JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Grandé

Was hoping the '18 would bring back the Grandé, for a Luxury Mustang. They did upgrade some of the interior pieces, but maybe they can bring a real one back for S650. However, BMW has the right idea.
IMG_9217.jpg

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
I just found out, that SOP for the S650 has been pushed back to December 1, 2020, so it looks like it will be a 2021.5 model in February 2021. Makes sense, seeing as how the 2018 refresh will barely be out in December. Can anyone confirm this though, as I believe it's accurate info?

Really looking forward to hearing any whispers from Dearborn and Cologne about the ongoing design process. The new Mustang will be on an all-new platform called "D6R", so I am really curious what it will bring.

The S550 was an excellent stepping stone, but the S650 will complete the transformation of the Mustang nameplate into a world-class 21st century pony car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Indicates it will be shared with D6? I.e. medium to large vehicles. And since it's obviously RWD this means there could be other RWD vehicles from this platform. Early rumours of D6 also suggested it would be versatile enough for AWD and FWD.

Perhaps D6 will have all 3 drive types and the "R" is for RWD.

Sharing a platform with other vehicles could also mean a change in Mustang's much-loved proportions.

If Mustang has to share a platform to remain sustainable then so be it.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Indicates it will be shared with D6? I.e. medium to large vehicles. And since it's obviously RWD this means there could be other RWD vehicles from this platform. Early rumours of D6 also suggested it would be versatile enough for AWD and FWD.

Perhaps D6 will have all 3 drive types and the "R" is for RWD.

Sharing a platform with other vehicles could also mean a change in Mustang's much-loved proportions.

If Mustang has to share a platform to remain sustainable then so be it.
I thought the explorer was rumored to be on the D6 platform. How would the mustang and explorer share a common platform?

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I thought the explorer was rumored to be on the D6 platform. How would the mustang and explorer share a common platform?
I read the same thing, Explorer will be on D6. I don't see how that platform at all could be shared with a Mustang.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
I read the same thing, Explorer will be on D6. I don't see how that platform at all could be shared with a Mustang.

Considering that the Taurus and Explorer share the same platform now (I think), it would not surprise me one bit.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Considering that the Taurus and Explorer share the same platform now (I think), it would not surprise me one bit.
Yes those two share a platform, as does the Fusion and Edge.

I just don't see how a mustang being built on a full size car/midsize SUV platform could be a good thing.

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes those two share a platform, as does the Fusion and Edge.

I just don't see how a mustang being built on a full size car/midsize SUV platform could be a good thing.
The Explorer is no longer a true SUV. It is by all means a Short wheel based station wagon that has a very stiff Chassis considering it's weight.

By the time the new platform comes out, it may well be just as low to the ground as the S550 is now and much stiffer.

Look at how the Holden Zeta platform evolved into the Alpha Platform for GM. This could be a good thing. :shrug:

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Zeta and Alpha were both dedicated RWD architectures with AWD options.

D6 is Transverse FWD vs the Mustang's Longitudinal RWD setup. That's basic architecture, which unless fully modular, can't really be changed due to relationships of hard points like firewall positioning.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The S550 is actually quite a stiff chassis. C6 Vettes flex more than our cars (maybe that isn't saying much...but maybe it is too). I've raised the rear wheels on some parking structure ramps and I didn't even know until my inner tire was slipping. I think what should be focused on next is making the goddamn thing LIGHTER. Especially since the next gen car will be accommodating a hybrid powertrain.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The S550 is actually quite a stiff chassis. C6 Vettes flex more than our cars (maybe that isn't saying much...but maybe it is too). I think what should be focused on next is making the goddamn thing LIGHTER. Especially since the next gen car will be accommodating a hybrid powertrain.
I meant to include lighter in there as well

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
I guess vertical body height has less to do with chassis design that one would think.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.