Sponsored

Ran over a jug of oil?

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm a bit confused as to why there is what I'm sure is motor oil sprayed all inside the wheel well on the passenger front of my car, and along the passenger side under the car. I'm seriously considering the fact I may have somehow run over a quart of used oil or something?

I ask this question because I'm hoping you guys can chime in and let me know if there are ANY oil leak paths (oil cooler, etc) within the passenger wheel well area? I don't see any dripping, the oilpan and anywhere on the engine and transmission I can see look clean. It's just sprayed all along the passenger underside of my car. Who knows, maybe there was a jug of oil on the ground, incredibly odd.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Have you checked your oil level?
Oil's still on the full line. Based on how much splatter I see under the car I'd figure it would have dropped. I ran it for a few minutes idling (and drove it today) and don't see any drips. I don't think there's anything behind the passenger wheel well that oil would leak from. Just the washer bottle reservoir behind there I believe, no external oil lines that I know if.

I'm trying to not be concerned (worst case scenario, I go to the dealer, but I hate taking my car to the dealer because it's a pain). It's just an odd situation, what are the chances I run over oil, enough that it covers the entire wheel well and halfway down the underside of the car. I almost never hit anything, in fact I miss many more potholes than most lol.

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I had an oil leak on my driverside valve cover gasket, but the oil that leaked off burned up because the leak was right above the exhaust header

Sponsored

Mvalenti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Competition Orange
maybe you hit a politician, they are aweful slippery..

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Check brake calipers

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored
OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Filter or lines at the oil cooler...though with how much you say exists, I'd think oil level would be low(er).
All boots (suspension and tie rods) are clean.

Oil filter/cooler, isn't that on the driver's side? I haven't done the oil changes myself yet haha.

The only way I could see the amount of oil on the passenger side is if it somehow dripped onto the splash shield and over to the passenger side, not down the drain pan or anything. It looks like at least a 1/4 quart. I'd think the dipstick would only have about a 1 quart tolerance between full on the dipstick and the fill line? With an 8 quart fill, I don't think they'd want you running more than 1qt low...so a 1/4 quart would show on the dipstick?

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Oil filter/cooler, isn't that on the driver's side? I haven't done the oil changes myself yet haha.

The only way I could see the amount of oil on the passenger side is if it somehow dripped onto the splash shield and over to the passenger side, not down the drain pan or anything. It looks like at least a 1/4 quart. I'd think the dipstick would only have about a 1 quart tolerance between full on the dipstick and the fill line? With an 8 quart fill, I don't think they'd want you running more than 1qt low...so a 1/4 quart would show on the dipstick?
Yes. All of this is on the driver's side. Only thing I could think of on passenger side would be valve cover or front cover or AC compressor. Apologies for the confusion.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Oil Filter Location

The oil filter and lines are on the driver side, my bad!

Last edited:

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X