Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Agreed. Certainly not worth selling an R to obtain. But sometimes things in life just don't work out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It will be a fun car, IMO - but like you said, no coolers = no longevity on the track. and at $45-$50k (depending on options and deals) - I wouldn't say it's going to leave any GT350s butthurt - it's a little less money but also a little less car...so tit for tat.
Hey Jeff,

Some time in the thanksgiving week, I plan to install the MGW shifter, caliperfexion brake studs, and Vorshlag camber plates at my buddies garage. I know you had an interest, so let me know.

picture.jpg

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
There will be much butt hurt incoming once the PP2 starts tearing asses up lol
My ears being filled with FPC music makes my butt essentially unhurt-able. :cheers:

Especially given how much the MSRP has ballooned. My 2012 brembo stripper for 26k was great. I could not imagine paying almost 20k more for the current mustang GT

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Why? The automatic should run 0-60 with an R. That’s about it..

What am I missing?
I have owned S197 and S550 GT's, all modified. I can quantifiably tell you I will never feel butt hurt in the R, NEVER ; ) About the only thing I really care for is the new cluster. Apart from that, meh. Additionally, I much prefer the simplistic layout of the 350 and more so on the R which is why I have a base.

Last edited:

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Why would anyone be butt hurt. The 350 is/was and where it will always be at. Even if you aren’t tearing up the street or track, it’s one of the coolest American cars ever made IMO.
When the gt500 comes out and is nailing hot laps and tearing down the 1/4 in under 10.7 stock, is the 2018 pp2 or GT350 gonna be butt hurt? No, I don’t think so.
It’s all good.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Why would anyone be butt hurt. The 350 is/was and where it will always be at. Even if you aren’t tearing up the street or track, it’s one of the coolest American cars ever made IMO.
When the gt500 comes out and is nailing hot laps and tearing down the 1/4 in under 10.7 stock, is the 2018 pp2 or GT350 gonna be butt hurt? No, I don’t think so.
It’s all good.
Jim, you, like I, can not wait for the 500. The big concern for me is how much dealers will try to gouge for it. I know you are very well connected, and will be the man to have it first. I hope I can work a deal for it when it comes out but in case I cant..... well I will be happy with what I've got. You've been a good friend through the process and I hope it works out for you.

Anyway.... back to selling an R for a pp2.....

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Jim, you, like I, can not wait for the 500. The big concern for me is how much dealers will try to gouge for it. I know you are very well connected, and will be the man to have it first. I hope I can work a deal for it when it comes out but in case I cant..... well I will be happy with what I've got. You've been a good friend through the process and I hope it works out for you.

Anyway.... back to selling an R for a pp2.....
I firmly believe the long running ADMs for this 350R is because of the voodoo. This next one will be a beast but I don't think it's going to lure in the other guys (porche and BMW fans) like this one did. I think it will be fairly easy to get one, especially after the first few months. I'm hoping my dealer can get 3 allocations and if he can, I'll set u up the first year.
Yep back to R for PP2.
Maybe it was because of the manual transmission. Sometimes people aren't good with manuals ;)

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I think you're mistaken if you don't think GT350 owners don't realize it's not the quickest car out there.

Flat-plane crank, 8250RPM redline. If this means nothing to you, you were never the demographic for this car. Mark my words, automotive history was written when the GT350 was released. The upcoming GT, and all the others is just another notch in Fords belt, no matter how advanced or fast it becomes, there will always be a better one on the horizon. But there will only be one GT350 with a screaming, sky high redline flat plane V8. How else do you think it caught the eye of Porsche GT3 owners, Ferrari owners, etc, and why they paid absolutely no attention to this GT, or the 2018 GT.

TL;DR: You're butthurt for all the love the GT350 got.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZAMIRZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
machsmith and Shift nailed it.

This has probably already been covered, but here's my $.02 from someone who's worked in automotive product planning (current job is also in auto, but on the finance side). OEs have access to a lot of statistics, one of which shows what vehicle the person replaced or was previously driving and what car they moved into after selling a certain model. This gives you an idea of what kind of product the buyer is looking to mimic. Obviously there is a lifestyle aspect that weighs heavily where some people's income has risen so they come from a significantly cheaper car or move into an SUV after a sports car because of kids. But if you compare like-to-like, I'm sure once the data is in and validated, the Ford product planners will see a lot of conquest from more expensive Japanese/European luxury sedans, coupes and sports cars. Another interesting thing to look at will be cross-shop of these particular conquests, which looks at what other vehicles were in consideration. I don't think the lower trim Mustangs like the GT were in consideration. This is one of the key drivers of the dealer mark-up. The GT350 is being compared to significantly more expensive cars and its shortcomings (interior, panel fit, oil consumption) are overcome by how well it delivers on the emotional component.

