Sponsored

Starting in 2nd Gear

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
There is zero hard in jumping gears, my C5 Corvettes had a 1-4th lockout when you drove easily. So you had to go from 1st to 4th.
That is not entirely accurate. You are accelerating the wear on your 4th gear synchros to shift from 1st to 4th unless you take a conscious effort to shift slowly and manually assist in rev-matching. You could argue that you are preserving 2nd and 3rd gear synchros though.
Sponsored

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
1-3-5 is the norm. I tried 2-4-5 but prefer 1-3-5. To me it gives a good mix moderate RPM and pace with red light traffic. My usual shifts occur at 3k usually as that's my muscle memory from my previous Mustang. I'm working on doing 2500 shifts.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Honestly its not. I have the 373 gears so I know that helps get things moving easier but I have had a manual shift car most of my life so I dont feather the clutch at all as I know that leads to more slippage.
The taller the gearing, the more slippage required to get the vehicle moving. Period.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
1-3-5 is the norm. I tried 2-4-5 but prefer 1-3-5. To me it gives a good mix moderate RPM and pace with red light traffic. My usual shifts occur at 3k usually as that's my muscle memory from my previous Mustang. I'm working on doing 2500 shifts.
1-3-5 is a good combo like you said. I would have to say I drive that way 90% of the time around time. I do the 2nd gear start a lot too but not as much. But as you see on here everyone insists you are damaging the car but at the end of the day, every shift and clutch release wears on the car so drive it however you want. My car has been sitting at Ford for over 2 weeks for a vibration issue that looks like it may drag on for a while so enjoy your cars everyone as I miss mine :frusty:

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Unsubscribing. This is getting way off topic. As usual all the rocket scientists are chiming in on how you are ruining your car. Lets all just park them and not drive the damn thing then, lol

Sponsored

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Unsubscribing. This is getting way off topic. As usual all the rocket scientists are chiming in on how you are ruining your car. Lets all just park them and not drive the damn thing then, lol
It doesn't sound like you have ruined your car yet. And now that you are conscious of the potential to accelerate the wear on your clutch or synchronizers by using practices that require greater care and technique, you will most likely get many more years of service from your drivetrain.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
2/3/5 is common for me, you can get moving in 3d if you want and dont really have to rev or slip the clutch to do it either.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
It doesn't sound like you have ruined your car yet. And now that you are conscious of the potential to accelerate the wear on your clutch or synchronizers by using practices that require greater care and technique, you will most likely get many more years of service from your drivetrain.
yawn...you're game of condescension is as weak as you are.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
I skip 4th a lot

Sponsored

Berstuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP M/T Competition Orange
2/4/6 in town commuting. It's smooth as silk. Clutch is a wear item, does it really matter if you replace it at 80,000 miles instead of 85,000?