Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Hey guys, can anyone help me out with understanding how Ford's Auto Stop/Start system works? I'm asking because when I was in LA last week I got to drive my partner's 2015 F150 Lariat with the 2.7 EcoBoost and it has the Stop/Start system. I'm curious as to how the system starts to motor right back up after turning off.

I noticed that the steering locks when it goes off. Also, according to a tech at Ford, the system activates when you press the brake pedal to a certain position that activates the system.

I just want some sort of literature or explanation as to how this system operates as a whole, because I think it's some of the best technology I've seen on a car to date.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I don't know the Ford specifics, but I'm a tech with Mercedes and it seems the technology is fairly standard. Cars with direct injection benefit from the ability to light a cylinder from a standstill to assist the starter motor in cranking the engine more quickly. For the most part the engine can use a standard starter and just some software to know the position of the crankshaft when the car comes to a stop and then crank as soon as the driver moves off the brake to the accelerator. The DI system can inject fuel and light it on the cylinder closest to its next power stroke. It won't make as much power as a real power stroke but it helps the starter turn the engine over.

Some cars will have a special starter mounted where the flywheel would be and it can crank the engine much more quickly, to the point you barely notice.

The Mustang does not have auto stop/start, BTW. I have a video on my YouTube channel of the auto stop/start in a CLS63 AMG and it works very well.

OP
OP
Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I don't know the Ford specifics, but I'm a tech with Mercedes and it seems the technology is fairly standard. Cars with direct injection benefit from the ability to light a cylinder from a standstill to assist the starter motor in cranking the engine more quickly. For the most part the engine can use a standard starter and just some software to know the position of the crankshaft when the car comes to a stop and then crank as soon as the driver moves off the brake to the accelerator. The DI system can inject fuel and light it on the cylinder closest to its next power stroke. It won't make as much power as a real power stroke but it helps the starter turn the engine over.

Some cars will have a special starter mounted where the flywheel would be and it can crank the engine much more quickly, to the point you barely notice.

The Mustang does not have auto stop/start, BTW. I have a video on my YouTube channel of the auto stop/start in a CLS63 AMG and it works very well.

Thanks for the info. I know the mustang doesn't have that system, but after driving that F150 and experiencing it I was so amazed by it I wondered how that entire system worked. Thanks for the explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored