Sponsored

MT82 noise on clutch engagement, first gear

drobinson1692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis Coupe
Heys guys - I'm new to the S550 and any mustang for that matter. I know the Mt82 can be quite noisy and clunky along with the drive train.

I noticed today with the windows up (yes, I know that increases noise) that on takeoff, right after the clutch is engaged FULLY after slipping, there is a very brief whir/hollow grinding noise. I also have a ton of drivetrain noise at around 1k rpms like in parking lots. Same with shifting to second. Lots of clunking and thuds.

Is all of this in spec? I know I'm paranoid. Thanks all!!
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I do notice at lower rpm the transmission does make some kind of beans in a can noise.

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
Agreed. It is a bit noisy

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Noisy, whiney, rattles, pedal buzz.... shit you name it. 14k miles and it sounds like 114k miles.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Agreed. It is a bit noisy
However, it's probably one of the smoothest transmission shifting at high rpm.
I had an RX-8 previously, while it shifted good at lower rpm, sometimes at high rpm, I would get the gear blocked out.
The MT-82 gets better when shifting at higher rpm.

Sponsored

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
However, it's probably one of the smoothest transmission shifting at high rpm.
I had an RX-8 previously, while it shifted good at lower rpm, sometimes at high rpm, I would get the gear blocked out.
The MT-82 gets better when shifting at higher rpm.
I agree with this also, push it a little and I forget about the noises and just row thru the gears. I just need a good short throw to enhance the experience

blakbearddelite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB
I’ve been having a similar issue the last couple of weeks. When I put the car into first and keep the clutch depressed, there is a weird compressed air noise I hear. It feels like the car takes a little more gas to get moving, but outside that, the car feels normal. I feel like I smell a the faint odor of clutch, but it is infrequent. And I feel like I hear random metal clinking or something when driving and going through the gears. But like the clutch odor, it is infrequent. I have the money set aside for a new clutch, but I was really hoping to wait until next year. This year has been expensive with the blower addition, wheels, tires, and axles.
Sponsored