LoveMyWheels

LoveMyWheels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base, Automatic Transmision
Picking up a 2016 GT auto tomorrow - has 3.55 gears. Will do exhaust first. Am torn between 3 catbacks, all in different price ranges: MBRP Street, Borla S-Type, Corsa Street. Looked at videos and reviews over and over but can't make up my mind. Want a good muscle car sound but without drone if possible. Not too obnoxious but also not too close to stock.

MBRP Street: best bang for your buck, lower sound due to true h-pipe, (drone with automatic?)
Borla S-Type: good quality, "exotic" sound, no drone
Corsa Street: excellent quality, mild when cruising (to close to stock?), loud under WOT

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
I have a 2015 GT with automatic and would like to caution you about the effects of the shift pattern of the automatic in daily driving. The automatic resorts back to low RPMs in the range of 1250 - 1500 RPM frequently. It is important to find an exhaust that has no drone in that area. I made my own experiences, which are documented in this thread
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79313

The fix for the drone I experienced was the AWE Touring catback. I included a link to a youtube video, where I document that there is no drone.

Don't be mislead by "Touring" in the name. Once you are over 1700 RPM any acceleration results in a volume increase to what I would call "Sport" category. The sound character is beautiful in my opinion, but you need to be in the mood for the noise. Under 1700 RPM the volume is above stock volume and contains a nice depth tone. You loose some of the incredible refinement that Ford engineers designed into the stock exhaust, but now you (and others) are pleasantly reminded of the powerful V8 under the hood.

If I would start all over again, I would probably take the AWE Touring axlebacks rather than the catback, hoping that the stock resonator keeps the volume increase under acceleration a little down.

LoveMyWheels

LoveMyWheels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base, Automatic Transmision
I picked up at used GT a few days ago and it has an exhaust installed from previous owner. I'm not sure what type of exhaust it is, I can not see any markings. I think it might be a resonator delete with x pipe and some type of axel back, but it could just be a catback. The car has some pretty bad drone at 1500rpm. Other than the drone it is very loud and sounds pretty good imo.
I would like to know what other options are you guys running for exhaust that have no drone? I might even go back to stock mufflers if I can find a set just because the drone is getting pretty annoying already.
See my previous post in this thread regarding a fix for a drone around 1500 RPM. The AWE Touring catback is not cheap, but is of excellent quality. Unfortunately you don't seem to have the stock resonator anymore, otherwise I would recommend the axleback version to keep cost down.

16gtpp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Have not heard the Borla in person but I have had the MBRP street for 8k miles and recently switched the Corsa Sport CB. Night and day difference for me, perfect tone throughout the rev range, completely controllable by throttle input, works great with headers, ZERO drone. Absolutely love it. MBRP street sounded pretty good for the money but I do see many other MBRP street owners upgrading down the road to Corsa and similar. I'd recommend just get the right one from the start, there is a reason everyone on the forums is in love with their Corsa.

Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I have a 2015 GT with automatic and would like to caution you about the effects of the shift pattern of the automatic in daily driving. The automatic resorts back to low RPMs in the range of 1250 - 1500 RPM frequently. It is important to find an exhaust that has no drone in that area. I made my own experiences, which are documented in this thread
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79313

The fix for the drone I experienced was the AWE Touring catback. I included a link to a youtube video, where I document that there is no drone.

Don't be mislead by "Touring" in the name. Once you are over 1700 RPM any acceleration results in a volume increase to what I would call "Sport" category. The sound character is beautiful in my opinion, but you need to be in the mood for the noise. Under 1700 RPM the volume is above stock volume and contains a nice depth tone. You loose some of the incredible refinement that Ford engineers designed into the stock exhaust, but now you (and others) are pleasantly reminded of the powerful V8 under the hood.

If I would start all over again, I would probably take the AWE Touring axlebacks rather than the catback, hoping that the stock resonator keeps the volume increase under acceleration a little down.
Thank you for your input, Volker! Watched your videos and the AWE does sound good. What gears do you have? I have 3.55s in my automatic. Really torn between AWE and Corsa Sport. H-pipe vs X-pipe, dunno what to do :headbonk:

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Ordered the Corsa Sport Catback with black tips through hypermotive.com. Thanks to Jason and Trey for the fair price & and delivery by Friday! Can't wait to hear what they sound like.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered the Corsa Sport Catback with black tips through hypermotive.com. Thanks to Jason and Trey for the fair price & and delivery by Friday! Can't wait to hear what they sound like.
You'll love it!
Sponsored