Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
They usually have to ask or they buy as is. Did you remember signing any papers declaring any mods or such?
No, I don't recall signing anything like that. Certainly nothing where I listed mods or checked a box saying it didn't have mods, unless it was buried deep within the main contract.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
No, I don't recall signing anything like that. Certainly nothing where I listed mods or checked a box saying it didn't have mods, unless it was buried deep within the main contract.
Legally - the dealership is suppose to due their due diligence as they are the merchants or "experts". The buyer has to beware. Like I would never buy a used Subaru WRX cause the dealer would likely be pulling my chain without them offering me a warranty.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Has there been any info released as to if (or when) Ford will be offering a revised tune for the 2018’s??

Based on what I have read so far in the end of this thread is that the Ford 2015-17 tune is not compatible with the 2018 - correct?

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Just wanted to provide an update, I"m now at 35k miles and no holes in the block so far :-). Majority of cars that failed engines, I think all but one happened under 30k. I hammer the throttle all the time merging onto highways and especially on open back country roads (lots of farm land so you can see way out). I've topped out 4th about 100 times now....I've done 15~20 minutes of constant road course type driving (full throttle in any straight or corner exit) with a full passenger load and even with a bad belt tensioner (before I realized it was slipping the serpentine belt), I did not have any issues other than partial throttle was inconsistent until the tensioner was replaced.

Only other problem I've had with the car, which is not tune related, is a whirring / whining sound during cold starts for about 1~2 minutes typically, some times the noise fades into a whirring / humming sound that remains. Tried removing belts (AC and serpentine while idling) but couldn't tell a difference since it wasn't whining when I tried it. Sounds like a classic pulley bearing or power steering pump whine (i realize the car has electric steering). Still trying to track down it's source, but car runs like a champ other than that (no CEL, great throttle response, good gas mileage, makes great power, no oil consumption).

Note that the whining sound when cold started before it was tuned by FP last winter so it has nothing to do with that in case anyone was concerned. Also that's the beauty of the Ford Performance tune, you can take it into the dealer. My local dealer is having a Ford field engineer come to look at the car since neither they nor I can pinpoint the source of this whining sound. Not transmission related either since it occurs while in neutral or while driving (6-spd manual). Even if it's something internal, that's what warranties are for! If anyone has any ideas on the source, I'm all ears. I believe it to be most likely a sealed bearing, not an oil lubricated internal bearing due to the nature of the sound. Turbo bearing, rod bearing, main bearings, cam bearings etc. typical growl when they go bad, not whine and they would not last long in a high pressure turbo engine before catastrophic failure. Intensity of the whine varies with engine RPM just like a pulley bearing, so I'm still thinking it's an external sealed bearing somewhere up front.

I did not personally witness test the car with AC compressor belt off that the dealer said they did as I was thinking it may be a compressor pulley bearing, I only tested the serpentine belt myself and couldn't tell a difference due to the fact that it wasn't really whining much when I had the time to check it, so nothing definitive. The dealer had it 3 nights (waited for it to sit and started up cold as that's when it happens, yes the provided me a loaner car, all I had to do was return it with the tank filled back up to where it was). So assuming they actually took the AC compressor belt off and the serpentine belt off before a cold start but the sound remained, then the issue could be more internal, it maybe could be an exhaust leak, I've heard some exhaust leaks that sound more like a whirring sound, so checking around the exhaust might be the next step. But I digress...

The inter cooler and FP tune make the EB a good sports car option (wrapped in a muscular body) that will beat out any of it's competitors in this category handily. You get fuel economy on par with a mid sized sedan to boot which is a big plus for those that drive a lot like I do. But no it won't turn your EB into a GT, especially not even close to the new 2018 GT 10A (unless your comparing it to a pre-coyote GT from 2010 and older, in that case it will). If you want a GT, buy a GT because the EB just is NOT a GT...never will be. I still plan on doing a V8 swap once I've gotten the life out of the car as is in 5~7 years when it will be relegated to a weekend toy instead of my daily, but for now it's a lot of fun to drive each day and on trips.

BTW, if anyone notices they start to get a lethargic partial throttle response but can't find any reason for it, check your belt tensioner. With mine slipping it was casing low alternator voltage and higher cylinder head temps, but not enough to have the nannies kick in or throw a CEL, but it was affecting timing / fueling etc. During WOT the rotational velocity seemed to give it enough bite to function close to normal so I wasn't aware of it until I started looking for the source of this whining / whirring noise when I finally got sick of it happening.

Did a bit of digging and found a few other EB's with bad tensioers. One the instances the spring failed completely and then their CEL came on and the car shut off due to over heating. With mine the spring snapped a few coils, but still had enough coils to keep the belt on, it was just very weak, as in I could push it down with just 2 fingers. The new tensioner design is a bit different, slightly different housing so it may have been prone to failure and I"m sure is used in all the other 2.3L EB engine variants (RS, Lincoln etc.). That explains why I've had this inconsistent partial throttle response which for some time I assumed was just a nature of this particular engine, thankfully it turns out not to be!

