Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
Cool, I'll have to redo the overlays. I doubt it'll be much different, but it's always good to have the correct data.

As for that second link, are you sure that's a graph of a 2018? Is it a manual 15 vs auto 18? I haven't seen any 18's nosedive like that before 7000 rpm.

OP
OP
UAmach1

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Cool, I'll have to redo the overlays. I doubt it'll be much different, but it's always good to have the correct data.

As for that second link, are you sure that's a graph of a 2018? Is it a manual 15 vs auto 18? I haven't seen any 18's nosedive like that before 7000 rpm.
The 2nd is 15-17 manual. Stock and after tuning, but not sure of the mods.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Holy shit really? You also can't add gears and powerband either. My point was that its all those things in combination.

Also by your explanation a car with 200hp/200tq is just as fast as the same car with 200hp/150tq.
Prove to me that a car with less torque has to be slower. :cheers:

Try a Google search for a 1/4 mile calculator that uses torque rather than HP to do the math. :)

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Prove to me that a car with less torque has to be slower. :cheers:

Try a Google search for a 1/4 mile calculator that uses torque rather than HP to do the math. :)
I'll just say in theory, he is correct. Horsepower measures power over time, which is important for acceleration in a quarter mile that is measured in time. And that cars that are identical(horsepower weight) except for torque should run the same quarter mile, with correct gearing, regardless of torque. BUT that is theory, and that is not always the same in practice, coupled with the fact you arent going to see that pretty much ever. Horsepower really is the deciding factor in quarter mile times, though (again with everything else being the same)

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0401-torque-horsepower-guide/

Sponsored

gmlt1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Fast street cars
ET comes with a better launch but mph is a derect result of HP as long as the driver is good . Take a look at a 2016 camaro 10 spd auto vs a 6 spd manual tested at the same place and time. These numbers are from GM authority for what it's worth. 10 spd auto ran 12.2@115mph and the 6spd ran 12.4@115mph. This is the same auto as in the 18 mustang other than slightly different ratios.

There are no 10 speed autos in the SS Camaro, 10 speed in the ZL1 only, that comparison is a 8 speed auto. The 10 speed Ford trans and the 10 speed Camaro trans have almost identical gear ratios. The 10 speed auto could be good for another 1/10th in the Camaro.

gmlt1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Fast street cars
I'll just say in theory, he is correct. Horsepower measures power over time, which is important for acceleration in a quarter mile that is measured in time. And that cars that are identical(horsepower weight) except for torque should run the same quarter mile, with correct gearing, regardless of torque. BUT that is theory, and that is not always the same in practice, coupled with the fact you arent going to see that pretty much ever. Horsepower really is the deciding factor in quarter mile times, though (again with everything else being the same)

Not so sure on that, take the same 18 460 hp Ford engine and just bump torque to 460. Same car, same gear, same trans etc wouldn't the car with more torque have a better 60ft and a better ET?

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
Not so sure on that, take the same 18 460 hp Ford engine and just bump torque to 460. Same car, same gear, same trans etc wouldn't the car with more torque have a better 60ft and a better ET?
Maybe. But grip is probably an even bigger limiting factor than the torque difference IMO.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Horsepower integrated. Particularly the area under which it stays going through the gears. The higher torque of the Camaro doesn't matter once you're past first gear because the 10 speed keeps it at peak power pretty much the entire time, since that area is flat.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

When you bump the torque but leave the HP the same you are effectively lowering the powerband in the RPM range. The torquier(sp) car will be quicker in the beginning but the higher RPM car will be faster in the top end but both will have about the same 1/4 ET. This is assuming neither is running out of gear.
Sponsored