Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
So I put some G-Loc R12's on the car. I've used them for 4 days at Sebring and some street miles between the events. Checked them today after Saturday's track day and they have worn really uneven. I only did one really hot session as the rest of the day I was playing novice for a new instructor I was training. The taper is very frustrating as I hate to have to replace pads and leaving this much on the plate.:D Especially seeing as how I was not very impressed with their performance on the track. I actually feel like the stock pads gave better pedal feel on track.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?
bad pads.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gatorac

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Looks like the backing plates are actually warped. Might pay to put a straight edge along them and check.

Peter

OP
OP
Gatorac

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the backing plates are actually warped. Might pay to put a straight edge along them and check.

Peter
Optical illusion. I checked with a straight edge.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gatorac

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I guess my questions are, Is this much pad taper to be expected with the PP brakes? Perhaps running the R12 on the street and track caused excessive wear? I know some track pads can wear faster at low temps. Swapping pads before and after an event is an option for me. I've got some Powerstop Z23 pads on the way for both of my Mustangs for street duty.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Pad Material in Rotor Surface

I have included two pictures of the difference between a brand new rotor run on one easy track day (Daytona School Course) with the OEM pads and what it looks like after cleaning them by hand with 120 grit sandpaper. The amount of build up cleaned from the rotor is staggering. This cleaned surface will allow G-LOC pad to bed in properly and the wear rates of the pad and rotor will be very low.
14876599_10207633569937952_553575359074568454_o.jpg
14876431_10207633570257960_9107106649667878563_o.jpg

OP
OP
Gatorac

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Well, that is what the instructions from G-Loc said to do. However, I used a random orbit sander with 120 grit and did not do it by hand. I'm a bit lazy like that.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Is it just a characteristic of these pads or have I never seen a pad wear like that?

Ricky Nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
I guess my questions are, Is this much pad taper to be expected with the PP brakes? Perhaps running the R12 on the street and track caused excessive wear? I know some track pads can wear faster at low temps. Swapping pads before and after an event is an option for me.

The PP brakes are too new to know if this is a problem with them for everyone. Sebring is tough on brakes though. As for the taper wear, it has nothing to do with the brake pads. When you get taper wear it's completely related to the calipers. There is A LOT of flex in the calipers under the extreme heat and extreme hydraulic pressure that calipers see under track conditions.

I would think that you would at least want the R16 compound up front if you're going to Sebring, but maybe Tim at Optimum could answer that better. This is what I run on my Boss 302 and I love them. I thought the R12 didn't have enough bite for me liking, but the G-LOC R16 sure did. My two cents.

Sponsored

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Jim
Run Carbotech XP24s up front, XP12 rear. You won't be disappointed. These cars generate big heat both front and rear. I have also run R18 GLocs up front with pretty good results.
Steve

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also Titanium backing plate shims help, KNS Brakes has sets for GT350 which fit our calipers. I run them.
Steve

OP
OP
Gatorac

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Jim
Run Carbotech XP24s up front, XP12 rear. You won't be disappointed. These cars generate big heat both front and rear. I have also run R18 GLocs up front with pretty good results.
Steve
Hi Steve,

Do you get similar pad taper like mine? Do you swap something different in for the street?

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Luckily I don't get taper on front or rear, I think there is some variances in manufacturing of he pads that contributes to it. But heat is the enemy, these cars are heavy and generate big heat, that is why I run the 24 compound Carbotechs. With the S197 I actually bend the rear backing plates sometimes and see taper on the fronts occasionally.
Steve

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
After reading this thread, all I can say is thanks. This should be a "Brake Sticky", we need informed information like this and not many people have the experience this thread has shown. Twisty's here I come!
Sponsored