Sponsored

Engine start/stop

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
One thing I wasn't quite able to puzzle out from the owner's manual... What happens when you hit the engine start/stop button at speed? Like, you're cruising along the highway at 70 mph, reach over to adjust the radio volume without looking, but hit too low and push the start/stop button. Does the engine shut off? Do you then have to come to a complete stop before starting it again?

If not, what happens if the throttle gets stuck open? You throw it in neutral and coast to a stop, but will the start/stop button then work with the engine at redline?
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I haven't read the manual on that part yet but with other cars to stop the engine it requires you to hold it for a few seconds before it'll shutoff to prevent that from happening. But I'll read up and get back to ya.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok it is a little confusing but on page 124 it talks about being able to stop the engine while moving and being able to restart the engine by switching to neutral. It will probably be best learned by playing around with it, while going over the instructions as it's explanation of turning the engine off while moving is the most confusing as it discusses stopping the vehicle before hitting the off button :shrug:

But to answer your question directly, it looks like you can accidentally turn it off but likewise you can restart it while moving. At least that's how i read it. Some of this stuff is reason enough for me to want a standard key. While I like the cool factor of the button and the lack of dangling keys by my knee's, I feel starting and stopping your vehicle should be a much simpler process.

OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Ok it is a little confusing but on page 124 it talks about being able to stop the engine while moving and being able to restart the engine by switching to neutral. It will probably be best learned by playing around with it, while going over the instructions as it's explanation of turning the engine off while moving is the most confusing as it discusses stopping the vehicle before hitting the off button :shrug:

But to answer your question directly, it looks like you can accidentally turn it off but likewise you can restart it while moving. At least that's how i read it. Some of this stuff is reason enough for me to want a standard key. While I like the cool factor of the button and the lack of dangling keys by my knee's, I feel starting and stopping your vehicle should be a much simpler process.
Yeah, that's the section I couldn't quite puzzle out in the manual... Like you said, probably just going to have to parse it out once we get the cars.

And I'm in agreement on the last part. While it's nifty and all to not have to take your keys out of your pocket to start the car, I think it's a solution for something that wasn't a problem. I just have too many nightmares of old cars of mine stalling on the highway / in the middle of an intersection / in traffic way too many times for me to be entirely comfortable with there no longer being a physical switch between me and the ignition. Remembering the frantic gas-pedal pumping dance with the ignition of my old Corolla as I desperately tried to get it started on the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge without flooding the engine makes me nervous as to what will happen in a car with an ignition "button" that suddenly fails.

nbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
It will probably require you to be in park to switch off the engine.

Sponsored

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
It will probably require you to be in park to switch off the engine.
That is going to be hard for the manual transmission folks....

Qwkynuf

Jshsharp03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Anyone remember the "run away cars" because they couldn't turn off the car? All vehicles have the ability to hold down the button to shut the engine down no matter what gear you are in.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
How does this impact being able to roll start a manual trans car? Not that many people have cause to anymore, but I am curious. I have, on more than one occasion, shut my engine off while at speed and popped it back on in 5th gear once I turned the key back to the "on" position (I get an occasional nonsensical low coolant light that cycles off with the ignition on my '99).

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ignition will have to be turned on I assume. There are three button lets call them "positions" Off, On, and Start.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Ignition will have to be turned on I assume. There are three button lets call them "positions" Off, On, and Start.
You control the on or start ignition positions based in whether you have your foot on the brake when you press the button. If you have your foot on the brake, pressing the button will start your car. If you don't have you foot on the brake, pressing the button will just turn on the ignition.

If you are driving, it is not get clear how you would turn off the engine. The manual basically says to stop the car then turn it off by holding the button for a full second or pressing it three times quickly. But if you've already stopped the car I do t know why they are saying you need to hold the button or press it a bunch. I think if you hold it or press it the three times, you will shut off the engine even if the car is still moving. Then, while rolling, you can put the car in neutral and restart the engine by pressing the button.

I have the keyless start on my 2008 Volvo, and it has turned out to be one of my favorite features. That's the family car, so it is more important to have the easy access due to having groceries, kids stuff, and other junk in hand, but even when my hand are free it's nice to be able to just leave the keys in my pocket. I was surprised how much I like the convenience. Glad to see the Mustang has it. Just imagine how few recalls GM would have had if they had only used this type of start 10 years ago!

-T

Sponsored

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
you can't turn off the engine while driving
I tried it on my Focus ST just to see what would happen. When I tried it at 20 mph nothing happened

Chambo007

Threads
Reaction score
should have to be in park on AT or foot on the break on for manual. the way mine works now is I have to put in in park and have my foot on the break to stop or start the engine.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
you can't turn off the engine while driving
I tried it on my Focus ST just to see what would happen. When I tried it at 20 mph nothing happened
If that's true, that bothers me a little. I had an incident in one of my previous Mustangs where the throttle got stuck full-open. Had I not been able to turn off the engine, I suspect it would have been damaged.

Though the need to turn off the engine while driving should be pretty rare, it does happen.

Esfoad

Threads
Reaction score
On my Taurus I do have to have the foot on the brake to start but not to shut down, I simply push the button and it shuts off. I have not tried to shut down while in motion so I cannot speak to that.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the manual.
startstop.jpg
Sponsored