Sponsored

Plan on modding your S550? Get informed

Casey

Threads
Reaction score
Sorry but that just wouldn't fly. That would only be the case if Ford could prove there wasn't a faulty part already and the customer persisted that it should be covered under warranty. IE they tore it down, and found no faulty parts. Not every part in an engine winds up being built to withstand even OEM specs. Yes it is designed that way, but quality control can only do so much. The manufacturers responsibility under this law is to find out what failed and how before denying any warranty claims. It hurts them none to do this, because if the customer is found to be at fault, they have to pay for the tear down costs anyway. Conjecture isn't proof, there is no way to prove every piece and part in the car was actually built to OEM spec without taking a look at the failed component. Ford wouldn't have a defense unless they tore down the component. I don't know how some Ford Dealers get away without providing solid proof. It makes no sense to me. Ive seen crazy instances where the dealer "engineer" issues a blanket statement of some kind and voids the warranty. Absolutely ridiculous.

Anyhow, I wouldn't suggest going this route unless the mods you have done are simple bolt ons and a safe tune from either FRPP or a reputable company. Especially if you go boost, save yourself the time, money and frustration and deal with the repairs yourself, as you are most likely at fault.

Oh yea and make sure you get yourself a reputable dealer that you trust and talk with them before you do any mods.
Prove to whom? I mean say you go into the dealer for warranty work and they flat out refuse to do the work. What are you going to do then? Plead? No. You'd have to get a lawyer and take it to court which could become costly quick. When a major corporation tells you to get lost what are you going to do?

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Also, those that thinking a ford racing procal is covered under you new car warranty, you're wrong. No FRPP parts are covered under a new car warranty, unless your deal installs it for you and declares that they will cover it under the warranty, but good luck finding a dealer like that that's not a specialty dealer
From Ford Racing:

Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship when installed on a late model Ford vehicle by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., or mountune LLC.

The Performance Packs and Components Limited Warranty begins upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing and remains in effect for the balance of 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Installation of these select Ford Racing and mountune LLC warranted performance packs and components by an authorized dealer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by Ford Racing Performance Parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Ford Racing and mountune LLC performance parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Racing and mountune performance parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly, Ford Racing and mountune performance parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Racing or mountune performance pack or component, the period and coverage of this Ford Racing Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Sorry but that just wouldn't fly. That would only be the case if Ford could prove there wasn't a faulty part already and the customer persisted that it should be covered under warranty. IE they tore it down, and found no faulty parts. Not every part in an engine winds up being built to withstand even OEM specs. Yes it is designed that way, but quality control can only do so much. The manufacturers responsibility under this law is to find out what failed and how before denying any warranty claims.
Let's just play out how this would go.

You: "XYZ stopped working."
Dealer: "You have a modified ABC and that's why XYZ isn't working, so it's not covered under warranty. Repair will be $2,000."
You: "ABC doesn't have anything to do with XYZ, there's no way ABC could have caused the XYZ failure."
Dealer: "We disagree. We think your modified ABC caused the XYZ problem. It's not covered under your warranty. The repair will be $2,000."
You: "I'll take you guys to court over this!"
Dealer: "Fine, do that."

You to a lawyer: "I needed to get my XYZ fixed, but the dealer refused warranty coverage because my ABC was modified. But ABC has nothing to do with XYZ; there's no way that could have caused the problem. By law, the dealer has to fix my XYZ."
Lawyer: "You're completely right. You have an ironclad case; you'll absolutely defeat them in court and they'll have to fix your XYZ under warranty. It'll just cost you $5,000 in legal fees, but you'll win and they'll have to cover the XYZ repair."

Which is why the whole concept of "the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the damage" is just pointless.

Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Let's just play out how this would go.

You: "XYZ stopped working."
Dealer: "You have a modified ABC and that's why XYZ isn't working, so it's not covered under warranty. Repair will be $2,000."
You: "ABC doesn't have anything to do with XYZ, there's no way ABC could have caused the XYZ failure."
Dealer: "We disagree. We think your modified ABC caused the XYZ problem. It's not covered under your warranty. The repair will be $2,000."
You: "I'll take you guys to court over this!"
Dealer: "Fine, do that."

You to a lawyer: "I needed to get my XYZ fixed, but the dealer refused warranty coverage because my ABC was modified. But ABC has nothing to do with XYZ; there's no way that could have caused the problem. By law, the dealer has to fix my XYZ."
Lawyer: "You're completely right. You have an ironclad case; you'll absolutely defeat them in court and they'll have to fix your XYZ under warranty. It'll just cost you $5,000 in legal fees, but you'll win and they'll have to cover the XYZ repair."

Which is why the whole concept of "the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the damage" is just pointless.

^^^This is exactly my point. Its the dealerships discretion right up until the courtroom. The law protects the consumer but a dealer can make it so difficult that it isnt worth fighting. If it does hit the courtroom you are facing an uphill battle trying to fight the manufacturers experts.

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
From Ford Racing:

Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship when installed on a late model Ford vehicle by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., or mountune LLC.

The Performance Packs and Components Limited Warranty begins upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing and remains in effect for the balance of 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Installation of these select Ford Racing and mountune LLC warranted performance packs and components by an authorized dealer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by Ford Racing Performance Parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Ford Racing and mountune LLC performance parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Racing and mountune performance parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly, Ford Racing and mountune performance parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Racing or mountune performance pack or component, the period and coverage of this Ford Racing Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.
So basically what I initially said? They are only covered if installed by your dealer...

