1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Okay, Advertisement on Nitto 55G2 from. http://www.fordmuscle.com/tech-stor...55g2-wows-on-steeda-new-edge-in-sebring-test/ :shrug:

Only stating that pro racers are winning with the Nitto tires including Steeda. Also don't understand why someone would give personal opinion on a tire they haven't tried.
Are pro racers driving their race cars on the street?

There's no nitto here in the west coast. Maybe all the pro race car drivers are swapping out their hoosier/michelin/pirelli slicks for nitto street tires. :lol:
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
555G2 is a street tire and isn't as good as the NT05 on track, let alone NT01.

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Anybody have a suggestion on my tire choice for the best traction on normal street asphalt without having to replace the tires in less than 10K miles that won't slip too much in wet conditions? Note they have to have 325 or 345 size in whatever I try next.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
$$$

As I stated before I was in a bind when I bought Bridgestone pole positions, but the Michelins really make you "pay to play" and I thought $197.00 a tire was expensive. Always check treadwear for grip capability. A friend of mine has Nitto's & M/T drag/streets and likes the Mickey's in wet conditions as he slid off the hwy on the Nitto's, to his credit he just did "power adders" to 600 Rwhp. I am studying Firestone's currently.
tn_IMG_20170726_064709_240.jpg

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang_Owner, I would avoid driving in the rain in wide tires.

I know the MPSS is a summer tire (I had 265 front/295 rear), but I have driven it during rain storms and was fine. Till one day I picked up my mom from the airport. Gave the car a little gas entering the freeway to 60 and started hydroplaning. My mom and I almost shat bricks. Luckily other cars weren't close by. Basically the driver side was facing on coming cars, but they were far enough to not hit me.

I steered towards the center divide and slowly counter steered back and was facing the right way again. Went on home like nothing happened.

But yea, wide tires are susceptible to hydro planing, specially 325-345!!! I'd slap on winter or all season 265 maybe even 275 square!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Easy for you to say living in Silicon Valley where it only rains for a few months of the year . . . and then only if you don't have a drought. :D

FYI I lived there for over 12 years.

However in much of the rest of the country rain can happen most of the year. :)

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Easy for you to say living in Silicon Valley where it only rains for a few months of the year . . . and then only if you don't have a drought. :D

FYI I lived there for over 12 years.

However in much of the rest of the country rain can happen most of the year. :)
Lol, trust me man, Im in the southbay and when I'm by myself I drive balls to the wall... Well not really :shrug:
Ive driven in torrential rain going to SF (to buy ice cream cake for my girl). I was going upwards of 90/95mph and was fine. Was the only one on the carpool lane, I had complete faith in my tires, I knew they were for summer. Then fast forward to a year later and im hyrdo planing in the east bay. My tires had a ton of tread too. LOL, guess I dont really drive balls to the wall!!!

This guy was going 65 mph & crashed, on 355 wide tires too. Although he drove with cruise control on :frusty:
Orange TA crash

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
As I stated before I was in a bind when I bought Bridgestone pole positions, but the Michelins really make you "pay to play" and I thought $197.00 a tire was expensive. Always check treadwear for grip capability. A friend of mine has Nitto's & M/T drag/streets and likes the Mickey's in wet conditions as he slid off the hwy on the Nitto's, to his credit he just did "power adders" to 600 Rwhp. I am studying Firestone's currently.
I had pole position S-04 305 rear and 295 front and still slid sideways in wet conditions. I've also tried a really cheap model continental tire and had the same issue. I think the harder the tire material (more like hard plastic), the more I slide in the rain. Note the S-04 was very good in dry hot conditions. When I slid on the S-04, those tires were basically new and still didn't hold up in 'wet' (not raining at the moment) conditions.

Speed has a lot to do with slippage in wet conditions. At high speeds, wet (no puddles, no rain - just the road being damp from a previous rain) roads + good wide tires still are horribly unsafe around any turns in my opinion. Of course good wide tires are really good when the road is dry. I live in South Florida where it rains every other day at the moment. About three months ago, it rained for about 7 days straight!

Sponsored

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush

I know the MPSS is a summer tire (I had 265 front/295 rear), but I have driven it during rain storms and was fine. Till one day I picked up my mom from the airport. Gave the car a little gas entering the freeway to 60 and started hydroplaning. My mom and I almost shat bricks. Luckily other cars weren't close by. Basically the driver side was facing on coming cars, but they were far enough to not hit me.

I steered towards the center divide and slowly counter steered back and was facing the right way again. Went on home like nothing happened.

But yea, wide tires are susceptible to hydro planing, specially 325-345!!! I'd slap on winter or all season 265 maybe even 275 square!
The viper I was looking at buying had 355 rear. What traction do you get on your viper with 345/355 in the rain and what kind of tires do you have on it? In dry conditions, if you launch around 2000 RPM in 1st, with WOT, do you spin at around 3700+? Do you also spin in 2nd at around 4000+ and 3rd at around 5000+? I need some good dry-traction tires that don't spin at WOT in 2nd or 3rd on asphalt that don't slip off the road when wet. I could also use a good tune that limits the power per gear per RPM to the point of just not slipping. I don't know how to make the tune do that, but I have a laptop and an SCT X4 if somebody knows.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
People talking about traction in the rain, like it should be expected.......Lord, help us all.

When it rains, you just drive like every other driver, rather than like a moron who doesn't grasp that there's much less traction when wet.

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
It was raining all day again today where I live. This car is my daily driver (work, grocery store, etc), so I don't really want to swap the wheels to no tread sticky tires for dry conditions and my MPSS for wet conditions. I don't take my car to the track either like most people who only care about dry performance. I need the tires to work in somewhat wet conditions, but be 'very' good for dry conditions. Just not sure MPSS are the right dry condition tires since they slip too much on asphalt in my opinion.

I need to decide 345 MPSS or something else at some point. The 325 I have will probably wear down in the next 6 to 12 months, so I have plenty of time to decide.
Sponsored