Comparing Ford ESP extended warranties - BaseCare vs ExtraCare vs PremiumCare

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
So this isn't specifically Mustang only, this applies to all Fords, but I think this is the right section to put this post. Hopefully it can become a sticky and help someone else out. I recently helped my daughter get her first car, a Ford Fiesta SE. Yea, I know, not a Mustang, but she can't afford anything more than this right now, and its actually a pretty decent car for the money. The prices are insanely good. Anyway, since they have the potential transmission issues widely reported on in the news, I was looking at purchasing a Ford ESP for it. And finding actual information on the Ford ESP plans is ridiculous. Ford doesn't show any type of actual comparison between the plans, aside from some very general lists. They also push strongly to sell you the PremiumCare, to the point where even the brochure doesn't even list the covered items by the same name as the other ESPs, making a side by side comparison nearly impossible. So I got frustrated and put everything in a spreadsheet to compare. Then I figured it would be great to put those spreadsheets online to help anyone else looking for the same data.

Now first thing I have to say is I don't see a value in the PremiumCare option unless you have a car with a lot of high tech features and electronics in it. The main difference I could find was the infotainment systems, the electric door handles, things like that. Normal electronic things like power items, including power seats, are covered under ExtraCare. So is pretty much all the important powertrain-related electronics in addition to the important mechanical items. So my spreadsheet doesn't include the PremiumCare items. If you are bargain shopping for an ESP then I doubt you would be looking at that anyway, and if its important to you then I am not going to convince you to settle for the lesser programs.

But to me, the decision really comes down to ExtraCare vs BaseCare, which is surprisingly complete for something called BaseCare. My spreadsheet shows what is the same between them and what is different, side by side. I also included prices for our Fiesta, just to see the difference between the two.

The hot deal seems to be 6yr/100k coverage. Anything less seems pointless for an extended warranty on a car with a 60k powertrain warranty from the factory, and once you go above that the prices rise dramatically. If you are one that keeps the car until it dies, I would consider simply BaseCare at the higher age/mileage limits, its reasonably complete.

Anyway, hope it helps someone else out there looking for the same info I wanted.
Sponsored

Attachments

ddaarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush RS2
This convinced me to cancel the 3rd party extended warranty sold to me by the financial guy at the Ford dealership. I have a few days before I can opt out with a written statement. More money in my pocket.

...now how about the prepaid maintainence package, cancel as well?

OP
OP
mnm4ever

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
This convinced me to cancel the 3rd party extended warranty sold to me by the financial guy at the Ford dealership. I have a few days before I can opt out with a written statement. More money in my pocket.

...now how about the prepaid maintainence package, cancel as well?
Glad I could help. Please note those prices are for the Fiesta, prices for the Mustang are likely higher, but not by a lot. Flood Ford is the best place I found to buy the ESP... local dealers add a lot of markup, but you can negotiate too.

Prepaid maintenance package huh? What maintenance? All my Mustang needs is oil changes and air filters for 100k. You can't rotate the tires. Everything else on the schedule is an inspection that even a half decent dealer includes with an oil change, which is $19-29 depending on coupons and specials. Air filters are what... $20 and 10 minutes of your time under the hood?

Thats one of the main reasons I bought a Mustang after owning mostly European cars... practically no maintenance. Its almost boring! All I have to do is wash it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I bought the Ford ESP PremiumCare warranty from Flood Ford. Since I don't drive my GT that much, I went for the 8 year $0 deductible with a low mileage limit. That way I got maximum time coverage.

With all the electronics on this car, going with the PremiumCare made sense to me, and besides, the difference in cost between the BaseCare and ExtraCare was only $45 and the difference in cost between the ExtraCare and PremiumCare was only $130. Over the life of the warranty (5 years beyond the 3 year factory warranty), $130 extra is only $26/year to basically get a full factory warranty for 8 years total (5 years beyond the factory warranty).

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
It really, really, really, REALLY sucks living in Florida when you would like to buy the extended warranty directly from the manufacturer.. Seeing as we can't take advantage of competition ... You can get the Premium care for the same price we can get the Base care, and sometimes even less (practically) in other states.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mnm4ever

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I bought the Ford ESP PremiumCare warranty from Flood Ford. Since I don't drive my GT that much, I went for the 8 year $0 deductible with a low mileage limit. That way I got maximum time coverage.