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
Given that we are a Mustang Performance Shop in NJ we get a lot of questions regarding warranty policies and what will void a warranty.

I tell customers straight out that certain performance parts can void their factory and or after-market warranty. If something on your car fails and it is due to an after-market part (even if you think it's not) there is no one at fault but yourself. Once you make the choice to modify your vehicle you assume full responsibility of any adverse effect.

This is just the nature of Hot Rodding and it has always been this way.

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
f possible, attempt to independently verify the accuracy of the claims made by the dealership. The manufacturer of the aftermarket part may be helpful to you in providing a technical assessment of the problem. If there is a reasonable possibility that the aftermarket product caused the problem, it may be best to try to reach a compromise. If, however, it is clear that the aftermarket product is unrelated to the problem, you should attempt to gather as much information as possible to support your claim. Useful evidence might include photos, copies of relevant service information, records of prior repairs performed under warranty, or the objective written opinion of a qualified third party (with relevant experience, accreditation, etc.).
If discussions with the service manager do not bring about a resolution, speak with the owner of the dealership. Many problems can be resolved at this level. If there is a known pattern failure which matches your problem, be sure to bring this to the dealer's attention. The dealer is able to obtain reimbursement from the vehicle manufacturer under such circumstances. If there is no pattern failure, but other evidence that exists contradicts the dealers conclusion, be sure the dealer is made aware of it. Also explain that you are aware of your rights under EPA's emissions warranty and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Again, if there is a reasonable possibility that either the aftermarket product or its installation could be the cause of the problem, your best bet is to suggest a compromise with the dealer. In many cases, presenting an objective technical assessment and a basic understanding of the law will do the trick. However, if you believe that you are entitled to warranty service, but the dealer disagrees, you can take other steps to seek a resolution to the dispute.

If a dealership denies warranty coverage, they should be willing to do so in writing. Have the dealer describe the failure which is causing your problem AND how the dealer believes the aftermarket product installed is responsible for the problem. Keep an accurate log of all contacts and correspondence in addressing the warranty denial...

THIS is purpose of the law when it was enacted. Not to tell you what is and isn't allowed under warranty...but to give the consumer and easy way to dispute warranty denials. Remember, dealerships buy vehicles from ford, ford hires people to work on THEIR cars, the techs get paid by ford for warranty work, not by the dealerships. If you get denied a warranty claim, the dealership HAS to explain their case to Ford as to why they are denying coverage. Ford can send their own regional tech that does not work for the dealership to investigate the claim. Remember dealerships and Ford, are NOT one in he same, hence the same guys name on numerous dealerships. For example, out here it's Gary Smith Ford, and theres a Gary Smith Honda....hope this helps clear that up

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
Given that we are a Mustang Performance Shop in NJ we get a lot of questions regarding warranty policies and what will void a warranty.

I tell customers straight out that certain performance parts can void their factory and or after-market warranty. If something on your car fails and it is due to an after-market part (even if you think it's not) there is no one at fault but yourself. Once you make the choice to modify your vehicle you assume full responsibility of any adverse effect.

This is just the nature of Hot Rodding and it has always been this way.
Thank you for this, whole point of my original post was to explain the myths of warranty claims and that if you have lowering springs on your car, Ford CANNOT cancel your whole new car warranty, they CAN however tell you they won't fix your blown struts since the change in spring rate is the culprit, but still, won't cancel your entire warranty, you can still bring it in a week later and have warranty work done if your window motor goes out though

Sponsored

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
Thank you for this, whole point of my original post was to explain the myths of warranty claims and that if you have lowering springs on your car, Ford CANNOT cancel your whole new car warranty, they CAN however tell you they won't fix your blown struts since the change in spring rate is the culprit, but still, won't cancel your entire warranty, you can still bring it in a week later and have warranty work done if your window motor goes out though
Very true. My supercharger on my 2012 GT did not cause my hood to corrode and paint to flake off so they repainted it under warranty ;)

But...if I knowingly turn up the power to an unsafe level and blow the motor...:thumbdown:

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
Very true. My supercharger on my 2012 GT did not cause my hood to corrode and paint to flake off so they repainted it under warranty ;)

But...if I knowingly turn up the power to an unsafe level and blow the motor...:thumbdown:
Can I borrow you SC for my GT/CS to see if my paint flakes off??!!:gossip::headbang:

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I always planned on having any mods done (if any) at the dealer with ford racing parts. It's the safe bet.

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
I always planned on having any mods done (if any) at the dealer with ford racing parts. It's the safe bet.
This brings up a good point. If you constantly bring your car to your dealer for scheduled maintenance and build a good standing relationship with them they more more likely than not going to help you out if a problem arises.

OP
OP

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
This brings up a good point. If you constantly bring your car to your dealer for scheduled maintenance and build a good standing relationship with them they more more likely than not going to help you out if a problem arises.
That's why I drive over an hour to my dealership when I haveone 5 minutes away....mod friendly, so I don't have to worry about the hassle of warranty claims, helps that most of the techs own mustangs....some modded more than mine lol
Sponsored