Sponsored

Plan on modding your S550? Get informed

imjuslazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Gti
That's why I drive over an hour to my dealership when I haveone 5 minutes away....mod friendly, so I don't have to worry about the hassle of warranty claims, helps that most of the techs own mustangs....some modded more than mine lol

Which dealership? We should have a list of mod friendly hassle free dealerships sticky.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
Which dealership? We should have a list of kid friendly hassle free dealerships sticky.
One I mentioned above, Gary Smith Ford. ANY dealership can be mod friendly if you don't hassle them and get to know the service desk guys, and play nice. They will Give you less hassle on what they cover and don't. Still though, don't expect a new engine when you take it in with detonation, with a blower on top puttin out 18lbs of boost, but it will help avoid all the above

imjuslazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Gti
One I mentioned above, Gary Smith Ford. ANY dealership can be mod friendly if you don't hassle them and get to know the service desk guys, and play nice. They will Give you less hassle on what they cover and don't. Still though, don't expect a new engine when you take it in with detonation, with a blower on top puttin out 18lbs of boost, but it will help avoid all the above

Well being nice and genuine goes a long way in general in trying to get something lol

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
Here's Fords procedure for Warranties for aftermarket parts if anyone is wondering:

Look at where it says hardware modifications found that explain failure...if no......repair under warranty

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Look at where it says hardware modifications found that explain failure...if no......repair under warranty
Yeah, but "Mods found that explain failure" is extraordinarily subjective.

"I know that the tie rod snapped in half while you were driving down the highway... but I see you have an aftermarket spoiler. That created additional downforce on the rear end and lift on the front end, taking weight off the front tires which caused the tie rod to snap. It's not covered under warranty because your hardware modification explains the failure."

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah, but "Mods found that explain failure" is extraordinarily subjective.

"I know that the tie rod snapped in half while you were driving down the highway... but I see you have an aftermarket spoiler. That created additional downforce on the rear end and lift on the front end, taking weight off the front tires which caused the tie rod to snap. It's not covered under warranty because your hardware modification explains the failure."
Again, it has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, re read above, if service techs deny service, you take it to service manager, then dealership leadership, then to ford regional tech. They have a dedicated hotline for warranty claim disputes. When the regional tech comes down an hears "sir the tie rods snapped due to the unbelievable downforce produced by this spoiler!" From the service tech then proceed to laugh in his face then SMASH the dealership for denying service. And ford PAYS the dealership for warranty work. So it benefits the dealership to do the work, highly doubt everyone at ford is "out to get" people who mod/race their cars, THEY PUT A FACTORY INSTALLED LINE LOCK ON THE CAR FOR PETES SAKE! :frusty:

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
So basically what I initially said? They are only covered if installed by your dealer...
The wording of your post (quoted below) made it sound as though it would be some rare or unusual scenario in which a dealer would install it and cover any resulting repairs. It's an official warranty from FRPP that supplements the factory warranty. It's not like someone would have to 'get lucky' to find a dealer that would install and warranty it. If the part is installed by an authorized dealer, repairs are covered, period.

Originally Posted by Darrinm03
Also, those that thinking a ford racing procal is covered under you new car warranty, you're wrong. No FRPP parts are covered under a new car warranty, unless your deal installs it for you and declares that they will cover it under the warranty, but good luck finding a dealer like that that's not a specialty dealer

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I hope everyone can separate the dealership from Ford Motor Company. Dealers get paid by Ford Motor Company for warranty work performed, and thus have an incentive to do the work. But, if the dealership can't convince Ford that a failure is truly warrantable, then they won't get paid. Consequently, the dealership will ask for you to pay for the repairs if you want them done.

Don't like the answer that a dealership gives you concerning warranty coverage? Go to another dealership. Some are afraid of being stiffed by Ford and are gun shy. No worries, just move on to another dealership to see if they're more confident in getting Ford to reimburse them for repairs.

There is a long standing joke at the dealership I work for that my Mustangs do NOT have any warranty coverage due to my mods & racing. However, that is just a joke and my Mustangs have been repaired under warranty easily as none of my mods have ever caused a failure with covered parts. Our service department knows that I am very willing to pay out of pocket for any failures that are the result of my mods or use/abuse of the car at the racetrack.

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
I hope everyone can separate the dealership from Ford Motor Company. Dealers get paid by Ford Motor Company for warranty work performed, and thus have an incentive to do the work. But, if the dealership can't convince Ford that a failure is truly warrantable, then they won't get paid. Consequently, the dealership will ask for you to pay for the repairs if you want them done.

