Sponsored

Sound tube delete

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
I know a few people have already done it. Seems most/all the parts should be sourced easily at local hardware/auto parts stores.

The problem is that this thing looks like it snakes in behind the engine into the firewall.

I don't seem to have access from the top on my PP due to the amount of braces in there.

Any tips on how to get to the bolt that goes into the firewall? Need to jack and go underneath?
Sponsored

Ingot2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
It's a pain in the ass. I took the strut tower brace off. Was able to get a 1/4" drive socket back there with a few swivels an was able to get it off. Its a 10mm nut. Don't think you can get it from the bottom

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Darn near impossible with the PP braces. Can't reach or see the retaining nut.

Right now mine is literally hacked off most of the way back, need to pull the braces and do it right.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
Sound Tube Removal

I diffenently want to remove mine for engine bay/dress up looks. I just installed FRPP / Ford blue coil covers. The little bit of color and contrast looks great. But you can hardly notice the left bank with the sound tube blocking the view.

I think the first thing I'll do is remove it from the air intake tube and cap both the intake and the tube, take it for a ride and see if it kakes a difference. If it does, than I'll proceed from there.

I've looked at the fire wall connection with an extention mirror and light. Dam...
That's a tough reach, especially with both of my braces in the way.

If it turns out that I like it when it's capped off, I'm considering just cutting in as far back towards the fire wall as I can and capping it there. I know...not as clean and gearhead as it could be right?

Another idea I had was taking off the drivers front wheel, and wheel well liner and seeing if it's more accessable.

Anybody...please weigh in!

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
It's a pain in the ass. I took the strut tower brace off. Was able to get a 1/4" drive socket back there with a few swivels an was able to get it off. Its a 10mm nut. Don't think you can get it from the bottom
I'm sorry Dude...I skimmed over your post and didn't notice that you had suceeded in the removal. Good job! I think I'll try it your way first.

BTW...is the result better? Did it make it quiter in the cabin? Another words...was it worth the trouble?

Sponsored

Ingot2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
The stud that the 10 mm nut is on is rediculously long so a standard length socket was to short but a deep socket was too long and hitting the head. So I ended up cutting down a junk deep socket I had so it was just long enough to work... Pain in the ass. Lol.

Streetcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coupes, cobras etc. had them all
What are the benefits in doing this, more power or more intake sound?

Cobrakev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Any pics of removal?

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
The stud that the 10 mm nut is on is rediculously long so a standard length socket was to short but a deep socket was too long and hitting the head. So I ended up cutting down a junk deep socket I had so it was just long enough to work... Pain in the ass. Lol.
I have some of those pass through sockets, think that will work?

BTW, what was the sound difference? less intake noise?

Sponsored

Twenty15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium | DIB
Is the point of all this cosmetic?

clrsky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Race Red
I removed the sound tube when I put in my AiRaid CAI system and they had a pop in fitting to fill the firewall hole. As others have said, it is a pain in the butt to get to. I have the firewall and strut tower braces since I have the 20" wheels and it makes it tough but with a deep 10mm socket and 1/4" swivel and short extension and about 15 minutes of painful click clicking you get the nut off that stupidly long bolt they mount it on behind the engine. I have a SW catback so didn't want or need the engine noise in the cabin, would much rather have the deep exhaust sound alone. Makes it a little bit quieter in the cabin without it.

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
I removed the sound tube when I put in my AiRaid CAI system and they had a pop in fitting to fill the firewall hole. As others have said, it is a pain in the butt to get to. I have the firewall and strut tower braces since I have the 20" wheels and it makes it tough but with a deep 10mm socket and 1/4" swivel and short extension and about 15 minutes of painful click clicking you get the nut off that stupidly long bolt they mount it on behind the engine. I have a SW catback so didn't want or need the engine noise in the cabin, would much rather have the deep exhaust sound alone. Makes it a little bit quieter in the cabin without it.
Did you get the Airaid by itself, or bundled with a tune?
What are your impressions of it? I'm on the fence with the JLT or Airaid.

Any pics with Airaid and sound tube delete?

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
It's fairly easy to remove with the proper tools. 4 nuts and the tower brace is a non issue.

10mm flex head ratchet wrench. Took me 5min maybe.

Locking flex head would be easier, but a non locking will work too.
Sponsored