Sponsored

Installed the MGW race spec this morning...

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
hey guys, I kept going back and forth about buying a MGW and if I would like it. I have the stock shifter with a Booma solid shifter mount and BG fluids. The stock shifter is pure garbage and the Booma solid mount is just a band-aid and also increased NVH, in IMO of course.

It took me 3 hours to install the MGW and that was with taking my time. I mounted it to the trans. It went very smooth and MGW videos are excellent, only complaint is that they should supply 2 bags of blue loctite, good thing I have my own bottle. The shifter feels like a piece of quality machinery, very smooth and precise. It is a little stiff but I only have 75 miles on it so it isn't broken in yet. I am very happy that I bought it (well worth the money), between the MGW and AWE catback this car is alot of fun to drive.

MGW installation tip's:
--DO not skip anything during install, do step by step with the video.
--To get the access I needed under the trans I placed a small piece of 2x4 between the trans mount and car body. That gave me enough room to get all bolts out.

DO yourself a favor and install jack brackets under the car and use a creeper. so much easier and safer!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
definately have a 10mm ratchetting wrench for the install, big time saver
It is actually mandatory, the length of the bolt and the limited space you will have severe muscle spasms in your hand way before the bolt is out. :lol:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Add BG Syncroshift II fluid and it'll be blissful to shift!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have to remove driveshaft to install the shifter? A shop by me says it's necessary for them to install it. If so does messing with the driveshaft open me up for potential problems later?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have to remove driveshaft to install the shifter? A shop by me says it's necessary for them to install it. If so does messing with the driveshaft open me up for potential problems later?
Definitely not. If they're telling you that, don't let them work on your car. Is it easier? Sure. Definitely not necessary.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
They quoted me $200 labor, I thought that was low so maybe that's why.
So you would say it's not a good thing to let them remove driveshaft?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the amount of time youd save by removeing driveshaft vs the time it takes to remove and reinstall the driveshaft isnt a good savings

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, thanks for this advice. I'll try to find someone else

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My driveshaft and exhaust did not cause issues for me so I did not touch them. If anything it is the trans tunnel that makes it tight. You NEED ratchet wrenches or dont bother!

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
havings skinny hands and arms helps bigtime to get that long bolt out. I hung on the transmission and driveshaft like a kid on the monkey bars to sag the transmission to get at that bolt.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
MGW definitely makes a bad ass shifter. We run one in our GT350 and it made a huge difference.

For anyone interested I actually have 1 X Spec in stock with the standard handle that can ship today so there's no wait time.

We also have another stock order on the way of Race and X specs with different handle options which should be here shortly so if you're not interested in the one we have left in stock we will have more options in stock very soon.

If you have any questions please let us know.
Sponsored