Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
The truth of the matter is that people pay more for mods that equate to no horsepower.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
That's totally fair, especially if you don't require additional utility or awd etc.

Drive it, that's what it was built for.
Totally understand a winter beater...I lived in Michigan most of my life.

I'm not surprised Ford recommends the lower hp fuel on the car they're contractually obligated to warranty. The power difference between 87 and 93 is around 8-10rwhp, a bit more in the mid range. 91 is a lot closer, its probably 3-4rwhp off at peak power.

Assuming you're getting roughly what the 5.0's "Combined" (19 mpg) mpg rating is, in order to save $450 a year saving 50 cents a gallon you'd need to drive almost 18,000 miles a year. Is that about right? That's about 35% above the average. Assuming no fuel economy difference your average driver is looking at $340. It's hard to test in the city, but I have tested this on long trips, and I get between 1.1 and 1.4 more mpg with 93 than I do 87. Going off local prices (1.90 for 87 and 2.40 for 93), rounding down to 1 mpg, and assuming roughly the same gains in the city, the price difference between 93 and 87 octane driving 13,000 miles in a year (average) is drops down to $260 a year or about $21 a month.

No doubt the horsepower difference is minimal, but so is the cost.

I'll pay ~260 a year for 8-10 peak rwhp and a tad more in the mid range. But I can understand why some people wouldn't want to. It's all down to personal preference.

To those saying he's too cheap to buy 87, stop being insecure that someone is choosing something different than you. He has his reasons. His reasons might not matter to you, so what. Buy whichever you want. I think a case could be made for either choice.
I won't fault someone for paying the extra for premium. I simply chose not to spend the extra, as it is not noticeable on my daily drives. I think people still think that by putting premium fuel in their cars that the engine will last longer, or that premium fuel burns cleaner....which just isn't true.

Most people do that to keep the paint in pristine condition not because they're worried about resell, but because they love their car and want it looking as new as possible.

Speaking as someone who wishes he could save his car for the weekend, and deeply cares about his paint, rain really throws you a curve ball. There's a lot of extra attention that goes into cleaning a car that's gone through the rain and even then you'll still get micro-scratches.

Maybe my next car will be a garage queen :)
I'm sorry, I just don't understand it. I won't fault people...but lets be real here...these aren't custom built hot rods, they are mass produced pony cars. Have you ever been to someones where they put clear plastic covers on their furniture? You can still sit on them, but you'll never truly appreciate them for what they are.

As for garage queens....my only one will be a self built factory five cobra replica with a 427 side oiler. And still, I'll drive it to work on a regular basis (weather permitting). That's as close to a garage queen as I'll get. :thumbsup:

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
I'm sorry, I just don't understand it. I won't fault people...but lets be real here...these aren't custom built hot rods, they are mass produced pony cars. Have you ever been to someones where they put clear plastic covers on their furniture? You can still sit on them, but you'll never truly appreciate them for what they are.
I think a better comparison is refusing to sit on a couch in dirty/sweaty clothes, but not having an issue sitting on a couch if you're wearing clean clothes.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I think a better comparison is refusing to sit on a couch in dirty/sweaty clothes, but not having an issue sitting on a couch if you're wearing clean clothes.
How about this anology.

I can chose to live in a climate controlled bubble and not experience life. I wouldn't risk getting dirty or sick, but I also wouldn't experience all life had to offer.

OR

I can choose to live life to the fullest. No need to worry about getting dirty or sick. If it happens, I'll clean myself or heal.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
How about this anology.

I can chose to live in a climate controlled bubble and not experience life. I wouldn't risk getting dirty or sick, but I also wouldn't experience all life had to offer.

OR

I can choose to live life to the fullest. No need to worry about getting dirty or sick. If it happens, I'll clean myself or heal.
I'll pick the middle ground. I'm not covering my furniture, but I'm also not putting my muddy boots up on my coffee table.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't living life to the fullest include getting more hp out of your car by using 93 octane? :lol:

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'll pick the middle ground. I'm not covering my furniture, but I'm also not putting my muddy boots up on my coffee table.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't living life to the fullest include getting more hp out of your car by using 93 octane? :lol:
Touche' lol. :cheers:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
What's with the Europeans banning red tail light lenses? There's simply something wrong with clear tail lights... They need to be RED!! :D
:popcorn:
Nobody knows, every car has red taillights here. Some guy at Ford just has to love the clear ones. Don't get me wrong, the clear lenses can look awesome on some color, but the bad thing is they look totally pink when you have the lights on and it's not completely dark outside :shrug:

I also found this pic. The facelift look really horrible compared to the old one here :ninja:
19533950_447394475640027_1797007397454086144_n.jpg

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Nobody knows, every car has red taillights here. Some guy at Ford just has to love the clear ones. Don't get me wrong, the clear lenses can look awesome on some color, but the bad thing is they look totally pink when you have the lights on and it's not completely dark outside :shrug:

I also found this pic. The facelift look really horrible compared to the old one here :ninja:
Too much space with no pony in my opinion. Looks better on the old ones because the opening isn't as large.

Edit: there is a pony but you can't see it and it doesn't break up the space well....

Last edited:

Sponsored

FireDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma / 2012 HD Fatboy Lo
I thought the 15-17 grill was too big. This is just silly. Especially with the little flippers underneath.

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
Not sure this is a fair comparison given that the 2017 has some aftermarket modes on it. Albeit, the 2017 front end certainly looks a lot better in this picture.

Gibbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Monaro CV8 '05 , Mustang GT 18 on order.
What's with the Europeans banning red tail light lenses? There's simply something wrong with clear tail lights... They need to be RED!! :D
:popcorn:
It's not that red is banned, but Euro and Aus must have seperate orange/yellow indicators. The sequential red only ( very cool ) is banned!

So I'd say that Ford determined it was more important to have the 3 segments the same colour, than have 2 red and one orange/ yellow.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
It's not that red is banned, but Euro and Aus must have seperate orange/yellow indicators. The sequential red only ( very cool ) is banned!
That's not true. Most cars have completely red glasses on the rear lights. You only see the yellow orange turn signal when it's on. The only thing that must have clear glasses is the White light when driving in reverse, but that's in the bumper on the Mustang. New Peugeots even have red vertical tribars as taillights...

Just take a look at this video from the current Audi A6, the housing is red.
[ame]

Or the same on the Audi TT
[ame]

Having clear taillights on the Mustang is just stupid. Ford did it definitely not for european law - But maybe it's necessary in China, Dubai, New Zealand or where else they also sell the export model :doh:

Too much space with no pony in my opinion. Looks better on the old ones because the opening isn't as large.

Edit: there is a pony but you can't see it and it doesn't break up the space well....
I think the biggest mistake on the facelift is that the upper grille goes all way up to the front bumper. The PreFL has the grille set 1-2 inches right into the bumper, so that you have the body colored insert before the grille begins. This helps creating the jaw-like mouth on the PreFL.
Also the new chrome surroundings around the headlight is creating some kind of comic-eyes

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
The new front really creates a distraction with that gap between the hood and front bumper. Just odd that they mushed down everything.
Sponsored