Last edited:

EcoBond007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost named Hussy
So I have searched for the answers to both of these questions in the past but I just want to confirm my suspicions. First, the warranty on the Procal tune only take you to 36000 miles is that right. My odometer clicked over this morning and I just want to confirm that it doesn't take you the full 60k of the powertrain. Second, do we know of any booms on the Procal tune? I dont think it matters but I'm just curious. I'm a checks and balances kinda guy.

Sponsored

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
TheLion, you said you topped out 4th gear over 100 times. What speed would that be? Thanks.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TheLion, you said you topped out 4th gear over 100 times. What speed would that be? Thanks.
With a 3.73 gearing and a 27.7 inch roll out it's 117 @ 6600 RPM. It gets up to 107 pretty fast, but the last 600 RPM torque falls off fast, so it takes a little longer to rev it out. If one was doing a top speed run, it would better to shift at 6,000~6,100 so you only have to rev out 5th.

EB will always top out at lower speed than a stock GT with the same gearing because the peak RPM limit lower. It will also take longer to get there because it simply makes less power AND power falls off fast after 6k, so you'll be creeping up there after 132 (which is 6k RPM in 5th). Really the car is good up to about 132, which is track speeds, it still pulls decent in 5th, so it's a great track car at track speeds. A GT with a power pack can rev out to 7500 RPM, stock GT can rev out to 7,000 RPM and both make power all the way up. Both versions of the MT-82 (EB/V6 version and the GT version) have a 1:1 in 5th. Mine has a 3.73 Torsen diff from a generous GT owner so it's geared the same as a GT PP in 5th, literally, but slightly lower in the other 4 gears. It will hit 145 at the top of 5th by my calculations. GT is king of the highway and 1/2 long drags, but weight and handling become 50% of the equation on a track and a Ford Tuned EB with an inter cooler and gearing takes back it's power disadvantage in handling on the track.

That's why I got mine, I never intended it to be a GT like so many others seem to try and make it out to be. I intended to smoke other cars in it's class (WRX, 370Z, Infinity G35's, BRZ, Miata, Camaro V6 etc.) and be a good track car while having decent mileage when not on it. At that it excels and looks awesome to boot. I get a lot of compliments on mine with the RTR Tech 7 wheels and other dressings (GT grill, 2.3T badge, GT spoiler, painted calibpers etc.).

Last edited:

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
TheLion, thanks for the info. I’ve got an 18 Eco Premium A10 Performance Package on order. I expect it to be as fast as my 2005 Mustang GT.

I still love driving my 05 GT, but I’m ready for something new. :)

Last edited:

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
With a 3.73 gearing and a 27.7 inch roll out it's 117 @ 6600 RPM. It gets up to 107 pretty fast, but the last 600 RPM torque falls off fast, so it takes a little longer to rev it out. If one was doing a top speed run, it would better to shift at 6,000~6,100 so you only have to rev out 5th.

EB will always top out at lower speed than a stock GT with the same gearing because the peak RPM limit lower. It will also take longer to get there because it simply makes less power AND power falls off fast after 6k, so you'll be creeping up there after 132 (which is 6k RPM in 5th). Really the car is good up to about 132, which is track speeds, it still pulls decent in 5th, so it's a great track car at track speeds. A GT with a power pack can rev out to 7500 RPM, stock GT can rev out to 7,000 RPM and both make power all the way up. Both versions of the MT-82 (EB/V6 version and the GT version) have a 1:1 in 5th. Mine has a 3.73 Torsen diff from a generous GT owner so it's geared the same as a GT PP in 5th, literally, but slightly lower in the other 4 gears. It will hit 145 at the top of 5th by my calculations. GT is king of the highway and 1/2 long drags, but weight and handling become 50% of the equation on a track and a Ford Tuned EB with an inter cooler and gearing takes back it's power disadvantage in handling on the track.

That's why I got mine, I never intended it to be a GT like so many others seem to try and make it out to be. I intended to smoke other cars in it's class (WRX, 370Z, Infinity G35's, BRZ, Miata, Camaro V6 etc.) and be a good track car while having decent mileage when not on it. At that it excels and looks awesome to boot. I get a lot of compliments on mine with the RTR Tech 7 wheels and other dressings (GT grill, 2.3T badge, GT spoiler, painted calibpers etc.).
I have the same vision for my 15 EBPP. I’ve done mostly suspension mods. I’m at 40k and I taking it to the dealer for smoking soon on cold starts. Never gutted the PCV or added a catch can or got a replacement PCV from the dealer. Going to check that tensioner can it replaced easily? I’m getting high cylinder head temps but not all the time and it’s not super hot weather here now either. Cost of the part?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
SFirst, the warranty on the Procal tune only take you to 36000 miles is that right. My odometer clicked over this morning and I just want to confirm that it doesn't take you the full 60k of the powertrain.
You can read the warranty statement here:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2017v2.pdf

Ford Performance covers any damage to your car caused by the tune for 3 yrs/36K from the date of purchase (if you install the tune with 30K miles on the car you get 6K of warranty), with the remainder of your 5 yr/60K power train warranty remaining in effect. Here's the relevant clause:

Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
I specifically asked my local Ford Performance dealer, "Will my New Vehicle Limited Warranty cover the replacement/repair cost if I experience an engine problem found to be caused by the Ford Performance tune AFTER the 3 yr/36K warranty expires but before the 5 yr / 60K power train warranty expires? He gave a wishy/washy response that sounded like "yes," but could just as easily meant "no." I asked for clarification, and he said he'd get back to me. He never called back, and I haven't been able to get him to answer that question via email.

