there has to be a wiring issue somewhere. I found this old thread on another forum and it seems that the Audio Control Module (ACM) might be the culprit if these other owners are having the same issue as us.

https://www.ecoboostmustang.org/for...ving-hissing-sizzle-noise-right-speakers.html
I have the same static background hiss in my 2014 Fusion too. I have yet to see how bad it is in my new Mustang (taking delivery soon). I think Ford is using all the same ACM design across all their lines. With the volume at 0 or 1 you will hear this swirling hissing noise that is constantly changing and it's always there in the background at louder volumes as well. It sounds like radio frequency interference. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause but I'm interested in finding it and fixing it. The noise might be caused by any number of modules in the car or the noise could be generated buy the ACM itself which would be more difficult to fix. If listening to a USB or CD and you hit Pause, the noise is immediately quenched so we can rule out the audio amplifier stage.

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Bump. I am also having the same issue with my 18.. seems to be the ACM. I found the whine hiss is directly tied to the brightness of the Sync display. Wonder if the display back light uses PWM. I also found that the HID ballasts throw off enough noise to be noticeable. But the issue is primarily from the display brightness.

Drives me nuts. Haven't tried testing the ground on the ACM yet.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Bump. I am also having the same issue with my 18.. seems to be the ACM. I found the whine hiss is directly tied to the brightness of the Sync display. Wonder if the display back light uses PWM. I also found that the HID ballasts throw off enough noise to be noticeable. But the issue is primarily from the display brightness.

Drives me nuts. Haven't tried testing the ground on the ACM yet.
I've had my Mustang for a little over a month and the background hiss is not as objectionable as the noise in my Fusion. Interesting that you found a correlation with the screen brightness and HID's.
Sponsored