Thompyt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic/Red Redline GT PP Premium
GT PP premium.
Does s anyone else seem to be experiencing notchy shifting? I can press the clutch in and try to lightly shift and I feel it clunking through the gates. Gears don't seem to matter. My Focus ST shifted better.
Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I've driven better manual transmission cars, but the MT82 is far from the worst.

It's a bit above average I'd say (minus the occasional thud).

Notchy shifts improve as the trans warms up. The MGW shifter will help too.

aeropaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Yeah, I get notchy shifts too. And I agree with dwaleke, this is far from the worst shifting trans I've ever driven. I'd also agree with slightly above average. Shift firmly and you shouldn't have any problems. It gets better as you warm up the trans. It's also cold as shit where I am, so I have no warm-weather comparison to give you.

OP
OP

Thompyt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
Is there anything out there other than MGW? FRPP has a short throw, but there is little info on it.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
An aftermarket shifter will do more for finding gears and eliminating miss-shifts (whether it's due to clutch-shifter timing or going between gates). Trans fluid (type, viscosity and quality), brake fluid (quality and hydraulic system bled well), the clutch system (integrity & design) and the synchros (integrity & design) are what will mostly affect shift quality.

Brake fluid good? It's a new car.
Bled well? Should be.
Clutch system OK? Hopefully...
Synchros OK? Should be.
Trans fluid good? Ford thinks so...

OP
OP

Thompyt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
I am trying to finess the shift though. Using two fingers instead of gripping the shifter.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Amsoil MTF + XL18 pretty much cures this.
Amsoil MTF is good fluid. In fact almost all of the synchromesh fluids out there are all good (BG Synchro Shift II, Amsoil MTF, RP Synchromax, Redline MTL).

From my research I have found that XL18 was added to the QDC dual-clutch fluid in our trans to quiet it down. It shouldn't do anything for shift feel.

The QDC fluid is an 'ATF like' viscosity fluid (~6 cst @ 100c vs 8-12 cst).

While the QDC fluid should provide smoother shifts in colder climates it doesn't keep the trans a quiet as a heavier fluid. Hence the additive.

I would run Amsoil without it and then determine if the trans was quiet enough. Only add it if it were not.

Good reference: MTL Trans Fluid GL-4

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I had a Ford 9N tractor that had a better feeling shifter than the MT82. Its definitely isnt good and smooth like a 100,000mi WC T5.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone comment as to whether this improves with mileage? Drove a brand new (<20 mi) today and was less than thrilled, particularly from 1st to 2nd.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Can anyone comment as to whether this improves with mileage? Drove a brand new (<20 mi) today and was less than thrilled, particularly from 1st to 2nd.
About 2800 miles on mine, still the same. But honestly, you should have drove it a little further if you are in a cold climate. I didn't notice this when I picked the car up since the temps were in the 80's. But as cold weather hit, it's there. When I get my first oil change, I'm taking them in some of the Amsoil and the additive and have them drain the stock trans oil and give it a try. Anyone know how much it needs?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
About 2800 miles on mine, still the same. But honestly, you should have drove it a little further if you are in a cold climate. I didn't notice this when I picked the car up since the temps were in the 80's. But as cold weather hit, it's there. When I get my first oil change, I'm taking them in some of the Amsoil and the additive and have them drain the stock trans oil and give it a try. Anyone know how much it needs?
I drove for over 30 mins and it improved but only slightly.

NVulture

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium with PP MT
I heard from a friend who owns a 2013 mustang and has a lot of experience modding mustangs that the notchyness of the mt182 is not the actual gearbox but the gear shifter actually locking the stick into gear. It's designed that way...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, ok. I guess I'll get used to it.

Max57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)