Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The 5.2 FPC is gone for 19. You won't see it, they almost dropped it for 18 and probably would have if they weren't behind the curve for the GT500. A CPC version will be the answer, something that can be boosted. The only thing I take from that interview is that a V6 could be the next high HP motor for the mustang. In that case, no more new mustangs for me, unless it's a 750+ hp drag strip monster or a 650 hp 3300 lb track beast, which I'm sure won't happen, not in the s550 anyway. Boosted 5.2 cpc is the short term response for the hellcat and zl1. S650 is the next promising platform and it needs to be aluminum or shrunk considerably.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yeah well good luck because what you see is what you get. The voodoo is not going to get any enhancements.
The SOB barely holds together as it is, it's tapped out. Sure you can squeeze 40hp out of it, but it needs 140!

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
The 5.2 FPC is gone for 19. You won't see it, they almost dropped it for 18 and probably would have if they weren't behind the curve for the GT500. A CPC version will be the answer, something that can be boosted. The only thing I take from that interview is that a V6 could be the next high HP motor for the mustang. In that case, no more new mustangs for me, unless it's a 750+ hp drag strip monster or a 650 hp 3300 lb track beast, which I'm sure won't happen, not in the s550 anyway. Boosted 5.2 cpc is the short term response for the hellcat and zl1. S650 is the next promising platform and it needs to be aluminum or shrunk considerably.
I'd love to have a ecoboost V6 halo mustang. Why not? More tq, less weight. People like you amuse me with your old fashion thinking. Kinda reminds me of the old big block guys saying they would never buy a muscle car with a small block!!! Where are they now?
Or the truck guys saying they won't buy a truck with a V6. Where are they now? Driving ecoboosted F150's
I have a FX2 5.0 F150 and a Sport 2.7 ecoboost F150. The 2.7 kills the 5.0 in all categories except maybe towing. But that 2.7 still pulls my 20' trailer and Shelby.
If ford builds a 550-600+ ecoboost V6 Shelby with a weight of 3200-3400 look out!

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
The SOB barely holds together as it is, it's tapped out. Sure you can squeeze 40hp out of it, but it needs 140!
I'm not sure how you're judging the SOB as to barely holding together. Out of 8000 plus engines, how many let go? Maybe a handful? Look how many 5.0, 2.3, GM LS LT4 etc let go. With just a tune and headers I picked up over 80 hp.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm not sure how you're judging the SOB as to barely holding together. Out of 8000 plus engines, how many let go? Maybe a handful? Look how many 5.0, 2.3, GM LS LT4 etc let go. With just a tune and headers I picked up over 80 hp.
Do you honestly think ford will add over 40 hp to the FPC? I'd be willing to bet they won't. We're always willing to add more HP than a Mfgr. Is a 570HP FPC going to do it against the zl1? Nope. Needs more...perhaps that and a DCT but that ain't happening this Gen either.
I said I'd take a v6 eb in this heavy gen but before I bought one it would need to be 750+ hp and that ain't happening. Or a 650 hp at 3300 lbs and that ain't happening. So...no v6 for me. Now for the s650. 650 and 3300 is doable if they shrink the car and use aluminum. No matter how you look at it what this column states will not beat a zl1. It needs to be a boosted engine that Ford introduces. A NA won't do it, not with that weight. A v6 could but it's gotta pump out 650+

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
You think the voodoo FPC 5.2 is going to get a power increase?
Did you read what Raj said in his interview?

EDIT: In case you didn't, here you go.

“I’m sure somebody could find a way to fit a twin-turbo into a Mustang, but we’re pretty happy with the 5.2 V-8 we’ve got in the 350 now,” Nair said. “It’s quite an engine.” He disputed the idea that the engine has reached its horsepower limit and cannot compete with the Camaro ZL1. “You know what they say about internal combustion engines—that they are always at the end of what they can do—and somehow we always find a way to do a little bit more. I think we still have a little bit more life in that engine.”

