Sponsored

Just installed Ridetech coilovers, (squeak) question

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just had Ridetech coilovers installed, I noticed a small squeak while going over some bumps, like freeway entrances, and bridge connectors, is that normal? Is there a settling period like there is with springs?

I would also need some info on what the rebound and other settings should be at? I think it's a little too soft/bouncy for my liking.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had/have a similar issue, but only seems to occur when the rebound is cranked down below ~8 clicks or so. Anything higher than that and seems to disappear. What spring rates are you running?

JRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
That sounds like what I'm hearing with my BC Racing coilovers. Have you reset your bushings at the new ride height. Its something I've been meaning to do.

Here is an updated pic that may help you guys out.

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had/have a similar issue, but only seems to occur when the rebound is cranked down below ~8 clicks or so. Anything higher than that and seems to disappear. What spring rates are you running?
How can I tell what my spring rate is?

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the default setup is ~300 front/400 rear. [MENTION=14941]apex15stangPP[/MENTION] or [MENTION=16613]RidetechJosh[/MENTION] can confirm.

I would try 7 clicks from full firm front/rear and see if that helps. I know if I go any softer than 8-9 from full firm up front I get the squeak noises up front on bumps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I believe the default setup is ~300 front/400 rear. [MENTION=14941]apex15stangPP[/MENTION] or [MENTION=16613]RidetechJosh[/MENTION] can confirm.

I would try 7 clicks from full firm front/rear and see if that helps. I know if I go any softer than 8-9 from full firm up front I get the squeak noises up front on bumps.
How do I set it to full firm? Do I click it all the way counterclockwise, then 7 clicks clockwise? On both front and back?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I had the same issue when I installed mine. The sound does go away as you put some miles on it. I spoke to Josh at RideTech about this and we both came to the conclusion that the seals on the front struts have a tendency to squeak when under a sharp impact after they are first installed. This goes away as they become more lubricated. It's not as noticeable if the rebound is cranked up since you will not get as much travel over a sharp impact.

I run mine at 4 clicks from the softest setting on the street since I run higher rate springs for the track. The noise went away after approximately a full tank of gas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I clicked counterclockwise until it stopped, then 10 clicks clockwise, and the squeak is now gone, thanks for the help fellas, much appreciated.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just FYI, you are now at 14 clicks from full firm, which is a IMO way too soft and in the range that I would experience your issues.

You should go full clockwise (full firm) then back off 7-8 clicks from there. I think you'll be much happier there. The manual is on Ridetech's site which explains the adjustments.

OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just FYI, you are now at 14 clicks from full firm, which is a IMO way too soft and in the range that I would experience your issues.

You should go full clockwise (full firm) then back off 7-8 clicks from there. I think you'll be much happier there. The manual is on Ridetech's site which explains the adjustments.
I'll try that tomorrow, I think I might prefer that, I like a little bit of a stiffer ride. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I get lots of clunking noises if I ran it very soft with 375 front springs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustinReed

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I get lots of clunking noises if I ran it very soft with 375 front springs.
I get some clunky noises here and there, mainly if I go over a speed bump too quickly, the squeak is gone though.
Sponsored