Sponsored

2015 Ford Mustang: Auto Designers Say Future Pony Car Has Good Bones, Stunning Look

KZStang

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/201...re-pony-car-has-good-bones-stunning-look.html

• Auto designers tell Edmunds that the 2015 Ford Mustang has good bones, a stunning appearance, but still "looks like a Mustang."
  • "All I can tell you is that it looks great," said Jack Telnack, former global design boss at Ford. "You will know it's a Mustang. There is no question about that."
  • The 2015 Mustang is expected to have a lower, sleeker appearance because the engine and suspension towers are positioned lower than on the 2013 model, said Stewart Reed, chair of the undergraduate transportation design program at the Art Center College of Design.

DETROIT — The Internet is buzzing with interest and speculation about the upcoming redesigned 2015 Ford Mustang. Edmunds turned to the automotive design community to ask what it has heard about the changes to the future Mustang, a car that has been part of the American landscape since 1964.

The response should be reassuring to Mustang aficionados. We're told that the 2015 Mustang has good bones, a stunning appearance, but still "looks like a Mustang."

Jack Telnack, former global design boss at Ford Motor Company, has seen a full-sized scale model of the new car, but understandably is mum on details. He retired in 1998, but makes frequent trips to Ford's headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan.

"All I can tell you is that it looks great," Telnack told Edmunds. "It's all new and it's hot. You will know it is a Mustang. There is no question about that."

Designer Stewart Reed told Edmunds that many of his colleagues are anxiously awaiting the unveiling of the redesigned Mustang. Reed is chair of the undergraduate transportation design program at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.

"I have heard some great words like 'stunning,'" Reed said. "This is coming from designers that are not even part of the team. They have seen the car from a distance and they are careful to not say what it is, exactly. To have a designer call someone else's design 'stunning' is pretty exciting." The redesigned 2015 Mustang goes on sale next year, during the model's 50th anniversary. Ford has said the car is being engineered to cater to buyers in Europe, the first time that Ford has expressed global aspirations for Mustang.

A four-cylinder model is being developed for that market, but the powertrain is not planned for U.S. sales, the automaker says. The rear-drive configuration will be maintained and an independent rear suspension will be added. Convertible and fastback models are expected. Speculation on when and where the 2015 Mustang will be introduced has ranged from the 2014 Detroit Auto Show in January to the 2014 New York Auto Show on April 17, 2014. The first Mustang went on sale on April 17, 1964.

The 2015 Mustang is expected to have a lower, sleeker appearance because the engine and suspension towers are positioned lower than on the 2013 model, Reed said. "What I am hearing is the basic architecture, the bones of this thing, are great, so I can't wait to see it," Reed said.

Additionally, Reed said Ford plans to put more emphasis on special-edition Mustangs. "They have done a really good job the last few years with special-edition versions of the car, the Boss, the Shelby and everything," he said. "I've heard the special-edition variations are really good. They are pushing that even to a more profound level than what they have had." Although there has been an industry trend to increase the size of a model when it is redesigned, Reed hopes the Mustang "shrinks down and gets a bit more sports car-like."

Designer Mark West agrees the current Mustang is too big, and he believes it also is too heavy. West is the Paul and Helen Farago chair of transportation design at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. West told Edmunds he has not seen the 2015 Mustang, but he believes "the next-generation Mustang should go on a little bit of a diet. The current car shares a platform with the old Lincoln LS. It is a large vehicle."

It is impossible to tell from the numerous spy photographs of camouflaged 2015 Mustangs how the car compares in size to the 2013 Mustang. "For its current audience, which is early Boomers, (the size) is probably perfect," West said. "In fact, the car as it is now is a beautiful design. But going forward and trying to target a younger audience and taking the car to Europe or Asia, the car could definitely benefit from a slight 10 percent diet."

Asked what he would do if he was in charge of the Mustang redesign, West said he would make sure that the overall design of the new car remained what he called "American." "By that I mean making sure that you don't deviate too far from its Mustang roots," he said. "I think there is a tendency always to play to a new market, say Europe, say Asia, and trying to get influence from what those cultures may want.

"But I think at the end of the day, what those cultures do want in a Mustang is its 'Americanism.' So to maintain a lot of the traditional iconic elements of the design whether it be the silhouette of the vehicle, the two single headlamps, the articulating rear lamps, those are things are I think are iconic and even non-American markets will look for."

Edmunds says: When auto designers outside the company are buzzing about the 2015 Ford Mustang, you know it's bound to be something special.
Sponsored

OP
OP

K.Lysius

Asked what he would do if he was in charge of the Mustang redesign, West said he would make sure that the overall design of the new car remained what he called "American." "By that I mean making sure that you don't deviate too far from its Mustang roots," he said. "I think there is a tendency always to play to a new market, say Europe, say Asia, and trying to get influence from what those cultures may want.
I think this guy echoes what a lot of us here have often said and are hoping for. And I don't think Ford is going to disappoint us.