In another thread someone speculated the Voodoo is going to see Equal length shorties, port/direct injection, and some internal work.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
A mustang GT can compete with a zl1 too, but like the 350 will lose. It needs too much power that the FPC won't be able to deliver in NA form. It's got to be boosted one way or another.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Do you honestly think ford will add over 40 hp to the FPC? I'd be willing to bet they won't. We're always willing to add more HP than a Mfgr. Is a 570HP FPC going to do it against the zl1? Nope. Needs more...perhaps that and a DCT but that ain't happening this Gen either.
I said I'd take a v6 eb in this heavy gen but before I bought one it would need to be 750+ hp and that ain't happening. Or a 650 hp at 3300 lbs and that ain't happening. So...no v6 for me. Now for the s650. 650 and 3300 is doable if they shrink the car and use aluminum. No matter how you look at it what this column states will not beat a zl1. It needs to be a boosted engine that Ford introduces. A NA won't do it, not with that weight. A v6 could but it's gotta pump out 650+
I never said ford was going to update the voodoo. I long ago kept saying they (ford) would never increase the hp/tq on the voodoo.
The S550 is not going to get any different engine in it. Nor will the S550 ever get a weight reduction. I agree with you on the weight and power.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

“I’m sure somebody could find a way to fit a twin-turbo into a Mustang, but we’re pretty happy with the 5.2 V-8 we’ve got in the 350 now,” Nair said. “It’s quite an engine.” He disputed the idea that the engine has reached its horsepower limit and cannot compete with the Camaro ZL1. “You know what they say about internal combustion engines—that they are always at the end of what they can do—and somehow we always find a way to do a little bit more. I think we still have a little bit more life in that engine.”

In another thread someone speculated the Voodoo is going to see Equal length shorties, port/direct injection, and some internal work.
I'll guarantee you that ford will not add port/direct injection and equal length shorties to the voodoo. First of all there is no room for equal lengths. Second the vodoos life is nearing an end.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I'll guarantee you that ford will not add port/direct injection and equal length shorties to the voodoo. First of all there is no room for equal lengths. Second the vodoos life is nearing an end.
Yeah I don't know what they're going to do, but there's no ignoring what Raj said.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd love to have a ecoboost V6 halo mustang. Why not? More tq, less weight. People like you amuse me with your old fashion thinking. Kinda reminds me of the old big block guys saying they would never buy a muscle car with a small block!!! Where are they now?
Or the truck guys saying they won't buy a truck with a V6. Where are they now? Driving ecoboosted F150's
I have a FX2 5.0 F150 and a Sport 2.7 ecoboost F150. The 2.7 kills the 5.0 in all categories except maybe towing. But that 2.7 still pulls my 20' trailer and Shelby.
If ford builds a 550-600+ ecoboost V6 Shelby with a weight of 3200-3400 look out!
I might buy a 6 in a pickup, but if Mustang goes to a V6 I might be all done with them. I will never say never, but I certainly don't welcome a 6 like you seem to be.

Why? I drive the car on the highway/city on the streets every day. I obey the law. Peak HP and torque don't matter on a daily basis, but the sound the engine makes is a constant companion. I'd rather have a car with less power that at least sounds good. V6 engines sound like garbage.

If the Camaro has a V8 and the Mustang only has a 6 available that will suck, because I have never bought a Chevy before. Who knows what will happen? There are still quite a few things Ford can do to improve fuel economy in the V8s.

Ideally Trump and the republicans will throw out the garbage CAFE B.S. and we will be able to buy V8 cars forever. 20 mpg is plenty. It's dumb to have laws that say the car companies can't make cars that people want. Give me a cheaper, less complicated power train, not 10+ speed automatics.

For sure it's possible to make more power with the Voodoo. I'm not sure whether it can compete with the ZL1 unless it gets FI. I guess we will see.

A number of companies already make equal length headers for the voodoo.

Yeah I don't know what they're going to do, but there's no ignoring what Raj said.
True. I really hope some info about the next models comes out soon.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I really doubt ford brings a less capable mustang halo than the camaro halo. It isn't like them. I'll be expecting a FI engine soon.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I might buy a 6 in a pickup, but if Mustang goes to a V6 I might be all done with them. I will never say never, but I certainly don't welcome a 6 like you seem to be.

Why? I drive the car on the highway/city on the streets every day. I obey the law. Peak HP and torque don't matter on a daily basis, but the sound the engine makes is a constant companion. I'd rather have a car with less power that at least sounds good. V6 engines sound like garbage.

If the Camaro has a V8 and the Mustang only has a 6 available that will suck, because I have never bought a Chevy before. Who knows what will happen? There are still quite a few things Ford can do to improve fuel economy in the V8s.

Ideally Trump and the republicans will throw out the garbage CAFE B.S. and we will be able to buy V8 cars forever. 20 mpg is plenty. It's dumb to have laws that say the car companies can't make cars that people want. Give me a cheaper, less complicated power train, not 10+ speed automatics.

For sure it's possible to make more power with the Voodoo. I'm not sure whether it can compete with the ZL1 unless it gets FI. I guess we will see.

A number of companies already make equal length headers for the voodoo.

True. I really hope some info about the next models comes out soon.
Mind showing me who makes equal length headers?