Sponsored

Should I Attempt Lowering Spring Install Myself?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I just did all this last weekend:

GT350 springs
GT350 front swaybar
GT350R rear swaybar
Steeda camber plates
Steeda adjustable dampers all round
Steeda rear shock mounts
BMR jacking rails
BMR cradle lockout
Steeda alignment sleeves

Only took me 4 hours. Plus two days. :lol:

My tips:
  1. Have an impact wrench. A strong old-style air gun preferably.
  2. Have a 18mm box-end or gear wrench. 18 is used a lot.
  3. I got my car 16" off the ground on jack stands.
  4. I bought a deep impact (lol) socket set for $20 from HF with sizes from 10 to 32mm. It covered everything. I even re-torqued my rear axle nuts with the 32mm socket, and long breaker bar from HF.
  5. You literally need a sledgehammer for the front strut bolts. A dead blow hammer probably won't cover it. I reused my bolts, with blue threadlock.
  6. Do as others said about the cradle for getting out your rear springs. One of us yanked out the spring while the other stood on the hub studs to get it to drop a little more. That person also had one foot on a stool for stability, and don't forget to set the hand brake first!
  7. Don't forget blue threadlock. $2 at HF.
  8. Yeah, CJ videos are great. You can't go wrong.

And BTW, I have a pair of BMR camber bolts for sale, if you're interested.
Sponsored

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Yep. This is the video I used to prepare for a spring install and I'm a professional tech. 'Twas super helpful.
That Vid was perfect for doing this :cheers:, it was funny so many people complain about getting the front strut bolts out as well as the rear springs and he did it like it was no problem.

Anyways it convinced me to do it myself

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
That Vid was perfect for doing this :cheers:, it was funny so many people complain about getting the front strut bolts out as well as the rear springs and he did it like it was no problem.

Anyways it convinced me to do it myself
That's bc he took them them out hard the first time, then put them back in to make the video. They were easier the second time. :lol:

I wonder what would go wrong if these videos were made without the rock background music?

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
All this talk about pry bars and jumping up and down to get the rear springs out is not needed.

The whole reason people have issues with the rear springs is because they do not unhook the exhaust hangers( the ones in the middle of the car and the ones under the rear bumper).

Unhook those and remove the cradle main bolts(one side only at a time) while supporting the weight using a jack. Once the bolts are removed slowly lower the jack and the cradle will drop low enough for the spring to fall out.

If you don't remove the exhaust hangers. The cradle will only drop as low as the muffler allows and stop. All that jumping up and down and prying is putting undue stress on the exhaust.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
All this talk about pry bars and jumping up and down to get the rear springs out is not needed.

The whole reason people have issues with the rear springs is because they do not unhook the exhaust hangers( the ones in the middle of the car and the ones under the rear bumper).

Unhook those and remove the cradle main bolts(one side only at a time) while supporting the weight using a jack. Once the bolts are removed slowly lower the jack and the cradle will drop low enough for the spring to fall out.

If you don't remove the exhaust hangers. The cradle will only drop as low as the muffler allows and stop. All that jumping up and down and prying is putting undue stress on the exhaust.
All you have to do is have one side's main bolts fully out, and the other side's loose to get a couple mm of air between bushing and body and no prying/jumping on is necessary.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
All you have to do is have one side's main bolts fully out, and the other side's loose to get a couple mm of air between bushing and body and no prying/jumping on is necessary.
There are definitely different approaches to tackling a job.

Removing the exhaust hanger method will allow the one side you are working on to drop all the way down so you have plenty of room to remove and install the springs regardless of their overall length.

The biggest benefit doing this route is you eliminate the cradle from shifting and really messing up your rear alignment. Cracking the bolts on both sides is more of a risk of it shifting.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Removing the exhaust hanger method will allow the one side you are working on to drop all the way down so you have plenty of room to remove and install the springs regardless of their overall length.

The biggest benefit doing this route is you eliminate the cradle from shifting and really messing up your rear alignment. Cracking the bolts on both sides is more of a risk of it shifting.
Yeah, but if you already have something to center the cradle (alignment sleeves or cradle lockout kit or both), it'll be good.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)

We removed the exhaust hangers and still had to stand on the rear hub. It got us that last inch to take out the full length OEM springs.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I was going to toss my rear springs anyway. Once I unloaded them, I took an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade and sliced the springs. They came right out and the new ones went right in. Easy peasy.

Sponsored

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Yeah, but if you already have something to center the cradle (alignment sleeves or cradle lockout kit or both), it'll be good.

Absolutely, agree. Those items will definitely get things all back into place.

We removed the exhaust hangers and still had to stand on the rear hub. It got us that last inch to take out the full length OEM springs.
Interesting. I have done 2 air ride setups and 3 non-air setups and that method worked every time for me.

Just proves there is not one way always being the right way to do something. This is what makes this forum so great. Everyone is willing to help each other out and share their experiences. :thumbsup:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Easy stuff if you have the tools, just time consuming.

I've done two now, mine and a buddy's.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Easy stuff if you have the tools, just time consuming.

I've done two now, mine and a buddy's.
Same. Was much easier and faster the second time on [MENTION=17191]mindys[/MENTION] car.

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
there are probably different rear spring lengths according to each trim level.

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
You all r bloody liars!! This is almost a nightmare. The front spindle bolts are torqued and pressed..like wtf..and I used the sucky spring compressor. Two hours and 75% done with the front passenger side.
Sponsored