Edmunds says: When auto designers outside the company are buzzing about the 2015 Ford Mustang, you know it's bound to be something special.
:hail::ford:

OP
OP

GTsquid

Yea... this wait is killing me!! Keep hearing how great this thing looks.

Former Ford designer and he only got to see a full scale model. Has ANYONE seen the real thing?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51

Former Ford designer and he only got to see a full scale model. Has ANYONE seen the real thing?
They're really keeping this car close to the vest unlike the new Vette which everyone pretty much new what it was going to look like from various supplier leaks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KZStang

They're really keeping this car close to the vest unlike the new Vette which everyone pretty much new what it was going to look like from various supplier leaks.
Yes, but it's still pretty early. I have heard they may not have even finalized the suppliers yet.

There's bound to be some leaks no matter how hard Ford tries to keep it under wraps. If someone was stupid enough to leak the Jalopnik pics (assuming those were third party) wait until more suppliers get involved and companies with more "arms length" dealings with Ford in general.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Yes, but it's still pretty early. I have heard they may not have even finalized the suppliers yet.

There's bound to be some leaks no matter how hard Ford tries to keep it under wraps. If someone was stupid enough to leak the Jalopnik pics (assuming those were third party) wait until more suppliers get involved and companies with more "arms length" dealings with Ford in general.
Oh I'm sure we'll get more leaks as time goes on. I'm just crossing my fingers they don't screw this up and invest in nicer interior options across the board. If I remember right Fiat added an extra $150 a car and it made a huge improvement to the Chrysler products.

OP
OP

StangFX

10% diet? yes please.

"But I think at the end of the day, what those cultures do want in a Mustang is its 'Americanism.' So to maintain a lot of the traditional iconic elements of the design whether it be the silhouette of the vehicle, the two single headlamps, the articulating rear lamps, those are things are I think are iconic and even non-American markets will look for."

Also same basic silhouette. Wonder if that means no full fastback or just referring to long hood/short deck.

OP
OP

KZStang

Oh I'm sure we'll get more leaks as time goes on. I'm just crossing my fingers they don't screw this up and invest in nicer interior options across the board. If I remember right Fiat added an extra $150 a car and it made a huge improvement to the Chrysler products.
If IRS was a $100 compromise at the time Ford decided to drop it, I'm sure it wouldn't take much $ per vehicle to spruce up the interior with nicer finish. Tech options may be another story, but let's leave those as options checkboxes. The stock Mustang should be high quality and lean.

OP
OP

Somms

Pardon the stupid question but what are "articulating rear lamps"

?

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
If IRS was a $100 compromise at the time Ford decided to drop it, I'm sure it wouldn't take much $ per vehicle to spruce up the interior with nicer finish. Tech options may be another story, but let's leave those as options checkboxes. The stock Mustang should be high quality and lean.
I'm fine with there being a lot of check boxes for options. However, things like auto climate control shouldn't be packaged with an outdated NAV system for $2k. Exterior wise I hope they keep the HID headlights and LED tails across the board. It gives the Mustang a more premium look across the board.

mykrrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FoST

I'm gonna have to hit up Dad's old boss for details. :ford:

OP
OP

GTsquid

I'm gonna have to hit up Dad's old boss for details. :ford:
Yes please!

I hope he's an artist, bring a pen and pad just in case :D

EDIT: Just realized what you were talking about. Telnack or Reed?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Looks like it is basically the same thing I was told yesterday. The car is drop dead gorgeous. That said, it is Mustang through and through at every angle...

I was told yesterday that the fender flares (hips and shoulders) are almost equal in muscle tone. The rest of the car ties the muscle into a very sporty, thoroughbred that appears to be in motion. It has a Cobra Roadster-like stance.

Just to clarify some of my weight predictions, I was solely basing my initial predictions from what Ford's initial goal was... Now, I'm finding that the goal was not in pounds but percentage... They wanted to pull 10% of the S197's 3620lbs out of the S550.

What does that equal in pounds? 362lbs!!!!

Can they do it? with UHSS and hydro-formed panels.... Yes, it can be done using technology that is widely used within their lineup as we type...

OP
OP

KZStang

I'm fine with there being a lot of check boxes for options. However, things like auto climate control shouldn't be packaged with an outdated NAV system for $2k. Exterior wise I hope they keep the HID headlights and LED tails across the board. It gives the Mustang a more premium look across the board.
Yes, the electronics package is overpriced. But they do have to recoupe the sunk costs of making the car able to support such things. It's a delicate balance; they just choose to have the option buyer carry the brunt of it so they can keep the base cost down as much as possible.

HID/LED should remain. It would be a big step backwards for a model whose goal is for a more premium look. There's simply no reason to put them in at this stage. And why do it, when they can watch everyone freak out, only to be happily relieved when they finally show it. :clap2:
Sponsored