Sponsored

Replaced stock axles, now I have a shimmy

blakbearddelite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB
I snapped the driver side axle a couple weeks ago and I have since replaced the stock axle with the DSS 800hp ones.

I had an issue getting the outside axle splines 100% seated into the spindle. We tried just about everything we could think of, but they just wouldn’t go in as far I thought they should. The tip of the axle looks like it should be just about flush with the outside circle on the spindle…comparing it to the stock axles and other pictures I’ve seen.

We put everything back together and now I feel a shimmy in the rear end when I get into or out of gear with moderate throttle and speeds. I was wondering if I need to go back and re-torque everything. I don’t know if it is a suspension part that wasn’t tightened enough or now the splines have play in them because the car has had load on it and the shimmy I feel is the car sliding on the slack of the spindles. Though I feel like it is more likely something in the suspension since we had to undo the LCA and vertical links during the process.

Anyway, just curious about anyone else’s experience with the axle swap process.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I snapped the driver side axle a couple weeks ago and I have since replaced the stock axle with the DSS 800hp ones.

I had an issue getting the outside axle splines 100% seated into the spindle. We tried just about everything we could think of, but they just wouldn’t go in as far I thought they should. The tip of the axle looks like it should be just about flush with the outside circle on the spindle…comparing it to the stock axles and other pictures I’ve seen.

We put everything back together and now I feel a shimmy in the rear end when I get into or out of gear with moderate throttle and speeds. I was wondering if I need to go back and re-torque everything. I don’t know if it is a suspension part that wasn’t tightened enough or now the splines have play in them because the car has had load on it and the shimmy I feel is the car sliding on the slack of the spindles. Though I feel like it is more likely something in the suspension since we had to undo the LCA and vertical links during the process.

Anyway, just curious about anyone else’s experience with the axle swap process.
Mine swayed crazy as well...I had the car re-aligned and it went away.

OP
OP

blakbearddelite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB
Thanks for the input, I thought about an alignment as well.

I just couldn't think of why it would need it when all I changed was the axle. But I guess you never know.

OP
OP

blakbearddelite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB
I was able to get the axles 100% seated last night. Driving around must have caused the axles to further seat and I took up the slack and torqued them back to spec.

However, I still have some suspension sloppiness I need to address. The rear-end still feels a little off upon fast accel/decel and sudden turns of the wheel.

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
I had a drivers side axle replaced by the dealer and had similar issues... alignment didn't correct it. sub'd for solution

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I had a drivers side axle replaced by the dealer and had similar issues... alignment didn't correct it. sub'd for solution
Well if the dealer replaced it I would have them figure it out.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The rear IRS design does not support an axle being the cause of instability - at least I don't see how that can be. The wheels are not attached by the axle. They're attached by the knuckle which rides on the LCA which is controlled by a toe and camber arm. Maybe I'm missing something... but it's pretty sad if replacing an axle can cause this kind of thing so easily and the fault not be the axle itself.

What exactly did you remove/unbolt when installing the axle?

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Just going to throw this out there.. I noticed this year when accelerating I would get a shimmy or wiggle from the rear. It felt like the car would shift power from wheel to wheel. I attributed it to the alignment as I couldn't get it exactly where I wanted it. Long story short, the axle nut loosened on me, I got another turn and a half on it and the shimmy is gone. Make sure they are tight, not kinda tight.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Did you preload the rear suspension, prior to tightening everything up? This will "clock" all the bushings at ride height so they are not deflecting.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow

Sponsored

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had a similar issue and it was due to one of the bolts somewhere not being torqued to spec after installing the axles. I found this when clocking my bushings, car rides perfect now.

OP
OP

blakbearddelite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB
Yeah, it was torqued to spec, but maybe not all the way thru the spindle. And driving loosened it up. We had a problem getting it seated and the splines pulled all the way through.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Yeah, it was torqued to spec, but maybe not all the way thru the spindle. And driving loosened it up. We had a problem getting it seated and the splines pulled all the way through.
Might want to add a little bit of grease on the splines to help them slide in and torque the nut following BMR's procedure from the link I sent you.
Sponsored