Sponsored

Steeda S550 Pro-Action Front Coilovers With Adjustable Rear Ride Height Kit

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
No need to go lower. My car is 3/4" lower, too, seems to like that height.
Sponsored

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
So, I finally got everything installed yesterday and wanted to share some thoughts with everyone on what I think about the kit. First off, thanks to everyone at Steeda for the answers to my questions, quick shipping, and great customer support. The car in question is a 17 LB PP 6 speed with Recaros. The car currently has about 1500 miles on it, and was previously bone stock. My initial plan was to get this car to feel more like a sports car and less like a muscle car. Full disclosure, this is my first American sports car. I've been strictly invested in turbo JDM cars of all types since the early 90's. Needless to say, this thing felt like a Crown Vic in comparison to what I'm used to. My first goal was to stiffen it up. After talking to some guys at Steeda, I think we got a good start on accomplishing said goal. The list of parts is as follows: Steeda LCA Bearing, FRPP Toe Knuckle Bearing, Steeda IRS Subframe Alignment and Bushing Lockout Kit, Steeda Upper Shock Mounts, and finally the full Steeda Pro Action Coilover kit with 275# front springs. I did all of the mods in steps to see their benefits individually. I'll skip all of those impressions and get right to the coilovers. The install was pretty smooth, but there are some things that could be covered a little better in the instructions. Overall though, I was able to figure it out without much help. One thing I was surprised to see is that the front coilover ride height adjustment is just a couple threads from the bottom, and the car isn't THAT low. Another thing that concerned me was that with the threaded collar adjusted that low, in an event that the strut ever becomes fully unloaded, the spring and upper strut thrust bearing will be completely unloaded and free to move about. That doesn't seem right to me. Anyways.......

My initial impression after getting some spirited driving in: DRAMATIC improvement. I was weary about buying "budget" coilovers having had bad experiences in the past. I can happily say that these are a HUGE improvement over stock, and certainly don't feel like a downgrade in any way (other coilovers I've had seemed overly harsh over the small stuff). They handle bumps in the road very nicely, surprisingly nicely actually, and generally give the car much more poise and confidence. The car just behaves better in every way - some of that can be attributed to the other modifications, regardless, this is how it should have been from the factory. Having said that, I still don't feel like they are stiff enough for me. That is totally personal preference though, and I know that I can swap the front springs out for something stiffer (which is one of the reasons I bought this kit), and also crank up the rebound dampening adjustment. So there is that. I think I'll drive it like this for the rest of the season and see how it goes. Thanks again to Steeda and other forum members here that helped me out. Cheers!`

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If you want an even more dramatic improvement, send me your Recaro seats and I'll send you my Premium non-Recaro seats and you can have seats I farted in!

#itried

Kidding, glad you like the setup man. Get yourself to an HPDE and have some fun (safely).

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
If you want an even more dramatic improvement, send me your Recaro seats and I'll send you my Premium non-Recaro seats and you can have seats I farted in!

#itried

Kidding, glad you like the setup man. Get yourself to an HPDE and have some fun (safely).
Ummm, I'll think about it? ;)

I hope to get to an event or two this year. We'll see.

Sponsored

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
One thing I was surprised to see is that the front coilover ride height adjustment is just a couple threads from the bottom, and the car isn't THAT low. Another thing that concerned me was that with the threaded collar adjusted that low, in an event that the strut ever becomes fully unloaded, the spring and upper strut thrust bearing will be completely unloaded and free to move about. That doesn't seem right to me. Anyways.......`
I am with you on this, i think im going to try and get some tender springs. Something like these:https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...g-60mm-tender-spring-each?variant=15148627399

It just seems that with the adjustment that theses things have they would include them so when lifting the car your spring does not set wrong when putting it back on thr ground or the thrust bearing becomes unseated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I am with you on this, i think im going to try and get some tender springs. Something like these:https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...g-60mm-tender-spring-each?variant=15148627399

It just seems that with the adjustment that theses things have they would include them so when lifting the car your spring does not set wrong when putting it back on thr ground or the thrust bearing becomes unseated.
Steeda is checking into the proper tender springs for people with concerns.
On another note, we do not run tender springs on our S550 SCCA T1 Racer.

