Sponsored

[Fixed] Clutch problem, can't shift.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Won't shift into 1st or reverse while the engine is running, but I can sort of get it into 1st or R if the engine is stopped (takes effort on the shift knob).

Won't up/down shift while running unless at certain speeds, and then it takes some effort.

Clutch travel seems short to me now, not like I think I remember it.

So what does that sound like? Throwout bearing?

Car went in for an alignment, got it back this morning and the clutch felt weird. Going home tonight and I couldn't get it out of my parking space.

Brake fluid reservoir has fluid, and the feed line to the clutch is intact.

Watching dashcam from the alignment place, and it looks like it got "stuck on something" when they tried to drive it up onto the alignment rack without the "ramps", but the underbody looks fine to my eye. The dashcam doesn't show any abuse on the road during the short appropriate low rpm test driving for the alignment and reparking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
Unless something is bent or broken underneath, this really sounds like the typical clutch disc gone bad. Not sure what they could have got hung up on. Check the shifter area and look for binding.
When my disc took a crap, it produced similar symptoms as your experiencing.

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
IDK was about to swap out my steeda clutch spring before taking it back to the dealer, and something popped around the clutch pedal and it feels and acts normal now.

I have no idea, but it works again.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
I had the EXACT same issue a few months ago after new engine install. I had physically pull up on pedal then all was well. Service Dept found no issues either. Not had any issues since. FWIW, my cruise control didn't work while I had reduced pedal travel.

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had the EXACT same issue a few months ago after new engine install. I had physically pull up on pedal then all was well. Service Dept found no issues either. Not had any issues since. FWIW, my cruise control didn't work while I had reduced pedal travel.
Weird. Yeah it once it popped up everything was fine. No idea how the alignment shop managed to get it stuck like that.

Cruise won't work if it detects the pedal is ever so slightly off it's top resting position. Even deleting the assist spring can cause cruise to not work, but the steeda spring does seem to keep it close enough to the expected spot.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Weird. Yeah it once it popped up everything was fine. No idea how the alignment shop managed to get it stuck like that.

Cruise won't work if it detects the pedal is ever so slightly off it's top resting position. Even deleting the assist spring can cause cruise to not work, but the steeda spring does seem to keep it close enough to the expected spot.
With mine, I assume they didn't have the pedal fully up when they hooked it all up so the throwout bearing didn't create enough push back to fully move pedal up. It's just a guess.

Steeda spring is definitely the way to go!!
Sponsored