Sponsored

GT350 airbox/filter - does it get wet when it rains?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
There is no such thing as a stupid question, right?

I'm strongly considering the Ford Performance Power Pack 2, with the GT350 airbox/filter, TB and tune. I've scanned through the Power Pack thread but didn't see this specifically addressed.

What concerns me is the open airbox design that to my eyes, appears to seal up under the driver's side hood vent. Doesn't water pour in the there when it rains and when you wash the car? Does the GT350 airbox take in air from the hood vent as well as the front grill/CAI portion?

When I wash my car, the engine is usually hot to warm and by the time I open the hood to dry the nooks and crannies, the stock airbox is usually dry or has just a few spots on it. Yes, I could take the hose and spray it right in there and check but I've not done that yet.

My car is a DD and I'd hate to wind up stranded b/c my filter got wet and sucked a gallon of water into the intake manifold/engine.

If you would share your personal experiences with this intake, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Not to hijack but just wanted to say thank you for asking ;) I searched around a bit and couldn't find an answer either but I was going to ask this same question. So thanks :)

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
LOL! I hope we both get a straight answer. Until you do these things yourself, you just don't know, you know? Hence, the value of forums like this. :thumbsup:

And this is a "$700 question" with the potential of costing a lot more if things go south in the rain. I have to be able to drive the car, no matter the weather.

Tninl16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes the hood vent is directly above the filter on the gt350 CAI, however the amount of water that gets through is not an issue. I have run this CAI for going on 20k miles now and have not had one issue.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, Tninl16. I just thought to ask this: Does the GT350 airbox have a "water drain hole" at the bottom? It would make sense and ease my mind if it did.

Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
Thanks, Tninl16. I just thought to ask this: Does the GT350 airbox have a "water drain hole" at the bottom? It would make sense and ease my mind if it did.
check cjnvideo.. N i asked mybdealer... It does not get wet... N it has drip hole as well

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I tend to get more water in the air box while washing my car through the inlet vent in the grill, it's wide open into the filter. I have noticed some water at the bottom of the open air box at various times but the filter is always dry. I run a Steeda but I assume it's the same for all open style cold air intakes.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I tend to get more water in the air box while washing my car through the inlet vent in the grill, it's wide open into the filter. I have noticed some water at the bottom of the open air box at various times but the filter is always dry. I run a Steeda but I assume it's the same for all open style cold air intakes.
Thanks a lot, 2015Etrac. That you find the filter dry most times is reassuring. My main concern about any non-closed-box air intake is water. Years ago when I was into wheeling SUVs, fording 36" of water was the "concern point." Now with a Mustang and open hood vents, "light rain" is a concern. Just want to ensure I'm taking most common scenarios into account.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I've been told that this isn't really an issue on these cars. The filters won't take in any water even though some water may get on it. The only time when you'd need to worry is if the filter gets submerged which should not happen.

Sponsored

BenGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Drove though a car wash and only a few drops around the airbox hood seal. Filter was dry.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Thanks a lot, 2015Etrac. That you find the filter dry most times is reassuring. My main concern about any non-closed-box air intake is water. Years ago when I was into wheeling SUVs, fording 36" of water was the "concern point." Now with a Mustang and open hood vents, "light rain" is a concern. Just want to ensure I'm taking most common scenarios into account.
I always check because like you I was concerned about an open vent right over the filter, however like I said there's never been an issues with mine, and since Ford sells the GT350 intakes for the GT's in the Performance Pack I doubt they have any concern. The water must come down at an angle at which is doesn't hit the filter, maybe towards the back of the box. I usually rinse down my hood pretty well and at most there might be a small puddle in the air box, small enough that a paper-towel soaks it up right away.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Even if water gets on it, I don't think it would be a huge concern. If you are worried, you could get one of those pre-filters that goes over the filter like a sock which is intended to deter water from soaking into it. I'm not sure if that has any negative effect on airflow but it's a good safety net.

Mr. Motion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium w/ Perf. Pack & PP2
If you're really worried about it, just take the plastic top from a Folger's, Maxwell House (or whatever) coffee can, cut off the outside rim, and insert it behind the mat, under the vent whenever it looks like rain or when you wash your car. It will divert the water to the front of the hood. Here's what it looks like from underneath the hood.
IMG_1220.jpg

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
If you're really worried about it, just take the plastic top from a Folger's, Maxwell House (or whatever) coffee can, cut off the outside rim, and insert it behind the mat, under the vent whenever it looks like rain or when you wash your car. It will divert the water to the front of the hood. Here's what it looks like from underneath the hood.
Genius. :hail:
Sponsored