Sponsored

SNAP or CLICK heard toward front of car when moderately accelerating

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
My car will emit a single, fairly loud SNAP when upshifted to 2nd or 3rd gear when driving normally, under moderate load. It is completely dependent on applying engine torque. I cannot tell exactly where it's coming from, except it is from underneath, and it isn't from the rear axle. Somewhere in the front half of the car.

It seems like it could be related to the engine/trans torquing in the mounts. One thought was that it was an exhaust piece or some other part, that gets shifted and pops under these conditions when the drivetrain torques to the side. Been happening for a while, doesn't seem to get any worse yet.

Anybody experience something like this?
Sponsored

Ap8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
I hear it to. It more like 3-5 clicks. I have no idea. Some say it cause AC is on but it will does it when it's not

OP
OP
Lo Pony

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I hear it to. It more like 3-5 clicks. I have no idea. Some say it cause AC is on but it will does it when it's not
Manual transmission? 2-3 shift at low speed? I can hear it with the windows open.

Definitely not A/C. I rarely run mine anyway.

Ap8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Nope auto. It pisses me off lol

post8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Mine does it too, found the problem yet?

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Sort of happy others have this, I literally have no idea.

Are all of you aftermarket exhaust?

zillah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Premium PP
I am having it too. I thought it had something to do with the plastic expanding during the heat. Although I find it to be random, not when I shift.

Ironman550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 2.3T Lightning Blue
Sounds like the same thing I'm hearing. Seems random...3-4 clicks under moderate acceleration (doesn't seem to correspond to any particular gear, but always only under acceleration). Sometimes, alarmingly, there seems like a little "lag" when it happens. I can be doing 30 or 70, doesn't seem to matter.

Been to the dealer twice about it. Last time I took the service manager for a ride and he heard it quite clearly (sitting in the passenger seat he thought it sounded like it was in the transmission). From the driver's seat it sounds like it's coming from the rear (whatever). They had the car for 3 days and couldn't find anything wrong diagnostically.

Maddening.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is it a click or more like a "clunk", for anyone who has previously experienced a bad axle CV joint (like that type of rotational sound)?

Did any of you try retorquing the rear axle retaining nuts?

Ironman550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 2.3T Lightning Blue
Nothing like a CV or rotational sound and not nearly that consistent. Just a couple "ticks" when coming up to speed. Dealer service gets another crack at it Monday. They've indicated that Ford's engineers will now be brought in.

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I had mentioned this on the FB group, but mine literally happens exactly @ 2,250 RPM. Without fail, accelerating or letting the revs drop slowly to 2,250. I floated the idea of the computer triggering something mechanical, if it happens at that exact RPM every single time.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Went to the dealership, wasn't happening all morning so I couldn't replicate it. Does seem to only happen when it's hot, similar to my bbq tick.

Anyone get this checked out?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I'm about to go to the dealer and this is one of the issues I'm bringing up. I have this exact problem. It's embarrassing to hear this clicking bounce off other cars and curbs. In the other thread about this issue, one guy said that the dealer ran all sorts of tests. Oil analysys, leakdown, etc.. I guess they chucked it up to valve deflection and said it's normal. I don't want my 14k mile car to sound like a 200k mile civic with a bad spark plug.

Just dropped it off. The tech clearly heard it while I was in neutral and revving it. They're gonna check it out alongside the other problems I mentioned.

Last edited:

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Sort of sounds like a heat shield rattle or something exhaust related, if that's the case I'm sure they'll blame an aftermarket exhaust. Going to throw her up and trying sourcing a rattle there.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The dealer called me. They said they can't reproduce it. I'm gonna have to go down there and help them. The guy who took the car in heard it when I first got there, so I'm not sue wtf is going on.
Sponsored