So yes, you get 3 yr / 36K from the date of purchase, but whether you keep the remaining 2 yr / 24K of your power train warranty is unknown.

Second, do we know of any booms on the Procal tune? I dont think it matters but I'm just curious. I'm a checks and balances kinda guy.
I've only heard of one or two here on this forum, but I read claims that the there are more reports on the Facebook group. Dave Pericak, who lead the team that developed the S550 Mustang, and who now heads Ford Performance (at least for now; I've heard he may be leaving) says FP ran their tune on an EB Mustang for 60K miles, then did a tear-down inspection on the engine, finding no abnormal wear.

So take that for what its worth.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can read the warranty statement here:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2017v2.pdf

Ford Performance covers any damage to your car caused by the tune for 3 yrs/36K from the date of purchase (if you install the tune with 30K miles on the car you get 6K of warranty), with the remainder of your 5 yr/60K power train warranty remaining in effect. Here's the relevant clause:

I specifically asked my local Ford Performance dealer, "Will my New Vehicle Limited Warranty cover the replacement/repair cost if I experience an engine problem found to be caused by the Ford Performance tune AFTER the 3 yr/36K warranty expires but before the 5 yr / 60K power train warranty expires? He gave a wishy/washy response that sounded like "yes," but could just as easily meant "no." I asked for clarification, and he said he'd get back to me. He never called back, and I haven't been able to get him to answer that question via email.

So yes, you get 3 yr / 36K from the date of purchase, but whether you keep the remaining 2 yr / 24K of your power train warranty is unknown.

I've only heard of one or two here on this forum, but I read claims that the there are more reports on the Facebook group. Dave Pericak, who lead the team that developed the S550 Mustang, and who now heads Ford Performance (at least for now; I've heard he may be leaving) says FP ran their tune on an EB Mustang for 60K miles, then did a tear-down inspection on the engine, finding no abnormal wear.

So take that for what its worth.
After 400 some drag launches as well. If something fails with a warrantied tune most likely the cause is mfg quality issue. In their tear down. They found no differences in wear over a stock eb in the same test. Its good enough and if by chance one does have issues you have a warranty to lean on. At this point I would not run anything else but the ford p tune on a stock bottom end. Th eres quite a list of holed 2.3s on this forum and by far the majority are aftermarket tunes pushing too much power. For that one is better off with a built bottom end or stepping up to a v8.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
FWIW, the dealer makes no decision on whether a claim is covered by warranty, Ford makes that determination on all warranty work, a lot of things are routine but significant issues Ford will get involved by either having the dealer do some diagnostics or send out a field engineer.

Anything the dealer tells you doesn't mean anything.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
FWIW, the dealer makes no decision on whether a claim is covered by warranty, Ford makes that determination on all warranty work, a lot of things are routine but significant issues Ford will get involved by either having the dealer do some diagnostics or send out a field engineer.

Thats not completely true. When my engine blew it was towed to a dealer closest to my house. I called them up and they wanted proof of any oil changes, service etc. I showed up with a pile of receipts for oil purchases and service work from the shop that does it. Well the shop I work with is a small performance shop so they didn't put any miles in the receipts. So even though you could do the math and get an approx, they start saying well maybe you drove across country and back and the miles might not be even and you might have missed an interval. They would not touch the car until Ford sent someone out, because they were sure it was an issue on my end and could not be Fords fault. They flat out told me this is never going to be covered under warranty.

Now they did not even know it was tuned. So I called my dealership. Told them it blew, told them it was tuned, etc and they had it towed to their place. Next day they tore it down and got pictures to Ford. 24 hours later it was approved for full replacement under warranty. The dealer can fight for a claim or not. By getting it back to my dealer, it saved me $6-7k. So dealers do have an impact. It still ends up in Fords hand but if a dealer is putting any effort into the issue most likely it will get no where.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros

This has been discussed before and is 100% wrong, Ford employs only so many engineers, there are thousands of dealerships with so many claims across the board Ford works closely with it's franchisees to determine what steps should be taken forward upon what is reported by the dealership, so yes a dealership could tip the scales against your favor or simply reject to warranty work on their behalf. All dealerships just as people are not equal across the board. So yes what dealerships says means a lot that's why you hear of people being warrantied while others are not.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Anyone know if you can clean the CAI filter? Mine looks pretty dirty.
Sponsored