Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Yeah it would be a rough one. I'm torn because I'm about to drop $3000 on installing a Roush active exhaust on my current which is something that will most likely be a part of the same performance package on the new one. Do I invest that 3k into this one or count that 3k towards new one etc.

I'm also slightly worried about the 2020+ Mustangs losing 5.0 or going all hybrid :mad:
Its probably a wash once you consider your cost for parts, how much you value your time, and then how would you get the money back, removing them and reselling them and reinstalling old parts and storing the old parts in the mean time.

Thats a lot of labor hours, headache, wheeling and dealing etc. Room for error and mishaps, haggling, shipping, packaging etc.

A one year old depreciated 18' with your favorite options seems like the best bet.

I'm going through the same considerations.

Aftermarket modifications don't have the same luster they once had after you realize how valuable your time and money are.

The fact that many of these aftermarket parts are sub par replacements that Ford engineered quite well considering the price I would be paying for a replacment of lesser quality or at minimum lesser reliability and NVH.

After 15 years of doing the modification route I have learned to respect what works reliably and the NVH of OEM equipment!

Now an 18' with the Mag ride, active exhaust, 10 speed auto or manual I don't care... and a Roush blower would be perfect combo of reliable and fast if you could get one a year depreciated!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for corsa. I thought I wanted an active exhaust and now that I have a corsa catback I don't think about an active exhaust at all*. I wasn't impressed with the sound of the dual mode on the 18 from any clips out there so far.

*that said cold start is a bit obnoxious but I start it with the garage door shut on early mornings or late nights.
If you're tuned you can fix that cold start. I'm glad I did. Completely agree that the dual mode as presented doesn't seem to be in the same league for sound as our catbacks.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
If you're tuned you can fix that cold start. I'm glad I did. Completely agree that the dual mode as presented doesn't seem to be in the same league for sound as our catbacks.
Agreed, hopefully an x-pipe to replace the resonator would be all that it takes to wake it up a bit!

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Honestly, no one in their right mind would take the depreciation hit on their 2015-17 to get an 18. I'm sorry, it's just not going to be that radical of a change to justify losing $10k+.
Yeah it is a lot of $$$ especially after any mods as well.

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
It is always tough to justify jumping into a mid cycle refresh after a few years of ownership on a particular model. I was unable to justify the jump to an M2 after owning a m235i, just not enough separation to justify for me. Had BMW gone with a detuned m3/m4 engine would have made it much more interesting.

IMO the justification to jump into a 2018 stang from a 2015 will be the performance numbers. A similar 2010 - 2011 performance jump would be a hell yeah it will be worth it. The laundry list of enhancements on the 2018 is a pretty significant mid cycle refresh list, the front end debate will be over a few months after it is launched, just like how it played out when the 2016's were first introduced.

I was all set on a 2018 but got distracted with a c43c and am now waiting on the redesign for 2021

Sponsored

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
I think for the most part I agree with everyone’s sentiment. It’s dumb purely from a financial standpoint and would really need to be a passion or looked at through an expendable “entertainment” income. I wonder if I can convince the wife I’ll cancel all my subscription services and not go out to eat as much in substitute for signing another 5 year loan ;)

One thing I’ll be really interested to see is the performance. I’m already a lil butt hurt about losing out on 7500rpm and active quad exhaust from factory. If the bullet rumors and gt500 rumors amount to anything, I know I’ll be jumping ship for the new one.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I'm keeping my 2015 V6, but will most likely add another Mustang in 2021-22 or perhaps wait til a 60th anniversary Edition. If the 2019 Mach 1 drawing I saw were real, well then I might trade the 2015 for that one lol.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
The 2018 doesn't really do it for me looks wise, and magride is the only thing I wish I had, but I'm happy with my suspension as it sits. I don't have any complaints with my current car and it makes me smile still every time I get out of it. What WOULD make me trade is if they release a 50th boss, be it a 429 (fords new 7L) or 302. I've always wanted a school bus yellow boss 302, and if one came out in 19/20 then I'd be more than happy to make the jump. If not, then I'll probably hang on to this car for a while.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I think for the most part I agree with everyone’s sentiment. It’s dumb purely from a financial standpoint and would really need to be a passion or looked at through an expendable “entertainment” income. I wonder if I can convince the wife I’ll cancel all my subscription services and not go out to eat as much in substitute for signing another 5 year loan ;)

One thing I’ll be really interested to see is the performance. I’m already a lil butt hurt about losing out on 7500rpm and active quad exhaust from factory. If the bullet rumors and gt500 rumors amount to anything, I know I’ll be jumping ship for the new one.
Buy a gt350 intake/tune combo and an oil pump gear and be done with it. 8000 RPM shifts with more power than a MY18. Don't worry about any warranty issues, as the money you will save by not going to a MY18 could purchase an entirely new drive train.

As for exhausts....rarely is anyone ever happy with their OEM setups. The camaro guys are trying to find ways to quiet the NPP rattle. They are also trying to find ways to upgrade the sound on their active exhausts.

I've said it before, the Corsa Sport is what should have been OEM on the S550. The sound is absolutely perfect for the coyote. I've yet to hear any clips from the MY18 active exhaust that comes close to sounding as good as the Corsa.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
2020+ isn't losing the V8. It's as American as apple pie.
Tell that the F150 Raptor fans :shrug:

On topic, I don't think the jump to the 2018 will be worth it if you invested in mods for your pre-fl. 7th Gen already starts 2020, so I would wait for that if they keep the V8

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

On topic, I don't think the jump to the 2018 will be worth it if you invested in mods for your pre-fl. 7th Gen already starts 2020, so I would wait for that if they keep the V8
They will keep the V8 in the Mustang for the same reason it's staying in the F-150: they will lose a lot of sales without it, and the customer base demands it despite a higher performing option in the 3.5L EB hybrid.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
There is not enough change for me to consider going from a 16 to an 18. With just an intake and tune I am easily making more than what the power bump will see on the 18. Cosmetically, there is nothing I want that the 2018 has enough to buy one. Interior after seeing non marketing pictures, it really doesn't look any different than the current model other than the digital speedo option. I will consider next gen.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

The Raptor doesn't have the history/legacy that the mustang does. People buy a mustang for it's V8 period. Ford knows that the mustang would lose massive sales without a V8 in the lineup.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
The Raptor doesn't have the history/legacy that the mustang does. People buy a mustang for it's V8 period. Ford knows that the mustang would lose massive sales without a V8 in the lineup.
Next someone will mention the Ford GT but the legacy behind that was winning races, not the engine. I will agree with you that the Mustang is iconic because of the V8 RWD platform and it will be suicide for Ford to remove that from the lineup. We aren't at the place or time were we don't want big V8's. In maybe another 10-20 years, sure. Hybrids still isn't really an adapted technology but more in a beta-testing phase still.
Sponsored