Sponsored

New GT350R Here!

3FIFTYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Hey all! My pops just picked up his new 2016 GT350R a couple weeks ago. He's not big on the whole internet forum thing, and to be honest I'll probably drive the car as much as he does, so figured I'd finally stop lurking and set an account up for both of us. Since it's all anybody really cares about, here are a couple quick pics (please forgive the poor quality phone pics - I keep forgetting to bring my camera when we go to visit):

vJdTxVn.jpg

yQvYy7v.jpg

0157W2w.jpg

First impressions: WOW. I currently drive an MK7 Golf R (the family hauler) and the old man owned a 997.1TT 6spd prior to this, which I drove a lot. That car was really great, and pretty damn fast, but this one is so much more exciting and just spine-tinglingly RAW. And dat sound. It is literally the best sound I've ever heard. And I don't just mean from a car... that includes music, my 8 month old's first giggle, bedroom nosies, etc. :D We've put ~500 miles on it so far, with a good deal of spirited driving, and there's been a smile painted on my face the whole time. What a machine.

A couple observations:

1. This car tramlines like crazy! I know it's to be expected with the wide front rubber, but sometimes I find myself holding on for dear life. Has anybody with an R removed the carbon fiber wheels in favor of something a little more streetable? I know that sort of defeats the purpose of the R, but we plan on tracking the car, so we could reserve the carbon wheels and the Sport Cup 2s for the track. Any recommendations for sizing, wheel brand, tires, etc.?

2. The sticky rubber kicks up rocks all over the place. I constantly find myself cringing at the sound of pebbles bouncing off the fenders, rocker panels, etc. Been considering xpel or something like that... any thoughts on whether its worth it?

3. Sometimes, when I put the car in first gear at a complete stop, I hear a soft clunk coming from the rear of the car. Anybody else notice that? Anything to be concerned about?

Any other recs/suggestions for a new owner are of course appreciated.

Anyway, thats enough for now. This car is truly something special. Looking forward to being a member of the community and hopefully meeting some of you in person at some point. :cheers:
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
1. This car tramlines like crazy! I know it's to be expected with the wide front rubber, but sometimes I find myself holding on for dear life. Has anybody with an R removed the carbon fiber wheels in favor of something a little more streetable? I know that sort of defeats the purpose of the R, but we plan on tracking the car, so we could reserve the carbon wheels and the Sport Cup 2s for the track. Any recommendations for sizing, wheel brand, tires, etc.?
For what its worth, the non-R does this too.

911-AL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R and other interesting BMWs and Porsches
Hey all! My pops just picked up his new 2016 GT350R a couple weeks ago. He's not big on the whole internet forum thing, and to be honest I'll probably drive the car as much as he does, so figured I'd finally stop lurking and set an account up for both of us. Since it's all anybody really cares about, here are a couple quick pics (please forgive the poor quality phone pics - I keep forgetting to bring my camera when we go to visit):

vJdTxVn.jpg

yQvYy7v.jpg

0157W2w.jpg

First impressions: WOW. I currently drive an MK7 Golf R (the family hauler) and the old man owned a 997.1TT 6spd prior to this, which I drove a lot. That car was really great, and pretty damn fast, but this one is so much more exciting and just spine-tinglingly RAW. And dat sound. It is literally the best sound I've ever heard. And I don't just mean from a car... that includes music, my 8 month old's first giggle, bedroom nosies, etc. :D We've put ~500 miles on it so far, with a good deal of spirited driving, and there's been a smile painted on my face the whole time. What a machine.

A couple observations:

2. The sticky rubber kicks up rocks all over the place. I constantly find myself cringing at the sound of pebbles bouncing off the fenders, rocker panels, etc. Been considering xpel or something like that... any thoughts on whether its worth it?

3. Sometimes, when I put the car in first gear at a complete stop, I hear a soft clunk coming from the rear of the car. Anybody else notice that? Anything to be concerned about?

Any other recs/suggestions for a new owner are of course appreciated.

Anyway, thats enough for now. This car is truly something special. Looking forward to being a member of the community and hopefully meeting some of you in person at some point. :cheers:

That sound you hear is the exact reason why you should put a pause on driving it, detail it, and let someone protect the paint. If you use XPEL or better then you will not even know it's there.

If you don't you will regret it. Been there done that.

Al

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
You have a cool dad! Congratulations to you guys. Enjoy it safely.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your dad has great taste. What a beautiful car!

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
1. This car tramlines like crazy! I know it's to be expected with the wide front rubber, but sometimes I find myself holding on for dear life.
Steering in comfort helps a tiny bit. Also the steering supposedly can learn how to help with this, but I'm not exactly sure thats true.

Main thing is stay out of the trenches that the big trucks leave. Far right lane off line (ride the shoulder line) or in a left lane is usually best.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Great color choice! Thanks for the pics as well.

Regular GT350 tramlines like crazy, too, but perhaps that is part of the fun. Keeps you awake.

For wheels, I don't have any great suggestions as there are so many options. There is a post floating around here about some flow-formed wheels made to the stock R sizes, as well as some in the 20" size. I don't think the 19's are available yet, but you may keep an eye out for that.

I really like the Forgeline GA1R.

Of course there is also the standard GT350 wheels.

-T

OP
OP

3FIFTYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone. Will pass along the sentiments to the old man. If anyone has questions or is curious about any aspect of the car, just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
No questions here.... just a big congrats to your pops and you. :thumbsup:

And the best statement ever... although the bedroom noise thingy can be hard to top. :D

"And dat sound. It is literally the best sound I've ever heard. And I don't just mean from a car... that includes music, my 8 month old's first giggle, bedroom nosies, etc"
:cheers:

Sponsored

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone. Will pass along the sentiments to the old man. If anyone has questions or is curious about any aspect of the car, just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

By the way...how old is the "old man"..lol :shrug: I want to know if I should be offened:lol:;)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Im a 44 year " OLD " man.

Congrats on you and your dads car. I have 285s on my gt500 and it doesnt tramline all that much. Its not suv good...but it does fine.
Sponsored