I'm sure the GT with Performance Pack 2 is a great car and it may put up the numbers, but again, from my previous experience, very few people buy based on what the mags say. If that were the case, the new NSX would be a runaway sales success. :p

Ks5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H5318
I wouldn't be but hurt at all, so what if the 18MY is quicker....still not as great as this GT350, and spending 50k+ on a pp2 that will drop by in value by 10's of thousands each year, will still make me smile while I drive my GT350 that was not mass produced. To each his own, I love my 350.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I firmly believe the long running ADMs for this 350R is because of the voodoo. This next one will be a beast but I don't think it's going to lure in the other guys (porche and BMW fans) like this one did. I think it will be fairly easy to get one, especially after the first few months. I'm hoping my dealer can get 3 allocations and if he can, I'll set u up the first year.
Yep back to R for PP2.
Maybe it was because of the manual transmission. Sometimes people aren't good with manuals ;)
I certainly agree with your comment with respect to the Voodoo engine being the biggest reason for the extended run of ADM's on the R model cars.

Having said that I would suggest that there are other factors as well that have lured other brand enthusiasts over to the R model such as being a 2 seat car, carbon fiber wheels, CF rear spoiler, larger and stickier tires, resonator delete, etc. and of course all of the outstanding automotive awards has really helped create an automotive aura for this car not seen for quite some time.

Over 50 years ago I remember very well when the '65 GT350 was launched specifically to take on the Corvettte, Jags and Porsche's in SCCA Racing and we all know how that all went.

Ford built ~14,000 Shelby's over 6 MY's back in the 60's with the 2 seat '65 being the most coveted of all Shelby's with the R models being sold for outrageous money.

My point being is that these new 2 seat R models will be coveted for many years to come as well based on the Voodoo engine and many other factors that have been mentioned.

Growing up and being a young automotive enthusiast way back in the 60's it was my perception that anyone who was serious about road racing, auto crossing etc. went with a GT350 with most of the GT500 crowd back then more focused on either straight line performance and cruising.

It will be interesting to see how the new GT500 is received by the general public. As we all know then Ford launched the GT500 back in 2007 as a "Limited Edition" model with FR producing almost 11,000 cars which certainly is not limited edition number in my books.

If that is the case for the new GT500 I would suggest that ADM's may not be very prevalent subject to the first few hundred cars being sold.

:cheers:

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If GM had created the Voodoo, they’d already would have installed it in the Cadillac, GMC truck line and every othe V8 powered vehicle they make.

And that’s a major reason I won’t be buying GM anymore.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I certainly agree with your comment with respect to the Voodoo engine being the biggest reason for the extended run of ADM's on the R model cars.

Having said that I would suggest that there are other factors as well that have lured other brand enthusiasts over to the R model such as being a 2 seat car, carbon fiber wheels, CF rear spoiler, larger and stickier tires, resonator delete, etc. and of course all of the outstanding automotive awards has really helped create an automotive aura for this car not seen for quite some time.

Over 50 years ago I remember very well when the '65 GT350 was launched specifically to take on the Corvettte, Jags and Porsche's in SCCA Racing and we all know how that all went.

Ford built ~14,000 Shelby's over 6 MY's back in the 60's with the 2 seat '65 being the most coveted of all Shelby's with the R models being sold for outrageous money.

My point being is that these new 2 seat R models will be coveted for many years to come as well based on the Voodoo engine and many other factors that have been mentioned.

Growing up and being a young automotive enthusiast way back in the 60's it was my perception that anyone who was serious about road racing, auto crossing etc. went with a GT350 with most of the GT500 crowd back then more focused on either straight line performance and cruising.

It will be interesting to see how the new GT500 is received by the general public. As we all know then Ford launched the GT500 back in 2007 as a "Limited Edition" model with FR producing almost 11,000 cars which certainly is not limited edition number in my books.

If that is the case for the new GT500 I would suggest that ADM's may not be very prevalent subject to the first few hundred cars being sold.

:cheers:
Great point!!! The Voodoo is the actual unicorn. Ford was clear of their intentions of this engine form the beginning. The FPC is history after the GT350.
Sponsored