Sponsored

Engine noise, like a salsa shaker

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Once my GT PP engine has warmed up and the idle has reduced to normal a noise starts to come from the motor that sounds like someone shaking a salsa shaker, or like a can of dry beans.

It's a whirring shuuuuka shuuuka type noise. It is rhythmic and very consistent. The frequency is maybe 1 or 2 times per second.

If I slightly press the gas pedal, it goes away. Any RPM over idle, it is gone (or at least masked?). Driving down the road it is not there.

It's super audible when I am in line at a drive thru, being close to a wall on the driver side.

Any ideas? I searched the forum for engine sounds but no one is describing the noise the same way.

The sound bothers me a little bit, but my bigger concern is that it might be suggesting a more serious flaw somewhere on my motor that might roar its ugly head down the road and cause more serious damage.

I'm going in for warranty work this weekend and will ask about it, but was just hoping to hear if anyone else here has heard the same shaking noise.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Is it like a scraping sound or like two pieces of paper being rubbed together? If so, the general consensus is something with the cats. It's not abnormal.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely it is the driver's side exhaust joint, immediately after the cat. It's a known area that leaks, so it may make the sound you are describing. Ford had a TSB for this problem but it was on early production models. Mention it to your dealer and have them check it, up on a lift.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Create a video and post it up!

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Once my GT PP engine has warmed up and the idle has reduced to normal a noise starts to come from the motor that sounds like someone shaking a salsa shaker, or like a can of dry beans.

It's a whirring shuuuuka shuuuka type noise. It is rhythmic and very consistent. The frequency is maybe 1 or 2 times per second.

If I slightly press the gas pedal, it goes away. Any RPM over idle, it is gone (or at least masked?). Driving down the road it is not there.

It's super audible when I am in line at a drive thru, being close to a wall on the driver side.

Any ideas? I searched the forum for engine sounds but no one is describing the noise the same way.

The sound bothers me a little bit, but my bigger concern is that it might be suggesting a more serious flaw somewhere on my motor that might roar its ugly head down the road and cause more serious damage.

I'm going in for warranty work this weekend and will ask about it, but was just hoping to hear if anyone else here has heard the same shaking noise.
Mine will make this same sound, but only after it has reached full operating temp before driving off.
It's the only time I ever hear it, after driving it I won't hear it at all. It sounds a little wierd but hasn't cause any issues that I'm aware of.
Please report back on what the service dept says......

Sponsored

raulvqz95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raul
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT LE
Question:

Did anyone found a solution to this sound?

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
PCV valve on passenger side of the engine? I know that's whats responsible for what I call my "buzzing" sound from the engine bay.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I have the same noise and it drives me nuts. Every time I get next to a wall I can hear it over the exhaust and everything else.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
If it is on manual cars its normal per Ford.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
PCV valve on passenger side of the engine? I know that's whats responsible for what I call my "buzzing" sound from the engine bay.
I have the same problem but goes away and its on the passenger side. Is this a known TSB as well?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have this problem. More like a scraping, scratching sound. Comes on just when cars warms up settled down to about 600 rpm. Goes away with light throttle or a drive. Sounds like absolute shit.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I have this problem. More like a scraping, scratching sound. Comes on just when cars warms up settled down to about 600 rpm. Goes away with light throttle or a drive. Sounds like absolute shit.
I got really worried because I started hearing it right with I brought the car home for the first time and it sounded like something was about to fail, but no problems yet that I can tell.
Sponsored