Sponsored

Custom Paint job. Opinions?

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
I'm still working with Ford on the paint issues I'm experiencing on the horizontal surfaces of my car. They already authorized a repaint, but I'm going for a buyback. If that doesn't work, I designed this paint scheme for my car. What do you guys think? The top color is supposed to be black, but for some reason, the color change makes it look dark blue. So the color is Black, red strip and magnetic.
2stripe.jpg
Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
I'm still working with Ford on the paint issues I'm experiencing on the horizontal surfaces of my car. They already authorized a repaint, but I'm going for a buyback. If that doesn't work, I designed this paint scheme for my car. What do you guys think? The top color is supposed to be black, but for some reason, the color change makes it look dark blue. So the color is Black, red strip and magnetic.
Very interest concept. I think it looks good from that angle. The use of the hash stripes makes all the difference. Well done.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I like the concept. But the straight line on th rear I am not liking much. I think following the curve of the rear fender may look better.

Just my thought :cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
I don't understand the two prior posts.

drobinson, what would you do over the rear quarters? I already have the entire top of the car painted, but you show a car with just a simple stripe. what are you suggesting?

ricardo, I have picked colors I like. What are you referring to?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Drobinson is saying don’t take your stripe how you have, make it like the RTR with your same color split. Might be a tad different than the RTR though because theirs doesn’t go down in the front like yours for the hashes.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I would agree with the rear quarter panel/Hop-up comments. Its such a powerful design element and would be a shame to not incorporate that into the design.

Good luck and keep us informed of what you end up doing! :thumbsup:

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP

drobinson, what would you do over the rear quarters? I already have the entire top of the car painted, but you show a car with just a simple stripe. what are you suggesting?

Color,not colors. That's what I was referring to. Whatever makes you happy.

drobinson1692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis Coupe

Look at the pic I posted. The vinyl down the side follows the contour of the rear fender and "bumps up" at the back. add that to your design because if you lose that body line, you lose a lot from the s550 body IMHO

Sponsored

Mr. Dad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT w/PP Magnetic 6 spd; 2005 F150 FX4
I think there is too much going on with that paint design on a car with so many body lines. I’d simplify it, but that’s me.

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Well, when it comes to design, I need to take the entire car into consideration. With the design I show above, I'm using the straight body line that runs from the rear of the car at the corner of the taillight to the top edge of the headlight. The contour of the rear quarter is on the top edge of the quarter. If I redesign the line to accentuate the upper body line, it will look stupid to also follow the mid body line. When doing custom designs, jumping all over the place will cause an eye sore.

Now, to accentuate the body line on the rear quarter, I need to raise the red line to the top edge of the quarter and follow the body line from the rear to the leading edge of the quarter. The problem with that design is that the leading edge of the rear quarter upper body line is lower than the body line on the door. By following that line, it will be a wave from the rear of the car to the front. The wave created, looks out of place because the upper body line of the door follows the window trim line as seen in the pic below. It loses it's symmetry.

pettys-garage-2015-ford-mustang-2014-sema-show-car_100487361_m.jpg

Now, if I drop the line going forward from the lowest edge of the rear quarter upper body line, to the front of the car, it will look too busy with 3 lines running through the door. Those three lines are the bottom of the window, the paint stripe and the upper body line of the door. Looks too cluttered to me. See below:

watsons-2015-mustang-build-roars-onto-motorsports-scene-sema.jpg

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
I am usually not that keen on two-tone cars; they look like putting a lid on a box, like the two examples you just posted above. However your design breaks the line due to your clever use of the hash stripe. You would certainly be putting your own stamp on your car.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
attachment.jpg

Would a second set of hash marks below the rear window and then follow the line of the rear fender with a red stripe work??? Black above and magnetic below. Would that follow the same as the front then????

I wish I had photoshop skills or I would post a pic rather than trying to explain. :doh:

Either way.... your car brotha!!!!! If you like what you are doing, our opinions don't mean shit. :cheers:

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Well, Ford denied my request for a buyback or replacement vehicle, so I either sell this car or see if I can get the car painted by my shop. If I decide to keep the car, I want it repainted by my local body shop and not the Ford dealer. If Ford says it has to be done at the dealer, then I won't be able to get my custom paint, so I'll just sell the car.
Sponsored