Sponsored

Starting in 2nd Gear

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
I usually start in second when going out of a stop light. With the 3.73 I have to rev so high to even keep up with all the normal auto drivers. Anyone else feel like a slow bastard in the PP compared to every other car?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
I usually start in second when going out of a stop light. With the 3.73 I have to rev so high to even keep up with all the normal auto drivers. Anyone else feel like a slow bastard in the PP compared to every other car?
Haha I did feel really slow at first, when I shifted a bit slower. Now that I've go tthat down, someone might occasionally beat me out of the intersection, but rarely would they stay in front. And I'm not talking about racing, or going above 3K RPM's, just casual driving.

I like to slowly row the gears though, it's sort of soothing, especially with an exhaust

G_Money_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PREM PP
This. With casual application of the throttle, it certainly feels that way. Easily remedied with the right foot...;)

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
It's not hurting the clutch if you don't slip the clutch. I drove my GTI that way all the time. 6 short gears is just too many around town. It ran fine using 1-3-5 or 2-4-6, it didn't care much. Made the commute a lot more bearable, and had a big influence on me ordering the 6R80 in this car.

Sponsored

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I've tried the 2-4-6, but I find myself now more often going 1-3-5.

I'm not sure what I'll settle with, or if I'll just go back to 1-2-3-4-5-6. With the 3.73s in the PP there's a LOT of shifting, which seems unnecessary with the 5.0 up front.

armsdealer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium PP2
1st gear is great. 4th-6th are almost useless... on public streets.

Often I will go from 3rd to 5th or 6th, but only when I hit traffic or a speed in which I think I will go directly to jail.

Fun fact, 3rd to 4th shift WILL spin the tires. Can't wait to try 4th to 5th.

DanDglassman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue
I'd like to take a poll - I bet that if you have an aftermarket exhaust, you are less likely to skip shift. Listening to that shift is pure music! :love:

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
usually do 1-3-5-6 or 2-4-6. Cant use 1 too often or you will rear end some slowbie in front of you

Sponsored

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
I do it often, cant say I have noticed the clutch slipping any more. If so thats on the driver as its not necessary at all

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
I've tried the 2-4-6, but I find myself now more often going 1-3-5.

I'm not sure what I'll settle with, or if I'll just go back to 1-2-3-4-5-6. With the 3.73s in the PP there's a LOT of shifting, which seems unnecessary with the 5.0 up front.
There is zero hard in jumping gears, my C5 Corvettes had a 1-4th lockout when you drove easily. So you had to go from 1st to 4th.

Top_Notch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I do the 1, 3, 5 around town in traffic. 1,2,3,4, and 5 is just too much to accelerate light to light around town. I guess I'm a lazy driver. I'm slow so just about everyone beats me off the line...except those occasions when I finally get on it. Then every nearby cops seems to find me when I do. 3.73 rear. First is not useless, just makes it super easy to get rollin' I only start in second when I'm still moving. I might try a dead stop from second to see how it feels.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I do it often, cant say I have noticed the clutch slipping any more. If so thats on the driver as its not necessary at all
You just are not noticing, but the clutch has to slip more to get the car moving in a higher gear. Its simply the nature of the mechanics. For an exaggerated example of it, try taking off from a standstill in 4th gear. I bet you will notice that you are having to slip it much more to get moving without stalling. 3rd gear wont be as bad, but still noticeable. 2nd gear not as bad as 3rd gear, but many people will still notice the difference.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
You just are not noticing, but the clutch has to slip more to get the car moving in a higher gear. Its simply the nature of the mechanics. For an exaggerated example of it, try taking off from a standstill in 4th gear. I bet you will notice that you are having to slip it much more to get moving without stalling. 3rd gear wont be as bad, but still noticeable. 2nd gear not as bad as 3rd gear, but many people will still notice the difference.
Honestly its not. I have the 373 gears so I know that helps get things moving easier but I have had a manual shift car most of my life so I dont feather the clutch at all as I know that leads to more slippage.
Sponsored