With all the electronics on this car, going with the PremiumCare made sense to me, and besides, the difference in cost between the BaseCare and ExtraCare was only $45 and the difference in cost between the ExtraCare and PremiumCare was only $130. Over the life of the warranty (5 years beyond the 3 year factory warranty), $130 extra is only $26/year to basically get a full factory warranty for 8 years total (5 years beyond the factory warranty).
I was in the same boat with my Mustang.. I put maybe 4k miles a year on it, so it isn't ever going to be a high mileage car. I was looking at getting an 8 year warranty but only for 75k, maybe even 60k. At those low mile limits the PremiumCare is barely more expensive than the lower level plans. But once the mileage limit goes over 100k then the price goes up dramatically. Obviously because thats when those tricky electronics go bad. I have a base GT so I dont think I need the PremiumCare. And then I thought about how even my VW didn't really have anything break before it hit around 80k, so I decided to skip the warranty.

OP
OP
mnm4ever

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
It really, really, really, REALLY sucks living in Florida when you would like to buy the extended warranty directly from the manufacturer.. Seeing as we can't take advantage of competition ... You can get the Premium care for the same price we can get the Base care, and sometimes even less (practically) in other states.
I live in Florida too, and its a BS rule written for the dealers. But it isn't as if they ask for proof of where you live when you buy them online. Just use a relative or friend's address in another state. I have an uncle in IL who happens to have the same name as me, so it's super easy for me to just use his address. But that's just easier for the post office, the dealer selling it doesn't care they just send the paperwork to whatever address you use when you order.

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
I live in Florida too, and its a BS rule written for the dealers. But it isn't as if they ask for proof of where you live when you buy them online. Just use a relative or friend's address in another state. I have an uncle in IL who happens to have the same name as me, so it's super easy for me to just use his address. But that's just easier for the post office, the dealer selling it doesn't care they just send the paperwork to whatever address you use when you order.
Never thought of that, still have 4k miles until my bumper to bumper is over... thanks for the idea

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Isn't the extended warranty an OR clause meaning it's valid for 8 years or XX,XXX miles which ever comes first?

We bought the ESP from the dealer and after finding out we over paid we cancelled it. As soon as the refund comes through we're going to purchase it again from Flood Ford.

Mr. Dad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT w/PP Magnetic 6 spd; 2005 F150 FX4
Isn't the extended warranty an OR clause meaning it's valid for 8 years or XX,XXX miles which ever comes first?

We bought the ESP from the dealer and after finding out we over paid we cancelled it. As soon as the refund comes through we're going to purchase it again from Flood Ford.
Yes, it is time OR mileage whichever comes first. The point, though, is that for cars that only see a few thousand per year, you are really buying time and you can drop down in mileage because you'll still hit the time limit before the mileage limit. I bought the 8 yr/60,000mile plan from Flood, figuring that gives me 8 years of coverage since I only drive the car part time and never very far ( I figured less than 6,000 miles per year). At that rate I'll hit the 8 years before I hit the 60,000 miles. I paid $870 for the 8 years. Seemed worth the peace of mind to me, and I'm one of those guys who never buys extended warranties.

Sponsored

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
The only disadvantage to this is that the Florida Attorney General's office will not assist you with any warranty related issues if you end up in a battle with Ford. But, from very recent experience, the Attorney General won't assist until you go through the BBB Auto Line, and will not assist with any issue where lemon law does not apply.

So, basically anything past the 3/36 warranty FL won't help anyway. I see no reason to pay full retail for a warranty if you can use a relatives address to register it in another state, and buy from Flood or one of the other online dealers.

af3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Thank you for the information Michael! My stang is at 20k miles and I'm about ready to purchase the extended warranty. Is Flood Ford the cheapest/best extended warranty out there for us?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thank you for the information Michael! My stang is at 20k miles and I'm about ready to purchase the extended warranty. Is Flood Ford the cheapest/best extended warranty out there for us?
Flood Ford is the cheapest genuine Ford Extended Warranty you'll find. I priced buying the same warranty coverage directly from Ford and Flood Ford's price was about 35% cheaper. Keep in mind this is an extended warranty through Ford, and is good at every Ford dealership in the country.

A couple of days after I bought the ESP from Flood Ford, I called my local Ford dealership and checked to see if my VIN was in their system and with the coverage I purchased. I was, so all is legitimate.

Reactions: af3

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Yes, it is time OR mileage whichever comes first. The point, though, is that for cars that only see a few thousand per year, you are really buying time and you can drop down in mileage because you'll still hit the time limit before the mileage limit.
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. I will be buying ours through Flood Ford.

af3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Flood Ford is the cheapest genuine Ford Extended Warranty you'll find. I priced buying the same warranty coverage directly from Ford and Flood Ford's price was about 35% cheaper. Keep in mind this is an extended warranty through Ford, and is good at every Ford dealership in the country.

A couple of days after I bought the ESP from Flood Ford, I called my local Ford dealership and checked to see if my VIN was in their system and with the coverage I purchased. I was, so all is legitimate.
Thank you for the reassurance!!
If you don't mind me asking, what package did you purchase?
Sponsored