Sponsored

Highest mileage Mustang GTs with boost?

Did you changed the OPG when you boosted your stang?

• Yes i did change them.

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • No i did not change them.

Votes: 21 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
What miles are on your boosted stangs?

And please vote how many of you guys changed the opg.

Thanks.
Sponsored

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
10,000 on Whipple stage II. No opg change.

OP
OP
jrsimon27

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
10,000 on Whipple stage II. No opg change.

Thanks its funny cause here in the forums everyone changes them and i called whipple and called ford performance and both said that it is not necessary.

Sp33dyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 competition orange
Have 27k miles on my car NA. About to be putting a whipple on with TSS OPG and crank gear. Will be interesting as miles gets higher how everything holds

Sponsored

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Boosted at 18K, and upgraded the OPG and CG. 19K on the odometer, and after hitting the limiter hard twice during tune pulls, glad I upgraded

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
Thanks its funny cause here in the forums everyone changes them and i called whipple and called ford performance and both said that it is not necessary.
I have stock OPGs on mine. The only times they really ever fail is if you raise the redline. Stock redline and under 800hp... I'd say you have a better chance of the windshield popping out of the car unexpectedly than blowing an OPG. The problem is that a very literal handful of people broke their OPG (usually through some sort of misuse) and posted it on the internet. Then, bad news catches fire.

bew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT PP
34k on car, 20k of that with a P-1SC-1 + stock OPGs.

I've got about 500 miles on my newly installed MMR OPGs + CGs + Romac damper. I figured why not? Few hundred bucks and my own time for a whole lot of added confidence as I rev passed 7k.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
33k on the motor, 2k of which with the Procharger P1SC fitted.

Boundary OPG, TSS Sprocket.

Sponsored

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Currently at 11k miles on odometer with about 5k miles on the Whipple, I was also told I didn't need OPG and TG but decided to swap them out anyway. The potential risk and associated cost to repair the damage if either OPG/TG busted was not worth it and I did not want that concern hanging over me whenever I did a WOT high RPM pull.

Aside from that, the setup has been rock solid and I could not be happier. The only issue I had was an annoying belt chirp, and Whipple took care of that thanks to their excellent customer support! :headbang:

Farrdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO/PP
Whipple'd at 10k and now at 40k. Stock OPG. At this point, if they go we want to put a short block in anyway. We are going to push until something breaks.

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
I've always been amused at how many people swap OPGs that aren't needed but in turn, run a boosted car on stock half shafts.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
I've always been amused at how many people swap OPGs that aren't needed but in turn, run a boosted car on stock half shafts.
A tow is a lot cheaper than a new shortblock

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
A tow is a lot cheaper than a new shortblock
True, but if you pop a half shaft at 65mph on the street, the medical bills aren't cheap either. If you lose a half shaft under load at high speed, there's a very high chance that you're going to lose control.

It's one thing to build for engine safety, but so many people neglect the the rest of the car. I'm not calling out anyone in particular, but it is something I see every single day. Built motor, does nothing to the transmission, flywheel, driveshaft, or rear end.

We had a local Go Fast! style event about this time last year at a local municipal airport. A modified S197 (red, built out to Roush Stage 3 specs) lost a half shaft at 130mph. Destroyed the car. He was running a 650-700hp build with stock GT running gear. The passenger side half shaft slipped and he got loose, went off the runway to the right and ploughed into soft ground. Broke the sub frame and all the body panels forward of the cabin were sheared off. I'm not sure what his actual damages were to the Nth degree but his car was totaled.

So yes, I agree that system per system, the engine is more expensive than the rear end. But you can usually walk away from an engine that loses oil pressure. You're lucky if you survive a high speed rear end failure in a street car.
Sponsored