Don't like the answer that a dealership gives you concerning warranty coverage? Go to another dealership. Some are afraid of being stiffed by Ford and are gun shy. No worries, just move on to another dealership to see if they're more confident in getting Ford to reimburse them for repairs.

There is a long standing joke at the dealership I work for that my Mustangs do NOT have any warranty coverage due to my mods & racing. However, that is just a joke and my Mustangs have been repaired under warranty easily as none of my mods have ever caused a failure with covered parts. Our service department knows that I am very willing to pay out of pocket for any failures that are the result of my mods or use/abuse of the car at the racetrack.
Thank you, this further validates my statement made below.

Remember, dealerships buy vehicles from ford, ford hires people to work on THEIR cars, the techs get paid by ford for warranty work, not by the dealerships. If you get denied a warranty claim, the dealership HAS to explain their case to Ford as to why they are denying coverage. Ford can send their own regional tech that does not work for the dealership to investigate the claim. Remember dealerships and Ford, are NOT one in he same, hence the same guys name on numerous dealerships. For example, out here it's Gary Smith Ford, and theres a Gary Smith Honda....hope this helps clear that up

We can what if this to death, but facts are stated in the original post, point is, this was made to lay to rest "if i tune my car Ford will cancel my warranty", and the "what mods can I do that will not void my warranty" misconception. Not everyone on this board has modded a car, much less a mustang or even know about past issues, such as the early 2011 coyotes popping piston #8 due to aftermarket tunes. So many in fact, American Muscle had to basically come out and say "our tunes are safe to run in your stangs, so safe in fact, we will even warranty your damage if your cylinder pops while running our tune", AM rep that's on this site will confirm this. People were out a brand new car because ford denied all thier warranty claims. Everyone here can speculate how things will go in court against a huge corporation like Ford, but until you DO go through with something like that you truly don't know how it will go. Matter of fact, most warranty disputes are settled WAY before court. The whole point of the Act is to give people like you and me a fighting chance if we get unjustly denied warranty service, whether that be settled before it gets to the courts, or in the courts. If it were so easy for ford to smash us in court, then we wouldn't have the lawsuits that Toyota went through or the one that GM is going through. It's an extreme comparison maybe, but it's regular people like you and me saying something is wrong with the cars and a major corporation trying to say no and downplay it, but the ordinary people did/are winning them

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
It seems like this Act pops up every now and then on the forums especially when a new model Stang comes out.

This act does try to give us rights but, in the end if you mod your car and something fails and the dealer and Ford both say they are not covering it, you can quote this Act over and over and hand them copies. If they say they are not fixing the car then, they are not fixing the car.

And while Im sure it happens, for the most part I have never heard of Ford being unreasonable in this. Ex. I have never heard of someone putting on bigger rims and blowing and engine and having Ford say the rims caused it.

I have modded 2 Mustangs now pretty well. I will say what I always do. When you mod your car there is a chance of failure. And there is a chance that Ford will not warranty your car. If you cannot afford financially or mentally this happening dont mod your car. Dont hold onto this Act as some magic thing that will have Ford or the dealer cowering and caving in to your demands. THis act does give us owners some legal recourse, but it is not magic.

Sponsored

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
So most of these acts/examples deal with US. Does anyone know what the situation is here in Canada?

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Here's Fords procedure for Warranties for aftermarket parts if anyone is wondering:

Although interesting, that part of the flow chart does not say "Any Hardware Mods Found", the hardware mods have to be directly tied to the failure, not just a suspicion or escape rout.

It's not likely that a bolt on after market exhaust will be the cause of your warranty being voided or a CAI or anything that is not a radical change..

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
To clear the P1000 code, follow the first link:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

"1. Install scan tool. Turn key on with the engine off. Cycle key off, then on. Select appropriate Vehicle & Engine qualifier. Clear all DTC's/ Perform a PCM Reset."

Where do we get the scan tool from? Does the X4 tuner have a clear all DTC code or PCM reset feature?

Here's some more info on the P1000 code:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p1000
http://engine-codes.com/p1000_ford.html
http://www.dtcsearch.com/P1000/Ford/
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/dtc_powertrain_2.html

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
warranty

Thanks great info! I had no clue . What part of the warranty would be void if I installed the competition series catback muffler system?