Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

OxWhiteEB

GR8_WHT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Ecoboost
I am think I am another victim lol. I thought it was only me but after digging enough in this forum it leads me to this thread, thank GOD. I only remember the issue happening right after a shop installed a water methanol kit in my car, well that was about when the weather here in Seattle went from 50ish to 70ish. Made an appointment at the dealer where i bought my car tomorrow and will let you guys know. The car is making this weird wind noise behind the passenger dashboard and if the A/C is shut off, it goes away.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Good news on my side, we found the A/C leak.
On my second checkup after the refill we spotted small air-bubbles in one of the valves in the front left of the engine bay.
The leak is so tiny that it could take another year or so before the A/C would be empty again, but it's there so it will be replaced.
The part is in back-order, so it might take a while.
2015-ford-mustang-23l-ecoboost-turbocharged.jpg

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I'm now scheduled to take my 2016 EcoBoost back to the shop for its third evaporator in less than two years. The first evaporator went out in August of last year when I had about 6,000 miles on the odometer and had the car 10 months at that point.

Now I'm at 9,100 miles and 10 months from the second evaporator, my AC is out again. I asked the dealership if they are going to put the same faulty part in or if I will be able to get one that lasts longer than 10 months (I was polite about it, but direct), and they said to cover it under warranty they have to replace the part with the same part number, but that if it is a known issue, the part may have been updated.

I love this car but I'm unhappy to soon be on my third evaporator in 9100 miles for a garage (and well maintained) car. I live in central Texas, so not having AC is less than optimal. I've never owned a Ford before because (ironically) I felt they had poor build quality. The S550 was so beautiful I took a risk. Other than the AC, it's been great.
But this is frustrating, especially when my wife's 5 year old Elantra is still purring along after 50,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance (oil changes and new tires).

I realize the Mustang isn't an Elantra, but I still expect a car with less than 10,000 miles on it to be fairly healthy overall.

The real question is what do I do when the car is outside the warranty and I have to pay out of pocket every summer to get a new evaporator?

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I'm now scheduled to take my 2016 EcoBoost back to the shop for its third evaporator in less than two years. The first evaporator went out in August of last year when I had about 6,000 miles on the odometer and had the car 10 months at that point.

Now I'm at 9,100 miles and 10 months from the second evaporator, my AC is out again. I asked the dealership if they are going to put the same faulty part in or if I will be able to get one that lasts longer than 10 months (I was polite about it, but direct), and they said to cover it under warranty they have to replace the part with the same part number, but that if it is a known issue, the part may have been updated.

I love this car but I'm unhappy to soon be on my third evaporator in 9100 miles for a garage (and well maintained) car. I live in central Texas, so not having AC is less than optimal. I've never owned a Ford before because (ironically) I felt they had poor build quality. The S550 was so beautiful I took a risk. Other than the AC, it's been great.
But this is frustrating, especially when my wife's 5 year old Elantra is still purring along after 50,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance (oil changes and new tires).

I realize the Mustang isn't an Elantra, but I still expect a car with less than 10,000 miles on it to be fairly healthy overall.

The real question is what do I do when the car is outside the warranty and I have to pay out of pocket every summer to get a new evaporator?
as soon as I hit my bumper to bumper period, I'm trading this thing in. I was making fun of my coworker when he got an S4. I was saying how his car would be on a lift most of its time. He has 20k miles on it and it just goes in for oil... This was and will be my first and last American car.

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP

This sucks. It's my understanding the part has been updated. But, if I were you, I would start looking at the lemon laws.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
This sucks. It's my understanding the part has been updated. But, if I were you, I would start looking at the lemon laws.
The worst part is I've waited my entire adult life to finally be able to afford the sporty car I wanted. And this is it. I LOVE it. It is a blast to drive, it's one of the best looking production cars ever (to me, and I didn't care for really any previous Mustang), and I had planned on keeping it forever.

Now I may trade it in once the AC is fixed to maximize its value when getting another toaster on wheels. :tsk: I'm hoping the third condenser is the charm.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

Sounds like they put the old part number back in with the first fix, and that's probably why it failed again. There IS a new part number, so make sure you verify that they use the new part number this time around. Don't let the dealer use an old part number evaporator laying around in their parts department.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
My solution is to get rid of the car and start leasing, now that I'm able to stay below 12k a year since my commute is much closer. I'm just hoping for good scat pack charger deals when my warranty runs out

Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
as soon as I hit my bumper to bumper period, I'm trading this thing in. I was making fun of my coworker when he got an S4. I was saying how his car would be on a lift most of its time. He has 20k miles on it and it just goes in for oil... This was and will be my first and last American car.
i was thinking the same, but when i bought the car i bought the extended warranty, its not gonna cover the motor or trans since im modded, but at least the ac will be fixed till 2022!

i cant complain, car has had zero issues since i owned it, and i can enjoy driving it unlike my wrx which was a ticking time bomb..

OxWhiteEB

GR8_WHT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Ecoboost
My car is recharged and the A/C should be working properly now. The service guy said he put dye on the system so that they would know where the leak, if there is any, comes from next time the A/C is blowing hot air again.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So my car went into the dealer monday. They found a bad blend door valve. But didn't fix my issue. So they ordered a Evaporator core and i will bring the car back when they get the part in. They said probably after the holiday. Which i am fine with. Hopefully this will fix everything

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I dropped off my car for the second time in 10 months to replace the evaporator. I talked to the service rep and explained that I knew there was a corrected part for 2017 and that I did not want the 2016 part, since that part and the replacement part both failed in less than 5,000 miles each.

She said she'd talk to the shop foreman and see what they could do. She came back about 10 minutes later and said the foreman said the part has been redesigned and that early 2017 Mustangs had the same issue as the 15s and 16s, but that the new part should work.

She also said the old parts get purged from Ford's stock and that the part they would be using for my car was the new part.

We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe this will be the long term solution. I've had good experiences with this dealership and when they did the AC last summer everything was put together well and they didn't even damage my windshield tint, no squeaks, etc. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

If I have problems after this one I'm going to start escalating the issue through the channels until I am satisfied with the outcome.

Mark52479

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT
For you guys that had the repair done, any problems with buttons, or touch screen or anything like that after the install?

I had mine replaced today. It only took them one day to finish the install. The service rep said come in the morning to pick it up but now since they did it so fast I am concerned.
Sponsored