Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Great posts!

Now about that 2018 Mustang.. how much power will it make?

I think that the down sides of DI mean that if there isn't a significant bump in power I would stay away from any vehicle with DI. At least until the automakers come up with a better solution for maintenance and longevity.
You should check out a Skyactiv engine with Mazda. Probably one of the best when it comes to DI since it uses a Miller cycle to burn the carbon off. I just bought a 2017 Mazda 6 not long ago.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Negative, the only way the mustang sells substantially higher volume is if they change it to a 4 door, make it a 5 seater and increase the interior volume.
IOW, much like what Ford did already with the Thunderbird just about 60 years ago.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There's no down-side I'm aware of.

No additional maintenance, no longevity issues. I'd buy a DI 2018 GT with no concerns.
PFI + DI should get rid of any of the usual concerns one would have for DI.
Time will tell. The BRZ/FRS/86 has this combination and reports are that the issue of carbon build up on intake valves isn't completely solved. Not yet, anyway.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Time will tell. The BRZ/FRS/86 has this combination and reports are that the issue of carbon build up on intake valves isn't completely solved. Not yet, anyway.

Norm
It's entirely dependent on how the systems are calibrated/where PFI is utilized.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's entirely dependent on how the systems are calibrated/where PFI is utilized.
Which begs the question of which direction any calibrations of interest here might take if the same calibration doesn't turn out to be optimal for everything. Mpg on the EPA cycle, emissions (possible credits?), or maintenance down the road, for starters.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Which begs the question of which direction any calibrations of interest here might take if the same calibration doesn't turn out to be optimal for everything. Mpg on the EPA cycle, emissions (possible credits?), or maintenance down the road, for starters.

Norm
The information I have from those who are close to it say that, in general, PFI is used as primary at idle and at WOT, with DI or a mix of DI and PFI in all the part throttle states.

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Any time anything opinionated happens on m6g (unfortunately:frusty:)
giphy.gif

Quick! Everyone escape while there's still time!
It's like a sent my daughter off the college and she comes back a stripping meth dealer with a shaved head and satanic tattoos all over her. haha

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
One year's model car with identical mechanical engineering specs to the predeceasing years model could have different issues with carbon build up. According to some experts (link), it has a lot to do with fuel quality, and the calibration used. If the fuel/air is running too rich and not getting burned off completely in the cylinders it will of course build up. This sounds more like a tune/timing issue than a catch can/di issue. Catch cans in my mind were always band aids. You could be doing serious damage to the engine and cat with or without them.

The Ford Ecoboost is their "baby", so when they see blown engines come in under warranty, Ford now always requests parts and data to be mailed to Michigan for engineering review so they can protect their "baby". It has more to do with the longevity of the Ecoboost brand and program more than screwing you over for tuning your car.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Even more support in the argument that the ecoboost engine is taking over ALL Ford models. 75% of new F150 truck sales are now ecoboost motors or the NA v6. More horsepower, more torque, better fuel efficiency. Win win win. That high output ecoboost v6 motor is no joke. 450 hp, 510 torque.

No reason to have the v8 in the F-150 now. They will slowly start to phase it out. Mustang might be next.
Screenshot_20170628-114053.jpg

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Even more support in the argument that the ecoboost engine is taking over ALL Ford models. 75% of new F150 truck sales are now ecoboost motors or the NA v6. More horsepower, more torque, better fuel efficiency. Win win win. That high output ecoboost v6 motor is no joke. 450 hp, 510 torque.

No reason to have the v8 in the F-150 now. They will slowly start to phase it out. Mustang might be next.
With that stock output I wouldn't mind it being in the 2018 GT

Reactions: Ebm

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yes down with the V8! Get it out of the Stang!!!!

Don't worry EBM maybe the dream for the hateful EB community will come true one day.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That high output ecoboost V6 motor is no joke. 450 hp, 510 torque.
That's amazing. I'd buy that all day long. And it would be easy to increase the power on it too.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm