Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Which I already do after some spirited driving during the hot summer days, LOL!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Which I already do after some spirited driving during the hot summer days, LOL!
Which is natural, but when the engine bay is THAT hot.... it's easier to contain the heat in the turbo, wrap the charge pipes and exhaust so it keeps engine bay as a whole cooler whilst driving.

Adding blanket wont make a difference to use when we 'stop' driving and let the engine cool itself off. :thumbsup: So no real negative impact on the turbo, but, could impact the rest of the car.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
It's a water / oil cooled turbo aint it? it'll be fine lol as long as after extreme driving I don't shut the car off and I pop hood and let the coolant and oil do it's job it's fine.
That same reasoning works for the components you are trying to protect with a turbo blanket. If you assume the layout of the engine bay--including the stock heat shield--was designed to ensure turbo heat doesn't adversely affect under-the-hood components, then why do you need a turbo blanket?

If you are increasing the boost significantly beyond stock then it might behoove you to take some under-the-hood measurements to determine if a blanket is warranted, otherwise I don't see the benefit of a turbo blanket. This is especially true if you don't have data on heat limits for the turbo and exhaust system components, data which presumably the factory DOES have, and which presumably was factored in to the decision whether or not to equip the car with a turbo blanket rather than a simple heat shield.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
That same reasoning works for the components you are trying to protect with a turbo blanket. If you assume the layout of the engine bay--including the stock heat shield--was designed to ensure turbo heat doesn't adversely affect under-the-hood components, then why do you need a turbo blanket?

If you are increasing the boost significantly beyond stock then it might behoove you to take some under-the-hood measurements to determine if a blanket is warranted, otherwise I don't see the benefit of a turbo blanket. This is especially true if you don't have data on heat limits for the turbo and exhaust system components, data which presumably the factory DOES have, and which presumably was factored in to the decision whether or not to equip the car with a turbo blanket rather than a simple heat shield.
I would guess the good old Ecoboost Mustang has a heat shield because of $ compared to $$$...:crazy:

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
^ I would agree

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
^ I would agree
I also agree, this is simply a solution looking for a problem scenario similar to the catch can debate. It all looks its great on the surface but the more you consider the less you actually know what your doing and why? There is no evidence that this application needs a turbo blanket in appose to the existing shield also considering the amount of space in between the engine bay makes me believe there is even less reason, there are too many variables that have not been answered or tested.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
:headbonk:
Yeah, there're a lot of mods installed based on guesses... :D
:headbonk:

I did not say anything about mods. I am referring to cost to :ford: for the extra research and development for a turbo blanket over using a heat

shield that would have a lower cost if none for research and development...:clap2: $ to $$$...

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
Wrapping the pipes creates more heat IN the pipes, this leads to faster turbo spooling. Its also a godsend on track days when you need work on the car and not burn the crap out of yourself. For non stainless piping, wrapping the piping can lead to premature rusting of the piping.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Wrapping the pipes creates more heat IN the pipes, this leads to faster turbo spooling. Its also a godsend on track days when you need work on the car and not burn the crap out of yourself. For non stainless piping, wrapping the piping can lead to premature rusting of the piping.
My pipes are stainless so that's fine.

The heat in the pipes is fine, it's more not burning my engine components and what not.

heat shield only does so much. I'm already pushing more boost than stock, and engine temps are getting considerably hotter. I'm really only referencing it as my shit got RED HOT when dyno running.

For ref.... here's my turbo....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbMTB8Sle5I/?taken-by=steve_mander

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
There's no question that turbo blankets can increase turbo performance, but there ARE tradeoffs. A wrapped turbo is more difficult to visually inspect, and retaining the heat will affect durability. Same goes for stainless piping.

And stainless can indeed corrode, it just needs to be heated enough to cause embrittlement and carbon precipitation. Wrapping your exhaust pipe will increase the heat and accelerate these phenomenon. And you will have to unwrap them to inspect them.

Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't wrap your turbo and exhaust system, I'm just saying you should know the pros and cons, and that the pros outweigh the cons for your particular application. When you're running a turbo on a tightly cowled race car at 50 psi a blanket is pretty much a requirement. On a daily driver with an engine compartment as big as the EcoBoost's, I think some study is in order.

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I fully agree with knowing the pro's and cons, hense the reason for the topic.

there's some that state that trapping the heat ont he turbo will cause adverse effects, however my thinking is as long as you dont go and slam the car around and shut the engine off straight away the internal cooling mechanisms will cool it down to a suitable temp?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I fully agree with knowing the pro's and cons, hense the reason for the topic.

there's some that state that trapping the heat ont he turbo will cause adverse effects, however my thinking is as long as you dont go and slam the car around and shut the engine off straight away the internal cooling mechanisms will cool it down to a suitable temp?
Ahhh! Asking the question is the first step to getting the answer. What is the design thermal limit of the turbo? What is the heat rejection capability of the installed cooling system? What temp will the turbo attain with/without a blanket?

Maybe even before you get to those you might ask are any underhood components really in danger of heat damage from the current installation? Air is a horrible conductor, especially moving air, so the primary concern is really IR heat, not heating of the air in the engine compartment. You said you're concerned because your turbo got "red hot" while on the dyno. That really looks impressive, and a red hot chunck of metal certainly emits a boatload of IR heat. But the turbo doesn't run red hot like that all the time, only under full boost. On the other hand, it doesn't have to get red hot to emit significant IR heat. On the other, OTHER hand, you don't need a blanket to deflect IR heat, a heat shield is all you need.

So many considerations!!

Most people get to this point and realize there is a boatload of research and testing required to get the answers. Absent the data, the answer to your question is no one knows; all you can do is speculate and estimate. Speculation and estimation are fine for exigent circumstances, or for temporary solutions. But if your goal is getting maximum performance and durability out of your engine components you need data.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I think a good middle ground would be making a heat shield for the back of the turbine housing to simply direct the radiant heat away from the block. For the #3 conspiracy theorist ya know. Probably the route I'm going to take
Sponsored