Steeda Tech

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Steeda is checking into the proper tender springs for people with concerns.
On another note, we do not run tender springs on our S550 SCCA T1 Racer.

Steeda Tech
Awesome. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

SIMS1724

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS Ingot Silver
Quick install question- do you need to use a spring compressor to assemble the fronts?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Quick install question- do you need to use a spring compressor to assemble the fronts?
You should be able to assemble the front with out a spring compressor.

Steeda Tech

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Introduction price 1299.00 Regular price 1699.00

Ready to step up to an adjustable suspension setup on your S550 Mustang? Buy the one with the most research and engineering, and a National SCCA competition proven winner setup. Designed and engineered in the U.S.A! This kit will combine our Pro-Action Front Coilovers and our Adjustable Rear Ride Height Kit!
Steeda S550 Mustang includes custom designed Pro-Action adjustable front struts which feature rebound adjustment. Threaded collars and spring perches offer easy ride height adjustment from stock to 2" lowering.
The Steeda S550 Mustang Front Coilovers also includes our Steeda custom designed adjustable bumpstops! Allowing you to adjust your suspension travel for the ultimate in performance for any application.
The front coilover system also utilizes our Steeda S550 Mustang Camber Plates that provide - 3 degrees of camber adjustment.
Steeda's S550 Mustang Adjustable Rear Ride Height Kit will give you the ability to lower the rear of your S550 Mustang from 3/4" to 1-1/2", this kit allows you to dial in the ride height to your liking. The rear Ride Height Adjusters are made from billet 6061 aluminum in house and Hardcoat anodized for the ultimate in strength and protection. These simply install above the rear springs and come with an included wrench to allow you to adjust your height with ease. The Steeda kit is also designed with a locking set screw to hold your adjustment in place. Add in Steeda's Pro-Action Shocks for even more rear control and reduced wheel hop and body oscillation and you have a winning combination!

Product Benefits
  • Designed, engineered, and tested on winning S550 Mustangs both on the drag strip and road course
  • Ideal for any street or track Mustang
  • Custom designed Pro-Action adjustable front struts with rebound adjustment
  • Tig-welded and CNC machined pieces for exact tolerances
  • Highest quality hardware
  • Increased front grip, turn-in response, and cornering performance
  • Specifically designed for the S550 chassis and front suspension system
  • Ability to lower ride height 2" in front
  • Ability to lower ride height from 3/4" to 1-1/2" in the rear
  • Less damper friction, less side-loading on the shafts, lower internal pressures
  • Bolt-In installation - No permanent modifications required
  • National SCCA Majors competition proven winner setup
  • Made in the USA
  • Lifetime warranty
Continues to set the bar high!

Steeda-Yellow-20-Side-View-Moving-Airport-Hanger.jpg

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The rear adjustable spring set (555 8171) are listed on the Steeda website as 1000-1100 lb/in spring rate, however the spring guide I received (linked below) from a Steeda rep during an online chat lists them at 850-1000 lb/in spring rate progressive.

When I questioned the rep he said the chart is correct, the website is wrong, and that the springs are dual rate. This makes sense because you can see the top coil spacing is tighter meaning it will kill out quickly and the rest are evenly spaced so it's linear from there on.

I would like to get a final, 100% confirmed spring rate for these rear springs, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmn4sqco1xbtadf/Steeda S550 Spring Guide.pdf?dl=0

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
The rear adjustable spring set (555 8171) are listed on the Steeda website as 1000-1100 lb/in spring rate, however the spring guide I received (linked below) from a Steeda rep during an online chat lists them at 850-1000 lb/in spring rate progressive.

When I questioned the rep he said the chart is correct, the website is wrong, and that the springs are dual rate. This makes sense because you can see the top coil spacing is tighter meaning it will kill out quickly and the rest are evenly spaced so it's linear from there on.

I would like to get a final, 100% confirmed spring rate for these rear springs, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmn4sqco1xbtadf/Steeda S550 Spring Guide.pdf?dl=0
850- 1000 lb/in is correct for the 555-8171

Thank you for reaching out!

Steeda Tech
Sponsored